ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 08-22-2008, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/t...1/m/8991034913

In reponse to this article all I can say is, it's about time !!!

Even politicians need to show the public where their income is coming from. I think we have a right to know which device manufacturer or drug company is paying our physicians school loans and house payments..

Not sure about anyone else, but I think I am important enough and have the right to know these things when choosing a physician to care for me.
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
Administrator

Toebin, I've been following this story for several weeks now with interest. Frankly, I am surprised that our gov had the brass kahunas (how does one spell that?) to pass the bill.

For the legal-minded folks here in this community, I'd be curious how this bill may create a comparative disadvantage for device makers. E.g., what does "doing business in Mass." really mean? Does Depuy Spine (based in Raynham, Mass.) now have new reporting requirements, but Medtronic and Synthes does not? I find it interesting that the pharma companies are included with the device companies; I am unsure of the consequences for both groups.

And speaking of consequences, how about the law of unintended consequences? Will this result in more reporting and paperwork that is impossible for the consumer access/find? I hope not! If this is truly about "transparency," then let's see how easy it is get the information. If it's buried in a 126-76M-198712-20Z-9998 form on the SEC site, who will take the time to retrieve it?!

Please, not another HIPPA debacle...

I apologize for being cynical. I most certainly believe in the reasoning behind the bill, as TRUE transparency is needed. Almost every day, the news here reports on the Big Dig and how its maintenance (physical & debt) continue to balloon. I've really lost faith in state and federal goverments to execute any program that has more then three moving parts!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 08-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

All very true Harrison..

Devil in the details and all.. if they make a better mousetrap but no one can find it then who does it really help.

I can only hope this IS the beginning of a transparent medical care system... hope still springs eternal for me I guess...
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 08-22-2008, 01:22 PM

interesting... i'll have to read up more on this law. since it is just a Mass law it may end up having unintended consequences like quality physicians choosing to relocate their practices to another state so they don't have to comply.

Or, like Richard mentioned if it only affects Depuy, etc and not their competitors based outside of Mass I'd assume it may drive Depuy and other businesses to relocate and leave the state, or perhaps they'll file some sort of lawsuit. None of the above would be good for the economy of Mass.

I'm not sure how well this law will work since it's just a Mass law. Maybe other states will follow suit.
2009 L4-5 Prodisc ADR removed and revised to XLIF w/posterior instrumentation
massive hemorrhage from tear of inferior vena cava at right iliac vein due to adhesion from Prodisc op
2010 not fused; as a result of complications permanent nerve damage to lumbar plexus causing severe rt leg, hip, groin pain
Old 08-22-2008, 05:55 PM

well if the physicians want to move to the south or mid-west because of more relaxed laws concerning bibes and such then let them go. I bet the whole west coast will follow suit behind MA as will new england.

Prodisc St. Mary's 12/2006 not diagnosed properly pre-op and now have DDD L4/L5, facet calcification L5-S1/L4-L5, mild scoliosis and left knee pain. DDD: C3 through C6
Old 08-22-2008, 08:50 PM

I was going to post this about the responses to the other article re medical marketing but the issue is the same: there is some hysteria and paranoia going on here. Physicians do not get paid per prescription or per device. Where is any evidence that doctors get advances on their house payments??? They may get an honoriarium for giving a talk; they may be invited to a nice dinner at which a talk is presented. Where is the idea coming from that they get paid for using a particular device? Besides, the U.S. Congress has already enacted laws limiting the value of gifts to $50.
Bottom line is that doctors make easy targets and as has been pointed out, surgery and other treatment options are not 100% successful.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 08-23-2008, 04:06 AM

Also, as a smart person pointed out to me, perhaps at the time there were no negative outcomes (or in the outcome literature) at the time.

My concern is w/the journal literature more where funding sources should be revealed; this is being changed.

Additionally, Dr. Regan takes on the most difficult cases e.g. ADR explantation at dangerous levels e.g L4-L5 whereas most doctors would run. He has always treated me with respect although sometimes he's been rushed.

I feel for him taking the heat whereby the other Charite (or fusion type) docs are not mentioned. Also, what person has spinal surgery and seeks only one opinion (I guess this is blaming the victim but I think he's a fundamentally decent guy). Sorry for this semi-rant but nobody is perfect. (Not that anyone asked for my opinion).

ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Harrison:
Frankly, I am surprised that our gov had the brass kahunas (how does one spell that?) to pass the bill.
Harrison: I believe the correct spelling is "cojones"....not to go off on a tangent or anything.....
Good day to all!!

Susan/ERvet
2007-RF @L5-S123, 2mo relief
2008-disco pos @L5-S1, +/-L4-5
Waiting as long as poss for ADR, considering biacuplasty
Don't even ask about the other ortho sx!
New onset left-sided pain Nov 08
Old 08-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Thx Sue, I get it now that I see the Latin derivation....duuuh?!

Just to continue the tangent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cojones

Not to detract from the orginal intent of the post, good points everyone. Very insightful. Hopefully, we'll be able to track the progress of this bill in a meaningful and simple way.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate