ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

Question driving after surgery

My surgery is scheduled for November 18th. Approximately 5 weeks after surgery I am supposed to drive down to North Carolina for Christmas, its a 9 hour drive. Am I going to be able to do this?
1993:MVA
1995:diagnosed with bulging disc C5/6
2000:disk herniated
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
2005-2008: pain meds and muscle relaxers only
ProDisc-C replacement on c5/c6 11/18/08
Old 10-27-2008, 11:33 AM

Default best pillow

Anyone want to chime in on what they think the best pillow is for someone with neck issues?
I've tried the tempurpedic contoured one and found it too hard.
2000-2004:multiple treatments including nerve root block, trigger point injections, epidural steroid injections, pt
Old 10-27-2008, 03:19 PM

For that 9 hour drive, are you doing the driving or are you being a passenger?

that is what i think will be the biggest factor for you. Aslo, have you asked your surgeon about this? They will ultimately be the best advice. for my lumbar surgery I was initially told i wouldn't be allowed to drive myself anywhere for 2-3 months post-op, i guess because of the chance of crash messing things up. i wound up being given the go-ahead at 3 weeks but didn't feel comfortable enough until closer to 6 weeks.

I'm not sure how it differs for cervical patients with regards to the driving issue, but I know I was barely able to drive myself even short distances at 5 weeks post op. I could spend about an hour in the drivers seat before my back got really irritated and most of the time insisted on being a passenger so I could recline. You may be able to do it if your recovery goes smoothly enough, but I would imagine it'd still be a push in terms of your stamina for doing much of anything. It's amazing how much the body can atrophy in terms of general stamina in those first few weeks post-op. I went and visited my coworkers around 5 weeks post-op and was absolutely wiped out by mid-afternoon.

hope this helps.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:26 PM

I had 4 level ADR surgery on November 4th and returned to driving on November 18th. I also drove 10 hours one way to Minnesota to be home for the holidays with Elizabeth's family. I drove my Mother-In-Law all over the place for the Christmas shopping for the time we were there. I then drove 10 hours back on Christmas day so Elizabeth could be there the next day for her after Christmas sale in the store.

I don't recommend you follow my path as I am nuts.

The Temperpedic pillow is hard when it is cold. Your body heat warms it up and your neck molds in to it. This takes a little time and maybe you did not give yourself time to warm it up. I have been using one of the pillows for many, many years and love it.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-27-2008, 09:03 PM

I will be the one driving, and I will be the only one in the car, so I can take it as slow as I like stopping as much as I like, even breaking it up into 2 days if needed. I'd like to avoid flying down if possible because I still then have to rent a car and drive 2.5 hours to my moms, plus the time spent in the airports.

Terry: that sounds like even more driving than I do at the holidays. and driving to Minnesota in the winter can be crazy in itself!
Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Both Terry and I have Prestige cervical disks. My surgeon told me that I could drive 2 weeks after surgery--which I did with no problem, using my soft collar just for my own sense of security. However, I did not drive long distances, as you are proposing. I have gathered from others who have received Pro-Disc C that the advice about driving is more conservative, so there may be a design difference here affecting what you can do post-surgery. The best advice would be to talk with your surgeon about this.

I too have been using the tempurpedic pillows--both the cervical and side sleeper pillows. Prior to surgery, the cervical pillow was actually uncomfortable but now it really does feel good to lie down on it.

Good luck in your surgery!
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6