ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > ADR Frequently Asked Questions

ADR Frequently Asked Questions Find answers to commonly asked questions here. Please do not post comments here, but choose the appropriate forum to make comments on FAQs herein.

Old 11-16-2004, 04:38 AM

Questions about TENS pain relief:

***NEVER use a TENS machine when driving***

How does TENS work?
Pads are placed on or near the area of pain. Soothing pulses are sent via the pads through the skin and along the nerve fibres. The pulses (controlled by the user at all times) suppress pain signals to the brain. TENS also encourages the body to produce higher levels of its own natural pain killing chemicals called Endorphins and Encephalins.

What is the history of TENS?
Stone carvings from the Egyptian Fith Dynasty in 2500 BC depict an electric fish being used to treat pain. Present day TENS began after the landmark paper by Melzack and Wall 1965, entitled "Pain Mechanism: A New Theory." An enormous amount of scientific research followed, resulting in the therapy used today.

Will TENS work for me?
TENS (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) is a highly effective treatment for pain. It is used worldwide and recommended by sports coaches, physiotherapy departments, pain clinics, doctors and other medical practitioners. A TENS unit will ease pain, and should result in a decrease of drug intake! For many the relief is dramatic.
Numerous painful medical conditions can be eased with our products including:-
Rheumatoid and Osteo-arthritis
Back pain
Menstrual Pain
Labour Pain
Peripheral Nerve Injuries
Shingles
Headache and Migraine
Cancer Pain
Trigeminal Neuralgia
Phantom Limb Pain
Sports Injuries
Sciatica
Aching Joints
Post Operative Pain
Muscular Pain
Whiplash and Neck Injury and many others.
For years our therapy has been used worldwide in both hospitals and the home. In some cases pain relief will continue (perhaps for several hours) after the unit has been switched off.

For many people, relief is so dramatic that using TENS has changed their lives.

TENS is a treatment well worth trying. It does not always offer a cure, but what it does do is relieve pain.

Remember - pain is the body's means of warning that something is amiss. Before using any TENS unit, you should establish the source and cause of your pain.

Contraindications: TENS units must not be used by patients using a demand type pacemaker. Electrode pads should NOT be placed at the front or side of the neck. Units should NOT be used when driving or operating machinery.

Precautions: Pregnant women and patients who have heart disease or epilepsy should seek medical advice before using TENS. NEVER use TENS or any other method of pain relief to mask undiagnosed pain as this could require urgent treatment.

Are TENS units safe to use with other medication?
Yes, and you may be able to stop taking pain killing drugs or at least reduce your intake.

Will the treatment hurt?
No, the sensation felt is very pleasant and soothing and is totally controlled by you.

Is a TENS machine easy to use?
Yes, extremely easy to use.

How long before I feel benefit from my TENS unit?
Some people's pain is relieved immediately whilst others need a little longer. You should also take into account that it may take a while to find the best position for the electrodes.

For how long does the pain relief last?
Some benefit for days after only a half hour treatment, whilst others need to keep their TENS unit on for longer periods.

I found this firm in the UK helpful and pleasant to deal with

http://www.niddvalley.co.uk/index.htm
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 07-20-2010, 01:47 PM

Along this topic, I have used an Empi IF 3 wave unit for a couple of years now as a tool in my pain management toolbox. For me, it helps mask or blocks the pain signal from my lumbar to my brain.

I just thought I would mention this in case anyone had not heard of it or was curious. I do not have any affiliation with this company.

1980 car accident neck
1980-1998 PT, Chiro, ESI, conservative treatments
1998 C-5/6/7 fusion
2005 injury L5-S1
2005-9 Dx with DDD, Osteoarthritis
2005-11 PT, ESI's, conservative treatments
2011 L5-S1 Prodisc ADR in January
Old 09-16-2014, 10:17 AM

I also have an Empi machine and have had it since 2011. I use it almost every night for an hour and use a heating pad. It helps but doesn't get rid of all my pain since you usually focus on one area at a time.
Mar 2014 - MRI of Cervical and Lumbar, protruding disc in C3-7, Herniated Disc in L5/S1, placed on STD and FMLA )
July 2014 - Stem Cell Procedure performed
Oct 20, 2014 - ADR (MOBI-C) at C5-7 and Anterior Fusion at L5/S1 by Dr. Pettine and Dr. Techy