ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Default Hope

I am a Christian, but not in the stereotypical sense. I would never accept any belief system without investigating it on my own. I seriously doubt that (and this is not a putdown) you have spent the time with a open mind to see what science, biology and history really tell us. It's very difficult to lay aside our preconceptions that have been burned into our brains since we were very young, but if you can do that and look at the empirical evidence you might just see things in a much different light. And that light provides real hope, not 'wishful thinking' but confident expectation which is the biblical definition of 'hope'. And real hope is what we all need. I could have never done this without God who holds me up when I'm falling and keeps me grounded when I want to give up.

BTW, I agree with Frank's assertion that most athiests perception of God/faith is based on the corruption that exists in many/most 'big business' religions today
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision
Old 07-20-2014, 05:56 PM

Default Live in North Jersey

Dear Ed,

Congratulations on your weight loss!! If you overcome that, I feel you can overcome almost anything else. I've had two levels of fusion in my neck as well as in my lumbar spine (L3/L4 and L4/L5). One of my cervical fusions as well as my lumbar fusions (done in one surgery) and one minimally invasive procedure were done by Dr. Daveed Frazier. He doesn't perform ADR, but knows some of the best U.S. surgeons for that if you are absolutely set on going that route. His NYC website is New York City Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeon | Daveed D. Frazier, MD He also works out of an NJ practice based in West Orange. His website for that practice is Dr. Daveed D. Frazier, MD - Spine Surgeon | Atlantic Spine Center

If you have an insurance policy that has out-of-network benefits, you'll have an easier time seeing him in NJ. However, if you don't, his NY practice participates in-network with most plans. Btw, he will review your MRI's at no charge and let you know if he thinks he can help you. While this board is all about ADR, it is not always the way to go (check out the saga of Vicki_In_Florida). I was considering going to Germany for cervical ADR and Dr. Frazier talked me out of it. He did a minimally invasive procedure on me in March, 2013 which was fully covered by insurance and I feel 99% better.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to speak or get more info.

Good luck!!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 07-21-2014, 08:18 PM

Default Don't rule out treatment in US

Hi Ed -

People do have a great deal of trouble finding help here should they have problems with overseas work. It is a huge dilemma for many here. I have personally met with Dr. Scott Blumenthal at Texas Back Institute twice and he is fabulous as are all of the surgeons there. He came recommended to me by another board member here (Grover 771) who had an extremely successful, three level hybrid with him over a year ago. (Please do PM her. She just moved so if you don't get a response, get back to me.) They do have to use the Prodisc L at this point though I truly think the "bashing" this disc gets here can be be very off base and distorted and the quality and experience of the surgeon is paramount. Since seriously considering him for my own surgery, I spoke to many patients of his, all very happy. It is my understanding that they do many successful hybrid surgeries there.
As well, Blumenthal was involved in the Activ-L trials and likes the disc very much. I asked him if it got FDA clearance would he use it on me and he said definitely.
Best of luck to you.
Christy
Microdiscectomy at L5S1 at HSS - failed
Lost successful business, went on disability; more "conservative" treatments
At 3 years fed up and deciding upon ADR or Fusion
Scared and uncertain
Old 07-22-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Gene View Post
Dear Ed,

Congratulations on your weight loss!! If you overcome that, I feel you can overcome almost anything else. I've had two levels of fusion in my neck as well as in my lumbar spine (L3/L4 and L4/L5). One of my cervical fusions as well as my lumbar fusions (done in one surgery) and one minimally invasive procedure were done by Dr. Daveed Frazier. He doesn't perform ADR, but knows some of the best U.S. surgeons for that if you are absolutely set on going that route. His NYC website is New York City Minimally Invasive Spine Surgeon | Daveed D. Frazier, MD He also works out of an NJ practice based in West Orange. His website for that practice is Dr. Daveed D. Frazier, MD - Spine Surgeon | Atlantic Spine Center

If you have an insurance policy that has out-of-network benefits, you'll have an easier time seeing him in NJ. However, if you don't, his NY practice participates in-network with most plans. Btw, he will review your MRI's at no charge and let you know if he thinks he can help you. While this board is all about ADR, it is not always the way to go (check out the saga of Vicki_In_Florida). I was considering going to Germany for cervical ADR and Dr. Frazier talked me out of it. He did a minimally invasive procedure on me in March, 2013 which was fully covered by insurance and I feel 99% better.

Feel free to send me a PM if you want to speak or get more info.

Good luck!!

Gene
Thanks Gene. I work for Merck (I really wish we were developing something), so I have REALLY good insurance.
I go to a pain management Dr. (I actually don't take meds other than Aleve; he just gives me steroid injections) that I trust dearly. I need to talk with him about going overseas...he is younger and up on the research, and he's not a fan of fusion in younger patients.
I suffer from gout (knock on wood, no attack in almost 2 years; losing weight has REALLY helped) and spoke with my rheum this past Friday. She is all for going to Germany or Spain; her advice was, "don't trust these local idiots to do anything." I think that's why I love her so much...she's not afraid to speak her mind and doesn't give "Dr." talk.
I'm trying to figure out when to pull the trigger on all of this. That's the fun part.
Am I the only one who doesn't take painkillers? I used to work in a pharmacy...I've seen what they do to people, and I don't want that to happen with me. I kind of just tough it out (and whine at home...haha).
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 PM

I don't take painkillers either, you're not alone bud.
Cymbalta and the occasional Aleve is bad enough...
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 PM

I just took NSAIDS and drank occasionally. Taking meds now but that's because I just had surgery, but I find walking is a better trade off.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:56 PM

I took Vicodin, a total of 3 pills over 2 days when my L4-5 finally ruptured and was pinching my spinal cord in 3 places. We just happened to have some at my house from when my husband smashed his hand. (He got the rx filled, but doesn't take it either.)

There is a time and a place for it. Just not a lifestyle, not a solution in the long term. Pain meds aren't bad if prescribed and used correctly.
MRI 6/5/14- Ruptured L4-5, bulge at L2-3 and L5-S1 Dr recommends discectomy of L4-5 but won't do surgery until cervical is stable
8/2014- 8 months/3 rounds of appeals, Aetna denies 2 level cervical ADR
2 level ADR w/ mobi-c C5-7 Jan 7, 2015
Old 07-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed5781 View Post
Hi all (I posted this on the other board too),

A little background: I am a 33 year old male. I have recently lost 205 pounds. Exciting stuff (diet and exercise). I went from 399 to 194. I am 6'3", though I think with my disc issues, I am 6'1.5".
My back pain started when i was 17...I was diagnosed with a bulging L5-S1. Since then I have had annoying low back pain...not agony or anything, but I was always aware of it. About 2 years ago, I started to get sciatica in my left hip. It made standing nearly impossible without me being in agony! I had an MRI...the L5-S1 bulge was still there (went down a little bit), but now I had an L4-L5 herniation. I had 3 cortisone injections which has helped tremendously. About 4 months ago, I noticed this horrible burning pain in my lower back when I was sitting. Back for another MRI...My L4-L5 herniation was slightly shrunk, but I now have an annular fissure. My L5-S1 has increased slightly. I had 2 L4-L5 right side injections for the tear...first one helped for two months. Had my last one this past Friday, and nada. I have retrolistehsis of 1.5mm at L2-L3, and 3mm at L5-S1. I have some other small issues (I'll update when I get the MRI report from home), but I have a feeling I'm headed down that surgical road. I visited an neurosurgeon here in NJ...he suggested an L4-S1 PLIF...yeah, OK. I am not doing that. So, Europe/Spain looks like it's going to be my only option.
I guess I'm looking at Zeegers, Bierstedt, and Clavel? What is the best way to contact them? I'm going to have to pay out of pocket (for a 2-level, I'm assuming 45k (American) or so)?
I'm scared to death, and I have no idea where to turn to right now.
In terms of contacting the surgeons, use their direct websites. DO NOT go through a third party, you will pay more and have more of a hassle.

Zeegers (really good): HOMEPAGE ZEEGERS | Zeegers-Back Pain-Artificial Disc ReplacementZeegers-Back Pain-Artificial Disc Replacement | Diagnosis and treatment of back-neck pain by drs. Willem Zeegers-artificial disc pioneer
Clavel (my Doctor, also really good): Barcelona Spine Center

I don't know Bierstedt's direct contact but you could probably ping a few folks on here to get that info (he came on the scene here shortly after my surgery).

First thing is ask them what they need from you and get it Zeegers wants a ton of photos in various poses etc. All want the same x-rays and an MRI (get the CDs that any imaging place can provide and then share with them.

Best of luck.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012