ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:19 PM

Also, check out Dr. Scott Spann in Austin, TX. He is an incredible surgeon!! He had an accident that basically turned him into a quadripelegic and he came back from it!! If that isn't amazing, I don't know what is!! He is using stem cells as well as other techniques and different procedures. He is affiliated with AIMIS spine. It is the company that my surgeon, Dr. Pimenta, Dr. Cappuccino, and many other top of the line surgeons are a part of.

06/2012- Successful ADR surgery for C4/C5 disc in Cyprus using PCM by NuVasive. Performed by Dr. Mark Peterson through the help of AIMIS.

09/2012- Successful Disctectomy of L5/S1also performed by Dr. Mark Peterson.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM

Default Hmm..

Well, as far as the questions regarding what happened, I am not too sure. I have always been a very active person from Horseback riding to volleyball.
The only instance I can think of when I could have severely injured my back was when I was about 11 and had a horseback riding accident.
The horse spooked, causing the saddle to flip under the belly, and I ended up falling right on my tail bone.
I have been rear ended, which I believe is what caused this 'flare' up I have for over the past year. Cortisone shots only worked for about a month.

I had looked into going oversea's, my main concern with that is, If I go, and come back to the states. What happens if something fails? Or the ADR is defective? My insurance will not cover any injuries after a "Foreign" surgery.

I have found a Dr in my area who performs a "hybrid" procedure. I am nervous, yet excited.

I am very thankful for everyone advice, and support! I am beyond happy I found these forums.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:57 PM

Default Regarding going overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.hynes31 View Post
I had looked into going oversea's, my main concern with that is, If I go, and come back to the states. What happens if something fails? Or the ADR is defective? My insurance will not cover any injuries after a "Foreign" surgery.
Tiffany, the majority of people who go overseas are willing to do so because they are suffering and want their life back. Most who go there do so without any expectation of insurance coverage from home. Since most of the European doctors mentioned on this board have close to a 95% success rate, future insurance coverage at home is the least of their concerns. Furthermore, most of these doctors offer insurance of their own in case something goes wrong.

I was all prepared to go overseas myself. However, the spine surgeon who performed my previous fusion offered me a minimally-invasive procedure that could be done by him in NYC and be fully covered by insurance. He also assured me that ADR was still possible in the future on the small chance that I had future issues.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 03-30-2013, 01:03 AM

Tiffany,

First let me ditto everything that Gene has posted.

Second... Getting state-side care if, God forbid, something goes wrong overseas is not just limited by insurance, but is also limited by the fact that many, if not most, US surgeons will not touch you with a 10 foot pole if you need care after a problem with your overseas surgery. There are a number of risks of going overseas, and the problem that you've cited is but one of those risks.

As Gene has noted, the probability of needing state-side care after an overseas surgery is very small, but as a few posters on this site have demonstrated, it is not zero. Are the risks worth it??? That is a question that only you can answer. Here are some further risks:
  • It may be very difficult in getting care in the US if something goes wrong overseas
  • No protection from the US legal system in the event of medical negligence by your foreign medical team
  • If complications occur, you will be required to remit payment at the time of treatment with your overseas provider (some offer insurance for protection in this unfortunate event)
  • If you come out of surgery worse than you went in (though rare, it does happen), getting home could be very difficult
I went overseas because my active lifestyle would have ended with further US care, and I believed (right or wrong) that I would have become an invalide or suffered an early death with US treatment (I had a very unusual case). I don't envy the decision that you're being required to make, because you can't know that it was correct for possibly many years. Overstating the importance of researching options and the outcomes of those options would be difficult.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 03-30-2013, 10:16 AM

Tiffany,

I ditto what people on here said about Dr. Garcia. I know someone who was in trials for Active-L and that person is doing great.
I don't know how many surgeons do hybrids besides TBI, the surgeons in Colorado, Dr. Bitan in NY, and the top ones in California. My surgeon does hybrids but he is not in Florida.

Yes, insurance issues can be problematic, but if that is not a major concern, go to one of the best surgeons. There are also several qualified surgeons on the East Coast (Dr. Yue was mentioned).

There are advantages to staying in the U.S. Complications do happen, and you have to take that into account when deciding where to have surgery. Get a surgeon with experience, whether they are a big name or what. IMHO, I would not do one surgery and follow it with another anterior surgery. It is best to get your surgery done all at once.

Best of luck,

Kimmers
Old 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Tiffany,

One other thing I would mention is another reason people go overseas is because you get access to more advanced discs than are available state side (or in my case in Canada). Since you mentioned you are pretty active you may want to investigate in depth the restrictions you will have if you get a disc in the US (which will be a prodisc). In Europe and elsewhere you have access to the M6-L which designed much more like a normal human disc and allows you to do activities that the prodisc does not - like running.

Just something to consider.

-Jeff
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 04-01-2013, 08:21 AM

Default Thanks Everyone

Wow, this is quite a bit of information to take in!

I really appreciate everyone's advice! This is the most information I have been able to find since I started my search over a year ago!

I hope everyone with Spine issues finds this page. It is full of great and caring people !

I haven't made any decision yet, Luckily the cortisone shot I got has kind of kept my pain manageable. Still hurts, but nothing like it did before the shot.
Deff a decision I need to take my time, and do LOTS of research.

I have found a Dr in FL who performs Hybrid's his name is Dr. D'Ariano. He has great reviews from here, so fingers crossed he can provide me with some great news!
If it turns out he can not help me, I will be looking into California. Everything I have read is that the most experienced surgeons, and ADR's are available there.

I am open to any suggestions, or advice. Thanks everyone !