ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Default Hello everybody

First and foremost, want to thank everybody on this site for the incredibly helpful information. Seems like I definitely found the right place to get good information re: my ongoing lower back issues.

My brief history-
hurt my back in college (lifting something- herniated disc lower back). Over years, on and off pain, but liveable for sure.
Cut to Dec. 2009- moving wood, hurt back again. This time, just not going away. On pain scale of 1-10, worst in morning. Pain level 4-5. Hard to bend/ wash lower body/ put pants on. A bit better during day. Also feeling some pain in left calf, slight numbness in left foot.
left foot.

Can I live with my pain level now? I think so. With that said, my low back pain absolutely affects my quality of life.
I would very much like to understand the following:

1) Is preemptive surgery a wise decision (i.e. if we know I am only going to continue to get worse…….)?
2) Is being young/ in good shape helpful in recovery assuming I was a candidate/ chose to have ADR surgery? Is there some argument to me made to have surgery when one is younger, as opposed to waiting?
3) Surgery, based on info I have read on this site, I have reached out to the Dr. Blumenthal in Texas, Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany, Dr. Regan and Delamarter in California, and the Boston Spine Institute. Would very much like to stay in the US if at all possible (assuming all things being equal, quality being the most important, followed by cost, then proximity to my location- NY). Any update on recommendations is appreciated.
4) United Healthcare- does anyone have any success getting them to cover the surgery?
5) And finally, is there any merit whatsoever to this minimally invasive laser surgery I read about?

Anyway, thanks everybody. I very much appreciate any insights the group can give me.
Ongoing on and off episodes since then
2009- DDD L4-S1, minor herniation L4/L5.
2010- 2 cortison shots, due for facet blocks
Possibly radio frequency abblation to follow

Last edited by Harrison; 06-09-2010 at 09:12 AM. Reason: Minor format changes
Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Default Welcome, Matt...

Sorry you are here, but I hope we can help! As you may know, I had my ADR in Boston six year ago. I'll wait for others to reply and I'd be happy to speak with in the next few days.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Default thx Harrison

I look forward to speaking. Will make myself available to fit your schedule.
Ongoing on and off episodes since then
2009- DDD L4-S1, minor herniation L4/L5.
2010- 2 cortison shots, due for facet blocks
Possibly radio frequency abblation to follow
Old 06-11-2010, 12:33 AM

Default Questions 1&2

MBW -

Your first two questions are big ones on my list, too. I can manage my pain for now, but it affects everything I do, and for now at least, has ended my current career.

So 'when and if' are going to be two of the first things I ask my doc. I'll let you know what he tells me...just so you'll have that much more input
as you make your decision.

Best of luck -

MsLizzy
Epidural: 2/10
PT, massage, but mostly movement modification
Still off work
Old 07-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Default If your in NY i would also recommend Dr. Bitan..

I am also in NY and have consulted with several doctors here already. I read a lot about Dr. Bitan on the forums here and have only heard positive things about him. He practices out of Lennox Hill. I hope this helps.