ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:16 PM

Default Considering ADR Lumbar

I'm both thankful and fearful now that I've stumbled upon this forum. Reading all the stories provide both hope and fear, but this seems to be the best place to help research surgeons and outcomes.

A little history... I've had "pulled" back problems for many years after hard weekend Lowe's warrior type stuff until the spring of 2009 when it didn't get better after a week. Went through PT; tried injections; eventually had micro discectomy when I started losing feeling in my right foot.

That provided relief until New Year's eve, 2012. It let go again drying my toes after a shower, herniated L5/S1 again, but on the left side this time. Same treatment regimen as last time - PT, injections, surgery.

Herniated right side of L4/5 in January 2014. Same treatment ending in micro discetomy in October of 2014.

Well, I've done it again - herniated the L4/5 disc on the right side again. Images show DDD up to L3/4 so far. For this reason I'm considering ADR. My local doctor mentioned Stenum and London. I've submitted paperwork to Stenum. I'm 41 years old and am certain a 2-level fusion will have me back in the hospital for the same problem sooner rather than later. I'm reading up on other surgeons through this site trying to pick the best option. Any feedback you can give would be great!

3 micro discectomies since

Lumbar DDD at L3-S1

Young children, so quality of life is important.
Old 02-18-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olds455 View Post
I'm both thankful and fearful now that I've stumbled upon this forum. Reading all the stories provide both hope and fear, but this seems to be the best place to help research surgeons and outcomes.

A little history... I've had "pulled" back problems for many years after hard weekend Lowe's warrior type stuff until the spring of 2009 when it didn't get better after a week. Went through PT; tried injections; eventually had micro discectomy when I started losing feeling in my right foot.

That provided relief until New Year's eve, 2012. It let go again drying my toes after a shower, herniated L5/S1 again, but on the left side this time. Same treatment regimen as last time - PT, injections, surgery.

Herniated right side of L4/5 in January 2014. Same treatment ending in micro discetomy in October of 2014.

Well, I've done it again - herniated the L4/5 disc on the right side again. Images show DDD up to L3/4 so far. For this reason I'm considering ADR. My local doctor mentioned Stenum and London. I've submitted paperwork to Stenum. I'm 41 years old and am certain a 2-level fusion will have me back in the hospital for the same problem sooner rather than later. I'm reading up on other surgeons through this site trying to pick the best option. Any feedback you can give would be great!
Hi,

I would steer clear of Stenum... Do some goggling Ritter-lang and you will find some horror stories.

There are many other great surgeons I would recommend prior to Ritter-Lang.

Dr Zeegers, Dr Clavel, etc..
Old 02-18-2015, 04:56 PM

Hi, I agree with Karger. There's an entire section in this forum devoted to horror stories at Stenum with Dr Ritter-Lang. Dr. Clavel is excellent, but don't try to get him through Ritter-Lang's website. He has his own website. I'm sure someone on here will give it to you. Dr Zeegers, Dr Bierstedt, and Chistopher Dare (UK) are among those that come highly recommended.

Btw, you might want to save money and consider fusion at L5/S1 in the U.S. That level seems to have minimal complications with fusion and a higher failure rate with ADR. Most people do fine with ADR at that level, but there are nightmares from the small percentage of people with complications. I would look to do ADR at L4/L5 in Europe.

Best of luck!

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 02-18-2015, 05:57 PM

Olds,

Condolences on your condition, but welcome.

If you want to stay in the US, I'd highly recommend Jack Zigler at Texas Back in Plano, TX. He manages a steady stream of successful outcomes with the ProDisc-L; he's put four of them in one guy on this forum. While I wish he used a different implant, I believe that you're as likely to have a good outcome with him as with anyone.

Out of curiosity... You have a 455 in something? As a classic car buff, I'd like to see a picture.
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 02-18-2015, 07:48 PM

Same dilemma as mine: it is easy (and cheap) to do a fusion in the United States, but when you have two or three levels, does it make sense to do a fusion in the United States and then do another surgery in Europe? Both Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bierstedt recommend 2-level M6, but as many people in the stories here suggest, l5-s1 may not be best for ADR.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM

The new L5/S1 M6 is beefier, keels larger too. Wish I could show a pic.

But hybrid can work too.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:38 PM

Default Adr

Drew where are you seeing this new m6? Why can't u show pic?
Old 02-19-2015, 03:49 AM

Boxer, just had one installed on Tuesday and it was the updated version for l5-s1 via Bierstedt. Also had cervicals and lumbars done in same surgery.
Will post outcomes later when mind is clear.
herniated/bulging/autofusion lumbar discs/ 4 levels
2013- L5-S1 discectomy in Florida / RFD lumbar
2014- C5-6 cervical fusion in NH. PEEK prostetic w/plate
Spinal decompression machine/5 days x 5 months.
Injections/RFD,s/Chiro/acupuncture/Meds/Phys Thrpy/ etc etc etc. To much to list.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:48 AM

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, so I've already pretty much ruled Stenum out. I initiated contact with Clavel and plan to do so also with Zeegers and Bierstedt. The UK would certainly be an option as well.

I would LOVE to have a hybrid done in the US. I'm fairly confident I could get insurance to cover it. However, I'm a bit hesitant in using the ProDisc since it provides no shock absorption. Motion isn't as critical at these 2 levels. But, with degeneration already occurring at L3/4 I feel it's important to maintain the shock absorption as much as possible. I'd be willing to wait a little longer if the Activ-L is approved this year as has been suggested.

Jeff - The 455 was actually in a '65 GTO. It belonged to my dad, I brought it down here to do some body work and painting, and now he's got it back. He bought the car when I was a kid and I just latched onto the torque. He recently moved to a new house a little closer and, once he's settled in, we plan to finish the car. I'm trying to talk him into putting an LS motor from a late-model GTO. The Olds actually served in a project my F-I-L worked on for a little while - a '74 Saab Sonnet that was heavily modified. It was a FREAK!

Lumbar DDD at L3-S1

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM

I received my recommendation from Stenum. They're suggesting M6 at L4/5/S1 and "NucleoFix" at L3/4. I've never heard of that, so much more research is in order.

Lumbar DDD at L3-S1