ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-10-2007, 02:38 PM

Hi,
I am a 40yr old UK prison officer who has had a bad back for just under 20 years. For the past 12 months it has been absolutely chronic. I have had an MRI, I paid for this myself as the NHS said they would'nt pay for it unless I could'nt walk/work or was not in control of my bowels !!. Results were the bottom 2 discs are dessicated and degenerated. I have had Chiro, Osteo, Accupuncture, Physio and am a week away from facet joint injections. Before things got chronic a year ago, I used to cycle 17 miles a day and was a single figure golfer. The DDD has had a devastating effect on my life, I am about as active as a snail!!. Looking at my scans I know that ADR is the way forward, can this be done on the UK NHS. I have absolutely NO leg pain, back often spasms and is always very, very, very stiff almost locked. I cannot stand for log periods of time and find it very hard to bend, in fact I find it very hard to do anything normal without having to go and lie down to offer some kind of recovery to my back. When I do move or bend I do it in a strange way to protect my back, trouble is I have done this for some years, does this ring any bells with anyone?, if so did normal range of motion return after ADR. Interested to hear from anyone with symptons similar to me and if the NHS in the UK has funded anyone. I do NOT wish to be fused, I believe ADR is the way forward. My job is now at stake as I am due my annual Control/Restraint asessement. I know I am a long way from surgery, but just getting prepared etc, also anyone been to eastern europe for surgery, or India even ?? !!,

Sorry so many questions............
Old 03-10-2007, 04:14 PM

Hi bluenose66
I returned from Germany Nov23rd after a 3 week stay for 3level a.d.r I live in Connecticut ,so it was quiet a painful flight (both ways)
I am now 31/2 months home recovering and doing better, but still have a ways to go.I have noticed my range of motion has improved where before I couldn't bend without bending my knees out firstRight now I am dealing with leg pain which is not uncommon for those who had 3 levels done The hospital was Stenum Hospital Gooc luck with what ever choices you make.Because we know there are no easy choices when it comes to surgery.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:18 AM

Hi Bluenose

I had disc replacements of the lower two levels of my lumbar spine on the NHS in Feb 2004. I've sent you a private message which gives more detail.
I am delighted with the outcome of my surgery and highly recommend my surgeon.

Lynda

Old 03-12-2007, 11:15 PM

Hi Bluenose
Can't help you with any NHS questions I"m afraid being in sunny Australia. Alastair or the other Brits will be able to put you on the right track there.
I do want to say though, that I had back pain which progressed like yours for nearly 20 years before my fusion and disc replacement last July. You may find that after such a long time the discs and particularly the facets have worn to the extent that ADR may not be possible at 1 or more levels. This is what happened to me, hence the hybrid surgery.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 03-13-2007, 05:44 AM

Thanks for the replies folks, Berry have sent you a pm.
Old 03-13-2007, 08:55 AM

I have sent bluenose a p.m., and expect to be able to help him with his problem, especially with regard to the UK situation.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/