ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-24-2008, 12:22 AM

cmac,

I hate to be the one to perhaps pour cold water on your enthusiasm for your upcoming ADR, but I feel I just have to comment.

It has only been 4 months since your MVA. I too had similar injuries as you and was recommended by 4 surgeons to have a discectomy/fusion or ADR.

I was also told to wait as long as possible before submitting to either of these procedures as herniations/bulges can take up to 2 years to heal on their own without the need for surgery.

Well around the 22 month mark, I noticed I was late taking my Neurontin a number of times and decided I would titrate myself off to see if I actually WAS getting better. Low and behold I was. I have managed to titrate myself completely off Neurontin 1200mg for just on 16 months now.

I still have pain, but it is handleable. I do have some other issues I am trying to work out with this injury.

I just wonder if you should perhaps wait a little longer before submitting to surgery. If you are showing major neurological deficits, where you health and safety are of immediate concern, then this would be a different story and surgery would be an emergency.

Should you still go ahead on May 6th, I wish you all the best.

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat
Old 04-24-2008, 06:33 PM

I have to agree that 4 months post injury is not very long. Discs very often heal, although slowly. Of course, I don't know if yours will or not. It may be that there is spinal cord or significant nerve root impingement and your doc is concerned about permanent damage, rightly so. These would be reasons to perform surgery so soon after an injury.

I have 3 Prodisc-C's in my neck and am much better than I was prior to surgery. I'm probably not a good person to compare your situation to. I had a fusion prior to my 3 ADRs, so I've had 4 levels in my neck operated on and waited quite a long time and became very disabled prior to each surgery (thus probably incurring some permanent damage). I still can't go back to work and I'm a year post-op; however, you probably will be able to, although I think 2 weeks is unrealistic. I know another woman who had a one level ADR done 14 weeks ago and she is back to work, but she only worked and works part time, but she is doing well. I don't think she went back to work until 6 weeks post op. As far as the outpatient situation - it is done differently here than in the U.S. Mine was done in Germany. I was in pretty bad shape the day after the surgery and needed to be in the hospital and on the morphine drip for sure but that evening, started to feel a lot better and the following day was able to take a little walk in the forest behind the hospital. I only improved from there. I should think it might be best to at least spend one night in the hospital and see how you are the next day - but it is truly amazing - ADR is so much easier on the body than a fusion, it is absolutely mind boggling.

Hope you get a lot of relief from the surgery - and please feel free to ask me any questions.
Onset of severe fibromyalgia in 6/95, undiagnosed for 2 years while lived in UK
About 1998 o
Old 04-24-2008, 06:52 PM

I am very surprised that this is being suggested as an outpatient procedure with a return back to work so quickly. Granted, you have one level and cervical is much easier than lumbar. This is still major surgery though. What do you do for a living that they are suggesting you will be able to go back in two weeks?

I have two Prestige discs in my cervical area. Less complications than lumbar for sure. Still major surgery that definitely takes time to heal from.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 04-24-2008, 09:07 PM

Cmac,
Welcome tot he forum. There is such good advice here and wonderful caring people. It is always hard to go into surgery not knowing how it can turn out. Sending you home the same day seems so quick. It is also hard to wait when you are in so much pain. My only advice is to be really ready as you are never quite the same after surgery. Pain can also be so debilitating that it often does not let us take the time we need to make our decisions. I wish you the best for your surgery and keep us all posted on your recovery.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back and leg pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009
Old 04-25-2008, 12:17 PM

Cmac
Have you seen the OR-live web cast of cervical disc replacement? A Prestige prosthesis is used and there are questions and answers; it is very informative. The info is posted in the Article Library but here's the link again.

http://www.or-live.com/ololrmc/2003/

Regards

Lynda

Old 04-25-2008, 07:23 PM

Thank you everyone who has provided their input. I appreciate the open and honest feedback, and the fact that you can give me an objective opinion based on your own experience. Not that it makes that much of a difference from a timing standpoint, but it has actually been 5 1/2 months since the accident, and here are the issues I have been dealing with to prompt me to make this decision.

1. I have been having an increase in radiculopathy (pain and numbness) in my left arm, as well as daily pain in my neck and shoulders down to the middle of my back.

2. I am left-handed and an artist for a living, in which this injury has been affecting my job performance. I also have to sit a lot in front of a computer and this is the worst position to be in that causes the most pain.

3. I am taking pain medication as a way to manage my pain, but I cannot rely on this, nor do I want to continue having to take medication for an extended period of time.

4. I am still relatively young, with small children and I cannot do what I feel like I should be doing to give them adequate time, because I can barely make it through a day at work and I have to go home and just lie down to relieve my pain. It literally takes everything I have to get through my job each day; after that, I'm spent.

5. I cannot wait for up to 2 years in hopes that it might get better. I need to try to get some normalcy back in my life, not only for myself, but my wife and kids, and my career to support my family.

6. I could wait, but there is also a chance I could cause more damage and the older I get, the more difficult it is to recover from something like this.

I could probably go on, but I think you see what I'm battling with. By no means, do I want to have surgery; but as I weigh my options, I feel this is the best solution, given the circumstances.

I did speak to the Dr. again in more detail, and I was given a little more clarification on recovery. Each person is different and the scenario he gave me is the 'ideal' situation; however, based on the outcome, they will decide whether I need to stay overnight. Also, how I progress after my surgery will be the deciding factor as to when I can return to work and drive. I will just need to listen to my body, stay positive, and stick to the recovery regimen they require. That will give me the best odds of making a full recovery.

Thank you again for the feedback. As you can see from my response, I am most likely destined for surgery. I know this is a decision I have to live with for the rest of my life, but based on how I feel, I feel this is the best option I have.

I certainly welcome any additional opposition or feedback, as I think it is good to challenge my decision... it keeps me in check, and I have always enjoyed a good debate. (just ask my wife!)
2 bulging discs - c4-5 & c5-6
Herniated disc - c6-7
conservative treatments/procedures: meds, PT, 2 epis, positive concordant discogram
ADR ProDisc - C @ C6-C7 May 6, 2008
Paralyzed Left vocal cord - d
Old 04-25-2008, 09:56 PM

I think you should do what you feel most comfortable in doing. You have received an education to make the most informed decision possible and weighed out the pros and cons and now it is a matter of getting it scheduled. I wish you luck. Take care after as it is a major surgery and we tend to push ourselves.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5