ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-22-2008, 06:40 PM

My name is Sandy. My back problems started with a fall at work in August 2006. I went to PT and did hyrdo therapy. I also had 2 epidural injections, and tried traction. The PT worked for a couple months, but a few short weeks after I stopped PT, the pain started again. I have a herniated disc at L4/S1. For some reason I only have 4 lumbar vertebra. I had a discogram done in August of 2007 which showed an annular tear with grade 4 DDD. My doctor rec fusion, but I asked about disc replacement. I didn't want to go through a fusion surgery. After months of fighting WC, my surgery was approved and is scheduled for 2/19/08. My doctor will be using the Charite disc. Prior to my injury I was a volunteer firefighter. I still am - but I can not fight fires, just EMS stuff, if someone is there to lift for me. I am hoping to be able to go back to being a firefighter after recovering from the surgery.
PT/Pain Meds/Epidural Injections/Hydro-therapy/traction - nothing worked.
Charite ADR on 2/19/2008
Old 01-22-2008, 07:26 PM

Welcome to the community! You will find all sorts of information on the site which may be of help to you in preparing for & recovering from your surgery. Best wishes on your upcoming surgery & again welcome!
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 01-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Administrator

Sandy, several firefighters have passed through this community in the past three years. I'll be interviewing one on camera in a few weeks (Sean) who had a hybrid procedure (fusion/Charite). He is doing well, but actually changed professions.

Mike is a Firefighter/EMT-I and is recovering from ADR, you can see his story in the post-op forum.

I'd be happy to address any questions or concerns you have here, or see my contact information below.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate