ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 PM

Default Introduction ADR Sugery - Ingrid (new member)

Hey all,

Here is my history:

July 2005 had the C5-C6 disc rupture – incredible pain. Same month had classic fusion (plate & screw) surgery done in the US with immediate relief from pain. Was not told about the care needed, even told I could drive immediately!!!

Sep 2005 told that there were problems and to “take it easy”.

Nov 2005, neurosurgeon took one x-ray (that’s all) and told me, that I was “good to go”. No restrictions, no follow up care and told no physical therapy was needed. I was just told to call if in pain.

Summer 2006, developed strange breathing issues. Couldn’t exhale upon tying shoes, pressure on chest when laying on back, sometimes felt like a noose was around my neck.

December 2006, chronic pain started. Loose screw in C6-C7 disc space noted.

February 2007, told (after CT tests) I had a non union and the insides of my C6 vertebrae had dissolved away (hence why the screws were loose) and were now scar tissue. Told the loose plate could end up in my esophagus and I needed posterior augmentation surgery (screws and rods) with the HOPE it would induce front fusion (only along the sides possible now) and stabilize my screwed up neck.

Had 3 months of recovery nightmare – Miami J collar – much pain, and basically was stuck at home staring at the ceiling or 4 walls and acquainting myself with brainless TV (reading hurt, internet hurt, couldn’t do ANYTHING).

Till August 28, 2008 Breathing problems intensified where I had “attacks”. I suddenly was struggling to breath and had to personally, physically open up my airways by digging into the back of my neck to change the shape of my airways (totally nuts). No one in the US was able to unravel this (got the complete run around and even told it was panic attacks). I really thought that I’d eventually drop dead from suffocation. When the crew pushed my shoulders down for the discography my airway was immediately cut off.

Pain management included tramadol, aspirin, lydocaine injections, lydocaine patches, EMPI devices (electro-gizmo-gadget), botox (helped lots), massages, ryhzotomy (a “cook and burn” which was ineffective) and even acupuncture. None gave much help other than the botox and tramadol.

Early in 2008, images showed the plate that was hitting my C4 vertebrae had lots of bone growing over it. US neurosurgeon believed most of the pain resulted from the C4 disc.

July 2008 learned of the pro-spine clinic who did an evaluation. Told me I needed an MRI upon which found out that I had a C4 disc that was all over the place and even impingement upon my spinal chord that would eventually lead to permanent nerve damage. They gave me the good news that ADR was possible and I was scheduled for surgery less than one month later. I’m so impressed with how “Johnny on the spot” this clinic is. I was told of the need for an MRI one day after paying for the evaluation (having sent the previous CT and other reports previously). Also, finally someone actually gave me an answer to my breathing problems and confirmed it was due to my messed up neck.

Aug 29, 2008 had surgery in Bogen with Dr. Bertagnoli and 3 others from his team. It turned out to be much more difficult than they had initially anticipated and lasted 5 hours. It took a long time to remove the ineffective plate due to massive bone overgrowth. Plus, they described my C6 vertebrae as being like an egg shell and remolded the vertebrae with “bone-glue” (don’t know what they call it... but it is fast fixing glue-like composite fake bone). The bottom artificial disc has been attached to the essentially artificial vertebrae.

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Post surgery recovery:

Of major note: NO BREATHING ISSUES since the surgery. This suffocation – noose around the neck feelings have not happened since.

First week – I hurt (no morphine or pain meds stronger than Tramadol). Found it hard to locate a good sleeping position. Back of my neck was totally numb for the whole week presumably from 5 hours of being held taught for the surgery.

Second week – hurt but could finally sleep comfortably. Back of neck numbness gone, but started to itch.

Third week – pain lessened. But now started waking up with back of neck migraines (really intense). This happened most nights.

Fourth week – dropped tramadol from the 6 pills/day taken prior to surgery to 2 or 3 per day. Still have some pain and neck feels quite tight. .

Fifth week (which is where I’m at now) – No more nighttime migraines. But have a new weird pain. Touch one spot on the back of my neck (little spot) and I yell out from pain. Also, feel like I have a pulled neck muscle. Sure hope this doesn’t signify any new problems.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:45 PM

Sometimes muscles spasm when in the healing phase. You may want to ask if they can prescribe Valium which is a great muscle relaxer if prescribed correctly. You could also try Skelaxen or Flexeril.

Hang in there.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5
Old 10-08-2008, 11:02 AM
Administrator

Default Pain Management

Hi Ingrid,

Welcome again to our community. A few questions: do you have a pain management doctor here? Are you presently taking any NSAIDs or anti-inflammatories? NSAIDs are often (but not always) prescribed for cervical ADR patients...

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate