ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 05-03-2023, 10:48 AM

Default Introduction - tmcclintic

Hello,

I had surgery on 4/5 of this year due to DDD on my neck. My symptoms were related to my right arm, nerve pain down most of the arm and numbness in my thumb to middle finger as well as my forearm.

My MRI showed a pretty substantial impingement on my spinal cord as well. This was the most concerning piece for my Doctors as without room their fear was any accident would permanently damage my cord.

I have had issues with my feet and legs not feeling 'normal' as well, however my gait and such are normal.

The first week of my surgery was no fun, but I realized that most of the issues I was having was due to the pain medications. When I stopped them and just took Tylenol I was able to deal with most of the things.

Weeks 2-3 I noticed migration of pain through my neck, back and arms. I can only assume this is caused by nerves rebuilding or figuring things back out.

On week 4 I've seen a huge improvement to my activities, I am walking ~3 miles a day. I can do most house chores with limitations, but I am also noticing a slight return of my arm symptoms. This is a concern for me, but I will be starting PT next week so hopefully things sort out.

I asked my doctor about NSAIDs for HO and he said that with my bloodwork/history it was not a concern and did not recommend it. So, I have only taken it a few times since surgery when soreness is bothersome.

Currently my neck feels okay, it is still sensitive on the side and back. My forearm gets some pain while on the computer (something I must do for work a lot). My fingers are regaining feeling but my hand feels sore like I hurt it or overused it.

Oh, I still get some food stuck in my throat but it seems to be less of an occurrence as time passes. If I can figure out how to upload I will send pre-op MRI and post-op 2 week Xray.

Thanks for reading!
Old 05-23-2023, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Exclamation

Just my 2 cents, this is a concern:

"....I asked my doctor about NSAIDs for HO and he said that with my bloodwork/history it was not a concern and did not recommend it. So, I have only taken it a few times since surgery when soreness is bothersome..."

There are differences among the many types of NSAIDs. Most people do well with ibuprofen; it's important to slow any unusual bone processes that lead to HO. 600 to 1800 mg daily for most people should not be a problem!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate