ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-20-2015, 07:22 PM

Default Adr

Pete do tell the activ L Zeegers secret?? Financial? Is it really the best disc? It seems to fly under the radar compared to the m6 etc. I do know it works differently than any other disc.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 PM

Boxer you lazy SOB...LOL

I will start you with just this tidbit http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ll-tell-12869/

I've also spoke to Zeegers in person and am in contact with a person who has had surgery with 2 activ L's.

Again, you do your research and you make your decision..
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM

Default Adr

Lmao!!! I know about both discs I just got the feeling you knew something the rest of us don't. It's kinda like the rumor of this special new m6 for L5-S1 that someone mentioned even though I can't find anything about it.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittpete View Post
To clarify, i know him to be an excellent surgeon and in fact trained in the activ L because of the research i(me) have done on the subject..NOT because he is a good researcher...LOL

The point im trying to make to the original poster is anyone thinking of going to Europe for an ADR has to do their due diligence.They need to research, research and then research all options again..Just because Joe Schmo had a successful 3 level ADR with disc XXX, doesnt mean **** and shouldnt mean **** to Joe.
I won't go into the reasons why Zeegers uses and still believes in the Activ-L.
I know why, but if someone wants to know thereis plenty of info on this site and on the internet..
The Activ-L being so close to FDA approval is a major step for back sufferers in the USA in my opinion.
I think we have hijacked Azmtnman's thread enough but I will say I agree that the Activ-L as an option in the US is a HUGE step forward in the U.S. as the prodisc is just not a great solution especially for lumbar.

I agree to disagree on the value of people stories here. Of course research is important, but looking at patient outcomes is INVALUABLE research, and in fact it is one of the primary benefits of a site like this, and people shouldn't overlook that.
2009 - Trampoline injury (just bounced down on my butt)
2009-2011 Physiotherapy and medication, progress but no lasting pain relief
2010 - X-Ray DDD L5-S1, L4-L5, L4-L3
2010 - MRI Herniation L5-S1, Bulges L4-L5, L4-L3
2011 - Epidurals - No relief
2012 - Facet Injections - No relief
2012 - Discogram TBI - positive L3-S1

L3-S1 ADR M6-L w Clavel 11/28/2012
Old 04-21-2015, 09:33 AM

I don't really mind the hijack. The whole point of these threads is to discuss options and share knowledge and opinions that help people evaluate options and make decisions.

Personally, I have family connections in the medical research arena so I'm aware how much the available information can lean towards marketing (seems much worse in the pharma world than low volume ADR, but still) so I find more value in the stories people share of their own experiences.

And while I agree that getting new device options in the U.S. is huge, my point was that it is more of a beginning than an end. It will take years for local doctors to get enough experience before I personally feel comfortable with it. Given the level of bulging in my last MRI, I'm worried that I'll end up with an emergency fusion before the new devices are generally available.

Regarding the Activ-L trial, has anyone seen any research abstracts or conference presentations from any of the PIs in the trial? It would be useful to have more visibility there.
Old 04-21-2015, 12:50 PM

AZMnman,

Very similar story here. DDD of L4-5-S1. Can function (walk, do minor things wiout pain). Sitting hurts. Can probably wait, and wait and wait. Questions is - why? Your back will not get better, and so will not mine. It will get worse. I am also looking at autofusion if I wait too long.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:20 AM

the new implant that is in the end of the FDA study is the AxioMed Freedom Lumbar Disc. the FDA is running the study comparing the Prodisc L against it. 2016 is what i heard the study will be finished. the AFLD works identical to the SK M-6 except it is all one piece. I talked to Dr. Pettine, and he wants to use a Coflex on my L5-S1. since it looks bad, herniated and pressing on the left sciatic nerve, it hardly ever bothers me. so i'm waiting to see what happens with this study. like the M-6, the FLD has a cervical counter part, that isn't in a study yet.
2007 mri revealed all but 2 discs of entire spine are either bulged, some torn, a few herniated and compressing foramenal nerves or chord c3-4 fusion. myelomalacia at 2 levels, facet arthropathy, spinal and foramenal stenosis, yadda, yadda...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:27 AM

Exclamation AxioMed Freedom lumbar and cervical discs

Please if you haven't heard of this company or the disc check them out. if you like the M-6 or the Mobi-C they are worth at least a look at.
2007 mri revealed all but 2 discs of entire spine are either bulged, some torn, a few herniated and compressing foramenal nerves or chord c3-4 fusion. myelomalacia at 2 levels, facet arthropathy, spinal and foramenal stenosis, yadda, yadda...
Old 04-22-2015, 04:17 PM

http://www.crainscleveland.com/artic...nvestment-firm
Born 1970/1995-Hurt at work/1996-Right disc fragment L4-L5 discectomy-On/off back pain,no serious leg pain until/2007-Right herniation L5-S1,recurrent small herniation at L4-L5 with unbearable leg pain/6/08 discectomy L5-S1/leg pain relieved/occaisional mechanical pain/2012-Cymblata 60 mg,occasional aleve/2014-LB pain not debilitating but chronic,Rhizotomy relieves facet pain on right side/2015-L4-S1 facets shot/4/15 PLIF L4-S1 with facectomy
Old 04-22-2015, 05:31 PM

That's the company. my voc-rehab counselor's husband had the prodisc-l installed and it caused fractures of the vertebral body and had to be fused. the disc is still in him and still hurts at the site, the nerve pain is better now that it is fused. now his neck is going and there is talk of fusing, just like me as we have the same Dr.s. i told his wife about this site, everything i have read on the net, and there are options here or overseas and it isn't as hopeless as it feels.