ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 09-17-2015, 02:08 AM

Exclamation U.S. Ortho spine Surgeon

Hi, Going over seas for spinal surgery is a big deal. I'm also considering going to Germany but have trepidation regarding the financial cost. I will have to borrow money. What if disc replacement causes my problems to worsen? There is very little information regarding long term results. Of the longer term results I've read about it doesn't sound promising enough that I'd feel confident about it just yet. Though, I haven't closed my mind to it either. During my research, I recently came across a couple of articles which mention Dr. Charles Rosen. He is a U.S. orthopedic spine surgeon at University of California, Irvine, is considered to be in high standing and has a special interest in treating patients who have had failed disc replacement surgery. According to what I read, he has done quite a few revisions on patients who had disc replacement done overseas who ended up with failed surgeries and complications. I think that Doctor Rosen is an important contact to know.
Cervical MRI: Herniation C5-C6 and C6-C7, Broad-based disc/osteophyte complex at C5-C6 extending to ventral aspect of cervical cord, disc/osteophyte complex mildly indents canal at C6-C7, severe right C3-C4 degenerative facet arthropathy, facet hypertrophy of upper cervical spine notably at C2-C3 and C3-C4, small right central disc protrusion T1 to disc.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:55 AM

i'm in the same place as you, i just sent my newest mri and their data sheet to Dr. Clavel in Spain i am still considering Dr. Beirstedt in Germany, he is one of the first spine surgeons to use the Premia Tops facet replacement system. which really cool if that is what you need. just keep doing as much research as you can and when it comes to your spine, i say go with your gut
2007 mri revealed all but 2 discs of entire spine are either bulged, some torn, a few herniated and compressing foramenal nerves or chord c3-4 fusion. myelomalacia at 2 levels, facet arthropathy, spinal and foramenal stenosis, yadda, yadda...
Old 09-18-2015, 12:53 PM

Hello Renee,

Here's an idea to get your actual radiology images.

Call the medical center that took them and ask them if they have the ability to send you the actual images as jpg's through their patient portal. If so, you should be able to save these images to your computer and email them out to anyone you choose.
If they cannot do this for you, what I suggest is the following.
Register with Dr. Bertagnoli's site and send your medical reports and images to them for assessment. Ask them to please send your radiology images so you can view them as well when they send a response from the doctor as to what treatment plan he recommends. You are not obligated to go forward with that plan if you don't want to, but you will have your images, be able to view them and will be able to send them anywhere else you want.
Cervical MRI: Herniation C5-C6 and C6-C7, Broad-based disc/osteophyte complex at C5-C6 extending to ventral aspect of cervical cord, disc/osteophyte complex mildly indents canal at C6-C7, severe right C3-C4 degenerative facet arthropathy, facet hypertrophy of upper cervical spine notably at C2-C3 and C3-C4, small right central disc protrusion T1 to disc.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:22 PM
Administrator

Wink

Everyone,

This topic was started in January of this year. Renee, are you still visiting this forum and topic? Hope all is well.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate