ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:24 AM

Chris,

Welcome. I have the common problem--a lot of people told me that it is common to have both neck and back issues--of having cervical and lumbar problems. I have two lumbar ADRs but they were put in at separate times. How do I explain this? It would not be my choice to do it this way, but first I had L4/5 and then I had L5/S1. Huge insurance fights for each ADR.
And after that, I developed cervical symptoms. This was in October, 2012.
I was ready to go head-to-head with insurance companies again to get ADR, but unfortunately, despite having stellar facets, my two discs were too degenerated to put ADRs into them.
I started out having minimal disc loss to having severe disc loss in a relative short time. I had an anterior cervical disectomy and fusion at C5/6 and C6/7 on May 15th, 2013 after a few hiccups.
I too, had long-time neck problems and always wondered why my lumbar discs became majorly painful and problematic before my neck. When my doc got in there during the cervical surgery, he found a severely degenerated disc and C5/6, was fairly bad too. Anyway, so far, my neck is doing pretty good.

Hey, please congratulate your friend for me and the countless others who have engaged insurance companies in a fight to get an ADR operation approved. I fought Blue Cross with all I had, but, the thread I had about my struggles with insurance, is no longer on here. Long story. But I really like it, that your friend succeeded. I had a friend, who I met on this site, who had double lumbar ADR in 2007 or 2008, in the U.S. Around there. Her insurance company was Aetna.
My lumbar problems became severe when I was 45 years old.
Anyway, give your friend a bunch of high fives :c lap: and good luck in your push to get the best surgery you can get for yourself.

Kimmers
Old 10-29-2013, 06:51 PM

I received this BS from my doctor just now: :flam ing:

I called the carrier to verify status, was informed that the decision was upheld yesterday. The carrier is going to mail a letter to you and provide us with a copy.

Per Aetna , it is not medically necessary.
Awaiting Insurance for 2 ADR Lumbar L5-S1 L4-L5
Discogram showed Shredded L5-S1
5 YO MRI of neck shows straightening of cervical spine, issues at C4-5 & C5-6 and C6-7 (central disk protrusions, bilateral uncovertebral joint arthropathy, moderate neural forminal stenosis, severe central stenosis with cord compression)
Aetna approved C6-7 replacement, scheduled for 11/17