ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 06-05-2015, 01:14 PM

Default Looking to to ADR with M6

Hi everyone,

I'm a new member here and I'm happy that I joined this informative community.

I am 28 years old and I have suffered from lower back pain for about 11 years and I'm committed to fix it this time and get my life back.

Thank you Harrison for creating this community

Faravahar
- I started to feel a sharp pain in my neck C6-7 whenever I was bending my neck forward in Sep 2013
Done ADR L4-5,L5-S1,C6-7 with Dr.Clavel in Sep 2015
Old 06-05-2015, 01:25 PM

Faravahar, this board is all about ADR. However, I wouldn't limit yourself to just one device. Don't get me wrong, the M6 is a very good one. However, this does not necessarily mean it's the best for you in your circumstances.

I recommend you get some opinions from ADR surgeons both here in the U.S. and in Europe. Europe is clearly ahead of us in terms of ADR. However, there are some good devices (i.e. Mobi-C) that have been approved for use in the U.S. and are much more likely to be covered by insurance.

They are doing clinical trials here on the M6. Perhaps you can look into that as well.

Good luck!!
Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 06-05-2015, 04:48 PM

Default M6 vs Mobidisc

Thanks Gene for the input, I have a bit of arthritis in my facet joints and so the artificial disc has to have a controlled range of motion, that's why I'm thinking that M6 would work better and also I already talked to Dr. Bierstedt and he recommended M6.
- I started to feel a sharp pain in my neck C6-7 whenever I was bending my neck forward in Sep 2013
Old 06-06-2015, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Faravahar...

There are several different grading systems that classify the degree of your facet arthrosis. In general, moderate to severe arthritis of the facets are a contraindication for ADR surgery.

If you already know you have this condition, I would work extra hard on getting the affected levels classified.

Another general statement: Euro docs will tend to be more aggressive in recommending ADR for patients with facet arthrosis. Some patients who have this regret getting ADR -- especially some of the ProDisc patients.

Use search function above to look for ample topics on these important issues. We have 11 years of articles and post-op stories!

Terms:

facet arthrosis
facet arthritis
arthritic facet
facet hypertrophy
contraindication
facet complications

You get the point. This should get you started.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-06-2015, 03:16 PM

Default M6-L revamp

Hasn't the initial comps with M6-Lbeen address? I think it's better now for lumbar than it first was. In either case; if you have had facet joint issues, a constrained device like M6 would seem best. Like Harrison said; the Pro-disc has had a lot of issue where this is concerned. Still one has to weigh their options. There are different things that cause pain where the spine is concerned. The nerves that exit the spinal canal, the spinal cord itself, then there is the bone on bone from spurs (osteophytes) and facet joints. What is your primary pain source? Mine was the bone spurs pressing o the nerves. My facet joints were only mild so I was a good candidate. Also keep in mind, radiologist read MRI's and CT in varying opinions. It may be worth it to get more than one! I have had one mention something and another leave it off altogether...
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 06-07-2015, 02:45 AM

Thank you guys for your comments,
My CT- Scan :
L4/5: there is mild loss in disc height. There is a generalized posterior disc bulge. This is more pronounced in a left posterolateral location with narrowing of the left lateral recess. There is mild bilateral facet osteoarthritis. Mild bilalteral neural foraminal is present.

L5/S1: There is a generalized posterior disc bulge mild in extent. There is minimal contact upon the traversing S1 nerve roots bilaterally slightly worse on the left. Neural foramina are normal. No facet pathology is seen.

I've done esteroid injection into my facet joints but I felt no difference what so ever after the injection, I just don't know why my doctor suggested that because I didn't have any pain on the sides, my pain is a very very central burning pain, it just recently started to go down my left leg, it's not severe though but my lower back pain is horrible, I can not sit down more than 5 mins at the time. I did epidural injection on L4/5 after my facet injection hoping that it would work since it was very close to the source of my pain but again no change.
Old 06-07-2015, 02:55 AM

Also I have to mention that the loss of height in my L4/5 is because of the discectomy that I did in 2013 whereas all the jelly like substance was taken out of my L4/5 disc. The sharp pain that had added to my main pain at exactly the same area about 1 year before that surgery was gone after the surgery but my original pain is still there.