ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-19-2007, 06:13 PM
Administrator

A Belated Happy New Year, ADRSupport Members!

This past year has been one of much activity for patients, device makers and the new Arthroplasty Patient Foundation.

ADRSupport Joins The Arthroplasty Patient Foundation (APF)

Finally, I’ve decided to formalize my efforts by filing as a Mass. corporation, seeking non-profit status (called 501 c 3). In 2006, I worked with a top-notch law firm in Boston to ensure trustworthy compliance for all state and federal filings, and have already benefited immensely by their thorough counsel.

Executive Board Established

I am happy to announce that Dr. Scott Blumenthal and Dr. Rudolph Bertagnoli have joined APF as board members. Dr. Blumenthal was the first U.S. doctor to perform ADR in the U.S. (March 2000) at the Texas Back Institute and is an instructor for doctors learning arthroplasty procedures (Charite’ et al). Dr. Bertagnoli is known as an arthroplasty pioneer, practicing artificial disc replacement since the 1980s, when it was not even at the controversial stage in the U.S.! I am honored to have them as key advisors in the new organization, where their experience and vision will lead APF into an influential and truly helpful organization.

New CARES Program for Clinical Outcome Data

Finally, industry execs are getting serious about tracking patient outcomes! Depuy Spine has launched a new program to survey ADR patients to measure patients’ overall satisfaction. I am honored to be on the advisory committee as a patient advocate, working to represent patients’ interests in the publishing of studies to meet their needs (both education and decision support). The CARES program will include both ProDisc and Charite patients -- kudos to Depuy execs for “reaching across the isle” and inviting “competitors” to work together!

Here’s Where You Come In

My challenges for the new organization are numerous and include fundraising to program creation to managing a new non-profit. There are many ways in which members can help, directly or indirectly -- here are just a few:

1. If you’ve already paid for your procedure, and are not financially stressed, please make a donation to the new APF through PayPal or by check. Unfortunately, we have received no donations in the past four months and started the year with less than $1000. See this link for Paypal; or you may send a check as well. My goal is to raise $50,000 by March 31st. Your contribution will be tax-deductible for 2007; I will send you an email receipt for your badly needed donation.

2. Though I am somewhat research-savvy, it’s challenging to locate appropriate foundations to help APF. If you personally know people with the interest and means to assist AFP, an introduction can be very helpful in facilitating a dialogue. If you know celebrities or wealthy people that can help, please email or phone anytime with your thoughts.

3. To execute correctly on key projects in 07, I’d benefit by having a CTO board member to assist in creating & implementing IT projects. Do you know anyone that has been a CTO or CIO that may be interested in becoming a board member?

4. If the above items do not interest you, there are ways you can help OUR cause, by giving back to the community! You can help other people in need in many ways, simply by posting words of support or assistance -- “Pay it forward!”

Thank you to all of you for contributing to an amazing community that has helped people all over the world. Good health and peace to all of you in 2007!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-19-2007, 07:19 PM

When I see my registration date I think of the fall I took a week before I found ADRsupport.org. I got on the phones and ended up speaking with Depuy/Charite, every day. Depuy suggested ADRsupport.org!!! They recognized something good right from the beginning. I could not have pulled this off if not for the members before me. Some remain to me, bigger than life. May the paypal folder ring and ring, look for my ding.
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 PM

DING.
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 01-24-2007, 06:31 PM
Administrator

Many thanks to Tim, Bill, Mark, Sharman, Tricia and Alastair for your donations!

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate