ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-13-2005, 10:37 AM

Hearing so many posts about perfect ADR and posterior stabilization candidates suffering or settling for less than optimal surgeries due to insurance or medicare limitations just makes my blood boil. I've had to pay for multiple surgeries in cash and basically gave up the possibility of home ownership to do it. If they end up working properly, it will have been a good trade. I know that, in response to the insurance crisis in our country, the laws about medical savings accounts and similar stuff are changing. Additionally, there are supplementat type insurance policies that may be helpful to some people. This stuff won't help if some one needs immediate treatment, but, for those who have time to wait, I wonder if we could gain a bit of independence from the insurance companies and such by taking advantage of some of the new laws.

Are there any smart accountants or insurance experts on the forum who could weigh in on this?

Harrison, feel free to move this to the big bucket or whatever, but, I wonder if an insurance and financial section would be helpful to discuss these issues? From strategies of insurance and medicare filing, to deductibility of medical related travel, to wrangling with currency exchange rates, there are probably ways to make the surgeries we need more affordable. I'll bet there are some people on this forum way smarter than me money-wise who could help.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-14-2005, 06:50 AM

I think this sounds as if it's going to come under the new insurance section in the not too distant future
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 09-14-2005, 05:55 PM

I would agree with Alastair that most of the financial issues are related to insurance or the lack thereof. It will be helpful for those struggling with these issues to have one organized area to peruse.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-01-2005, 02:53 AM

I would love to see a finanacial section. For those without insurance, it would be most helpful to know how much the various surgery centers and surgeons charge an uninsured patient who is paying cash.

The European/UK surgeons and clinics seem much more willing to discuss a set price than do those in the US. Perhaps if prices were publicized, we might begin to see some competition?

One can only hope!

Betsy
Old 10-01-2005, 06:41 AM

Hi folks,
somewhere recently someone said that they were quoted $ 28,000 for a vascular surgeon to be at their surgery in the USA. I've tried to find the quote but can't do.

I just checked up on what my costs were in Europe and I've paid �2,684 ($3238) for the services of Dr Zeegers plus the vascular surgeon plus ensuring that the wound was okay after my surgery.

I think if the European figures were pushed at the insurance companies, then in theory they would send all the USA people to Europe and the whole thing would be so much cheaper for everyone concerned, and the insurance companies would be happy too. (Some members actually persuaded their insurance companies to pay for their surgery in Europe) and they agreed.

I know that's not practical because Europe could not cope with the vast number of people from the USA -- -- -- it certainly makes you think

It sounds to me as if the USA surgeons and medical people are on the huge "gravy train". I don't believe for one minute that they can't correspond with the people in Europe or in the UK and asked them what price they charge for the work involved.

I'd better stop now because it's getting a bit of a hobbyhorse of mine
best,
Alastair

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 10-01-2005, 01:24 PM

Alastair: I think you make some good points but I can't agree with you that US surgeons and medical people are on the "gravy train"--the cost for malpractice/liability insurance in the US is through the roof, especially for high-risk specialties such as neurosurgery. It's not as if American doctors are just raking in the big bucks without exorbitant expenses involved in just being able to practice medicine.
foraminal and central stenosis C5/C6 and c6/C7
2007 EMG/nerve conduction shows pattern of chronic radiculopathy
January, 2008: Prestige ST Artificial Disk Replacement, C5/6
Old 10-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Banned

I too remember the post for $28,000 for an assistant vascular surgeon but I was quoted $3000 max. Dr. Regan's fee wasn't even that high.
Dale
Old 10-01-2005, 02:05 PM

The total cost outlined by my surgeon to the medical director of the workers' compensation insurer was $18,900. This included the device and the staff of 5 doctors. He sent in a value comparison between fusion and ADR. The difference was only $1,250. This was probably not the final total, but I believe it represents an accurate estimate.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 10-02-2005, 06:45 AM

For my complete surgery including three days in the Alphaklinik including the special corset I was charged
� 9,000 GBPGreat Britain Pound = $15,912.9 USD

That is for a single level ADR L5/S1

I don`t know if the exchange rate has changed much
Best
Alastair

www.adrsupportuk.com/