ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 04-03-2006, 10:00 PM

Hello Everyone,
I am not new here. I actually have been reading alot of posts for the past 4 years now. I would like to share the great news I got today.
Yes, my one level (L-5,S-1) Prodisc surgery has finally been approved today. I will be getting it done in May. Its still very hard for me to believe it, after waiting so long. I was told so many times in what month it would finally be approved, and then to find out it wasnt. These past 5 years of my life has been the hardest for me. All the pain, suffering and changes that I went through with all of this. The work comp system really makes your life hell. After 3 lawyers, 5 doctors, and who knows how many tests have been done, I hung in there. I know for all of you who are here, know what Im talking about. Only we know what we go through. I know many of you are waiting for approvals through your insurance. Well, if my work comp has finally decided, then I dont see why yours wouldnt.
Unfortunately, I am not done yet. After that, I will be having to get my 2 level cervical Prodisc-C done. I have had approval from Synthes and the FDA for a long time. But, again, my work comp insurance has denied that case. Thats ok, Im not giving up on that either. They WILL approve that one too. So, for all of you here, DONT GIVE UP.
My injury was 6 years ago, and that was when I had to become a stronger person, and fight for whats right for me. You all can do the same.
Dr. Michael Kropf will be performing my surgery.
And I cant wait. I'm going in positive for a better recovery. Good luck to all of you, and for who are waiting, it will happen very soon.

Dina
Old 04-03-2006, 10:44 PM

Congratulations for fighting for your rights. Nobody should have to be denied treatment and especially for that length of time. I hope your surgery is real successful. Come back and tell us how your doing.
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 04-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Banned

Hi Dina,

Congratulations! So many of us give up the fight because it's so draining. We tend to want to leave something for the surgery itself and get so tired of the fight. It's good to know that hanging in there does have its rewards. I wish you every good luck.

Dale
Old 04-04-2006, 12:52 AM

Good for you! Everyone that wins the fight makes it a bit easier for the rest of us! Good going! Happy recovery to you!
Evaluated by Dr Blumenthal at TBI
2/2005 ADR 2 level recommended
2 level lumbar fusion
Old 04-04-2006, 11:34 AM
Banned

Dina,
Congrats! I'm fighting now for ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1 as it's thought that I'm too collapsed for the prodisc at this level and with jacking the disc space up, it may be too much for the nerve .. I already have alot of nerve related symptoms from a failed percutaneous surgery and scar tissue encasing rt. S1 nerve root.

Anyway, 2 non certs so far..

Will most definately be tellng my WC Nurse Case Manager about your case!

Best of luck!!! BTW, is your surgeon at The Spine Center in Santa Monica? I have seen Dr.Bae there twice..
Old 04-05-2006, 07:43 AM

Presuming that you have issues @L4-L5 (and by the way, I have UHC as well, and I don't have the time or the energy to try and fight with UHC to get ADR coverage)....

One level ADRs are sometimes covered by some insurance companies, if it is Charite. The current info/rumor is that one level Prodisc should be approved within the next week or so (and you are right that Medicare has currently refused to cover ADR surgery).

Two level ADRs are not currently covered here in the U.S.

Prospective options if you are having insurance coverage issues (this is just my opinion):

1. Dr. Zeegers (Germany)
2. Dr. Bertagnoli (Germany)
3. Upcoming U.S. study (example: Activ-L / Dr. Yue)

Hope this helps

David
Old 04-06-2006, 01:34 AM

This is really great news Dina - 5 years is a long time to wait - you're there now.
Now start reading up on what you should and shouldn't do after surgery.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Hucky
Treated for whiplash, PT, Accupuncture, Massage symptoms predominatly on left hand side. No relief.
Aug 04 C6/7 ruptures. MRI shows no deteriorat
Old 04-19-2006, 01:52 AM

Dina,

That is a great story!!! Little does your insurer realize that you will by much stronger after your first surgery, to fight for your rights on the second surgery.

I am so happy that you helped blaze the trail for the rest of us!!!

Good Luck and get well soon and be stronger than ever!!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 03:52 AM

Hey, great news Dina!! Be sure to keep us posted on your post-op; keeping fingers crossed for a succesful surgery and recovery.

I'd like to add another future option to David's list, for those with insurance coverage issues:

4) the Mobidisc (lumbar) is scheduled to go into clinical trials in late 2006. You'll find info on LDR's new website:

www.SecondGenerationDisc.com

Trace
Old 05-05-2006, 10:39 AM

Hi Everyone,
I thought I would come back and write to tell all of you that I'm still waiting. My work comp has authorized everything, but the only thing thats holding this up is the final FDA approval for Prodisc. Does anyone have any news on why its not approved yet? Meanwhile, they have sent me to get an mri, and I have met with my nurse case manager. I have one question though, should I let the nurse case manager in with me on my doctor visits? Anyway, I have been so anxious, and cant wait for the surgery. Thanks all of you for responding. Keep it coming.

Injured 8-24-2000
DDD L5-S1
DDD C-4,5-5,6
Epidural steroid injections lumbar & cervical
x-rays, mri's, etc.
waiting for Prodisc for L5-S1, and Prodisc C for two levels on C-4,5-5,6