ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Administrator

OK, I think I finally figured out �neck thing.� Almost a month ago, I did some exercises that I believe pinched nerves in my lower neck -- in the brachial plexus area (probably the long thoracic?). The brachial plexus is a very complex piece of anatomy � a bundle of nerves, arteries and muscles that are near the shoulder. Pinched nerves in this area are not uncommon, especially among athletes.

Any way, I was doing the �standing leg press� which exerts downward force on the shoulder. Nothing �popped� then, but I felt a localized pain in my shoulder blade later that day. After sorting through different symptoms and daily activities, I figured I must have bruised a nerve in this area. A visit with the neurologist is surely the next step�I can�t wait for an EMG!

In the past year, I have talked to people that have injured themselves on inversion tables, nautilus equipment, and other specialized high-tech systems like the Medex. Most of these people even had professional assistance but still got hurt! One can never be too careful, I suppose.

My weight training days are probably over. I am moving to the safer world of Tai Chi. Aerobic activities? Coffee gets your heart rate up, doesn�t it?!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-27-2004, 11:51 AM
Banned

Rich,

Good to hear you are getting your "neck issues" figured out. Please let us know how things progress with your new activities and with your visit to the Neuro.

No more standing leg presses ya hear!

Justin
Old 12-27-2004, 01:28 PM

I have a brachial plexus injury and the home exercise program from Peter Edgelow for brachial plexus injuries helped me quite a bit. See www.edgelow.com

The program comes with a book and videotape of the exercises and all the equipment you need to do it.

Swimming helps me alot as well, but only backstoke. If I am flared up, I do backstoke without my arms and it still helps. It did take me a year to work up to swimming but my injury was quite bad, you might not have such difficulites.

EMG isn't a very sensitive test for brachial plexus injuries (partially since it's hard to test across the plexus and partially since EMG doesn't test some type of nerve fibers that are often involved) so even if you have a negative result, you can still have an injury.
Old 12-27-2004, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Thx Justin, I'll lay low. Lisa, your posts are always very helpful, thanks for the site.

Old 12-27-2004, 10:34 PM

Okay, now I understand how you could have injured that area. I was thinking the leg presses were like from a sitting position. For me, I think I will stick with Pilates. (been slacking off over the holidays) - Time to get motivated again!!!
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 12-28-2004, 04:51 PM

Glad you know what caused it now.

How is it feeling? You getting treatment yet?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:55 PM

The exercise you are describing are called "Hack Squats" and they place a tremendous amount of force directly on top of the spine - basically compression, this exercise is one that I did for a very long time and ended up really screwing up my spine, there is actually only a few leg press machines that I have found that are safer on the spine. One is designed by Cybex and it is called the "Squat Press". the other is called the "Classic Leg Press" also by Cybex and Nautilus has a new leg press that I like, I have used these and own one of them - the squat press is a leg press that simulates a squat, I place a foam pad directly in my lower back area.

Being that the hack squats cause spinal compression, this can affect the cervical area, you also must have very strong upper back muscle in order to perform this exercise safely.

I do not believe that your weight-lifting days are over, you just need to do the right exercises on the right equipment. Being able to workout safely with a spine issue is all about perfect ergonomics... and these must be applied to correctly designed exercise machines, not all of them are...AND knowing how to properly contract the right muscles at the RIGHT TIME. Any questions feel free to email me, I would be happy to help you.
Andro1111
Old 12-30-2004, 11:03 AM
Administrator

thx Laura. I am curious about a few things. First, is that you on your web site? Wow?!

And from your experience, how many people (trained or not) injure their brachial plexus with hack squats?
Old 12-31-2004, 08:29 AM

Yea that's me, 3 years after my first herniation, Thanks.

Yes...when doing the hack squat the shoulder and scapula area (upper back)are taking a direct load, they offer a lot of support...one reason why I was still able to squat well after my spine injuries. All squat movements utilize every single muscle in the body, therefore any one of them can be injured, no matter what condition of individual, moving a certain way when one should be still, fatigue, lack of concentration, lack of flexibility and the area could be simply a weak area in some individuals. It is very easy to injure the neck area when working on any exercise simply by just turning the neck while lifting or relaxing it while lifting.

Laura