ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-15-2005, 03:12 PM

hi folks ..Why do they even have workmen comp??
From what i see and been though it dont help anybody but the insurance company...there is no safty net for people with spine troubles...The workmens comp DR that the insurance comp. made me to go to...is a total QUACK!!!! please, this DR should have his licence taken away..I though DR.S took a code to help people and not screw them over for the money...what a joke!!!!IF it wasnt for my wife and mom and pop.i would be on the streets sleeping on cardboard...My real DR told me about one his back patients had run out of money and was liveing in a car...he help her find a temp place..jezzzzzz ..There is a huge problem here folks...the insurance companies are getting richer while people suffer....peter noonan
Old 05-15-2005, 04:11 PM

Sun,

I couldn't agree more with your statements. There is a conflict of interest relationship between work comp insurance companies and the physicians that they refer patients to. My impression is that these work comp carriers "reward" these chosen physicians in one way or another to "reduce" costs. Unfortunately, it is at our expense. If it wasn't for my family and husband - I would have been on the street myself.

I thank God every day that I/we were strong enough to fight back and research options to step out of this situation.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 05-16-2005, 03:02 AM

One of the attorneys I know described the purpose of work comp as a libility shield for companies and I think that's pretty accurate. You give up your right to sue your company for your injury in exchange for medical treatment and disability benefits. It would not be so bad an exchange if you actually got the later.

It's a big savings for your company. They only paid 20% of the medical costs in my case and I have two expensive injuries. If you add in the real value of my lost wages the savings are really huge compared to a lawsuit for my injuries.

For failed back surgery such that you can never work again, you get about $2000 a year for 5 years as compensation for never working again.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:40 AM
Banned

I think I'm one of those that has had a pretty good experience with Worker's Compensation Insurance overall considering I injured my back in '82 and have was fortunate enough to get lifetime medical benefits as part of the award covering my low back.

This is not to say that I've not had some pretty gruesome struggles with WC before my benefits were awarded and even earlier after the award of lifetime future medical but overall in the last 12 years, it has been greatly beneficial to me to have this coverage.

Since '82 I've had 2 spine surgeries, and since '92 with diagnosis of failed back syndrome (failed surgery) I've utilized the benefits episodically until '98 and then continually for Pain Management from 2001 until now.

Since '98 WC insurance has authorized a 3 level global fusion that I never had, and 2 - 2 level Prodisc ADR replacement surgeries that I've yet to have either. They say they will approve this surgery whenever I'm ready to have it..

Of late, another MRI has been ordered and authorized..

I can't complain right now.. the insurance has definately benefited me to date..

Now I always am waiting for the other shoe to drop re WC as one never knows, esp. given the climate of WC politics in California right now~
Old 05-19-2005, 07:49 AM

Maria.

I think that you are one of the fortunate few... The only thing I can "thank" work-comp for is delaying and "red tapping" my case so much to delay medical treatment which gave me enough time to research alternative options (along with my rights) - eventually ending up receiving ADR. Though, of course this was at my own financial expense. I thank God every day that my ADR surgery was a success thus far...
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 05-19-2005, 08:26 AM

Maria ~ Poncho

Either way it's too bad you're here by way of where you've been!

I know 'cause I've been there too.

Poncho: hopefully the image of your spine story will continue to fade in your rear view mirror.

Maria: Lifetime WC medical benefits are a poor substitute for a healthy back and the life that goes with it! Hopefully the inflection point we're watching for comes up soon!
Old 05-19-2005, 11:43 AM
Banned

Poncho,
I could have had the surgery already..and am hoping I didn't make a mistake in delaying, so at this point I cannot blame WC if there's been further deterioration that may have stopped w/an earlier intervention. The fact that they don't want to pay for out of country surgery/surgeon makes sense in a WC type of way tho I think I would have been gone already if it were paid for by WC (w/Dr.B).

Biffnoble,
Lifetime Future med may be a poor substitute for a good back tho believe me, I've not been sorry I got this benefit in the least.... the bad back, well, that I could definately live w/o!
Old 05-25-2005, 10:28 PM

I guess it is time I realize they will not pay. I hope they realize I am never going to give up. I have wanted to tell you what I have been up to for a month, but who would believe me. Well seeing is believing. www.Paybilly.com Yup, that is me.
Poncho, I forgot you were WC and self pay. So I will not be alone. I feel like this is my opportunity coming up and should not miss it.
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue
Old 05-25-2005, 11:19 PM

Hi JL:

Great work!

A minor spelling error on your web-page: "Artificial Disc receipiants"(sp) [recipients]

Captions:
"Little Spiney fights Big Brother Insurance."

Or:
"JL: One Spine Sufferer with a lot of Backbone!"

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2005, 09:36 PM

thank biff, I need the critique. I like both your captions a lot! I especially need view points from our community of my story from the public perception. Am I getting it across I am being railroaded and to keep public support? When I am able to stand on the picket line, the honks and tooks and waves are plentiful, so I know I have a good subject, Anti-Insurance. When I get the final photos posted, I want to share this with the community, what do you think?
6-14-05 L4/5 & L5/S1 Prodisc Yale New Haven CT Dr. James Yue