ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toebin View Post
Karin,

First of all Welcome Back !!

It looks like you've had a lot going on with your journey to find a solution to your pain. I see from your signature that you have surgery scheduled for this month.

What exactly are they expecting to do ? What levels of repair are they looking at?

Are you still seeing the docs in NYC or someone else ?
Hi Toebin,

Thank you for the welcome back!

I have a facet block scheduled for Monday, Jan. 5th. Depending on the result of the block, that will determine if I have a fusion or ADR at L5/S1.

I am still seeing docs in NYC as I have given up on docs in my area.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 01-03-2009, 09:42 PM

Default Welcome

Hello Karin,
I would also like to wish you a welcome back. I am sorry that you have so much pain and I hope that whichever outcome (ADR or fusion) you have with your surgery that you do well.
Pain is so very hard, draining, debilitating, crazy making, and on and on. I am also looking at possible surgery so I will follow you closely and wish you the very best.

Which surgeon are you going to in NY? I am in Calif. but wonder who the NYC Guru is? I do find that each Dr. seems to like their own team which is at times comforting since they all seem to work together well. Please keep on posting.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back and leg pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009
Old 01-04-2009, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Karin,

Keep us posted on how the procedure goes. None of this is fun by any stretch of the imagination, but traveling the path is a bit easier when you know you have friends that care and can walk beside you as you strive to get better.

Phylly... your description of the pain we all go through about says it all
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:02 PM

Phylly,

I finally decided to go and see Dr. Bitan to get a final opinion from him. I figured if anyone could tell me for sure if I was a candidate, it would be him. Plus, he has done over 700 ADR surgeries & you just can't beat that experience.

I have met with his team of doctors & have to say that they were a pleasure. His office staff is awesome as well.

Toebin,

It is a comfort to know that I have friends who are there to walk beside me & guide me through this process. If it wasn't for this online community, I would still be in the darkness of uncertainty.
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 01-05-2009, 01:50 AM

Karin,

It is scary when you are making that decision about what you are going to have done on your back. It is a big step and takes a lot of thought, which isn't so easy when you are in pain.
I remember watching Dr. Bitan's video (where he implants a Charite) and was impressed on how he was so meticulous about putting in the ADR.
Good luck with your decision and any upcoming procedures.

Kimmers
Old 01-05-2009, 10:26 AM

Karin,

Good luck with your facet block today. I hope it is thoroughly diagnostic for you. Keep us updated on your news. We're pulling for you!

Best,

Cindylou
vertibroplasty @ above levels, 9/15/01
4/06 hip labral tear repair
4/07 Lumbar ProDisc replacement by Dr. B., 3 levels; L3-6
7/2/08 ALIF of L6-S1
7/30/08 Removed bone cement.
8/7/08 Diagnosed with pulmonary embolism, double pneumonia, collapsed left lung, pleurisy, pleural effusion.
3/10/09 right SI Joint Fusion; seeing light at end of tunnel, for first time in 8 years!!
Old 01-05-2009, 12:41 PM

Karin,

Best wishes, I think you've made a good decision to see a doctor with experience. A staff and doc who treats you like an individual who's suffering and needs reasurance is often rare. Your so lucky to find this group even though it takes a huge effort on your part to see them.

Prayers and good wishes, Sandy
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany
Old 01-07-2009, 01:45 AM
Super Moderator

How ya feeling Karin ?

Hope your procedure went well and am very interested in hearing how things are after the fact.
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM

Hi everyone,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. I never received an e-mail stating there were responses to this thread. Odd.

Kimmers,

You are absolutely correct. It is hard to make the right decisions when it comes to what the correct path is when you are in pain. Lord knows I have second guessed myself many times. I'm just tired of being in more pain. And when I have people I work with who say to me "I can see that you are in pain. It's written all over your face" it gave me another reason to seek help.

I have seen the video of Dr. Bitan implanting the Charite disc into a patient & I have to agree he was very meticulous. This was part of the reason why I sought his help. You can't go wrong with experience & expertise.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09