ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-11-2004, 07:33 PM

Hi,

Just a question about antibiotics before dental work.

My surgeon prescribed 2 grams of Keflex 2 hrs prior to the dental procedure and 2 grams 2 hrs after the procedure.

I took the antibiotics as directed but when the dentist got done he told me I should have taken the antibiotic one hour prior, instead of two hours prior to the procedure.

Basically I'm having two crowns replaced that were chipped/cracked during my ADR surgery 4 months ago.

My mouth bled a lot and from what I've read on joint replacement and antibiotics the antibiotics aren't as effective if taken 2 hrs prior instead of 1 hr.

So now I'm worried and am wondering if I've put myself at higher risk for infection.

My other question is how long is recommended to wait between procedures since I'm going to have to take antibiotics again? I'm scheduled to go back in 7 days for a cleaning and crown placement.

Thanks,

Gem
Old 11-11-2004, 08:49 PM
Banned

Gem,

I had several cleanings before my dental office realized that I should be taking antibiotics.

The last few visits, I took antibiotics as prescribed. The last one visit, I forgot and took them after I got home.

I think the risk of infection is low. It's already done, so don't stress about it.

Teeth damaged during the surgery? They put mine in through an incision in my abdomen. It must be nice not having a big scar, but installing the discs orally must be tough... talk about minimally invasive surgery!!!

Did they drop you?

Mark
Old 11-11-2004, 09:08 PM

Mi Mark,

You are too funny :-) Thanks I needed the laugh tonight.

My crowns (two front teeth) were probably damaged during intubation. Since I was sleeping at the time, I can't really say for sure how it happened but they were fine before surgery and damaged afterwards.

Gem
Old 11-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Administrator

Gem, sorry about your crowns. I can't help but to envision what the procedure must have been like -- it's sounds kind of rough to have lost your teeth? Does that take a lot of force?

Any way, I can't help you with the antiobiotics thing...maybe Ponch can chime in...I think she knows a lot about this stuff.

On a semi-related note, there seems to be more and more anecdotal evidence that connects shorter (ADR) recovery times with good dental hygience. Time will tell.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-12-2004, 09:03 AM

Hi gem,
well I work on a system now with my dentist, whereby when I leave her she gives me a prescription for antibiotics which I take an hour prior to seeing her next time and so it is a continuous process.

Talking about teeth and dentists a hot tip here for all our members who might be having problems with their teeth following taking medications.

There is a toothpaste called Duraphat 2800 and is only available from your dentist. It's at high fluoride toothpaste which is very good at preserving your teeth if you have been taking a lot of medication as many of us have to keep the pain down prior to ADR.

I thought I'd just leave that as a bit of a tip for everybody.
Best,
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-12-2004, 10:19 AM

gem,

Don't sweat it!!! Yes, your dentist is right that it may have been a better idea to take the one dose of Keflex one hour before your procedure. Reason being is that Keflex Peaks within in hour of ingestion. HOWEVER it's duration last 6-8 hours. So regardless, you should be covered. Also, other things need to be considered here - most importantly is rate of absorption. Depending on what you ate during the day before taking your medication and other medications you were on could have slowed this process down. - etc. (day of procedure) -

There are many patients out there that have dental procedures who have implants somewhere in their body without taking any prophylactic antibiotic therapy and are doing fine.

I would say that one hour's difference is not going to tip the boat - especially considering that you took the Keflex for a couple days before and after the procedure.

Hokie Dokie? Now quit holding your breath and breathe - inhale and now exhale...... I'm confident you will be okay. ;-)

Sy,
Poncho
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!
Old 11-13-2004, 05:43 PM

Thanks Everyone,

Harrison

I actually knocked my teeth out when I was twelve going headfirst off a bicycle. This will be the third time I've had my crowns redone :-(

Alistair

Thanks for the tip I will ask for the dentist to call in a prescription with refills to cover the next few visits. I'm very careful to make sure and go every six months for a cleaning. I will ask about the toothpaste as well. My dentist did tell me prior to the surgery to use Biotene to help with dry mouth from meds.

Poncho

Thanks :-) I took the Keflex with food so probably slowed down the absorbtion. So I had two doses total, one two hours before and one two hours after. I heard back from the surgeon's office yesterday and they said I should be ok with the dosing too. Only thing now is that my mouth still hurts :-( and is still bleeding off and on.

Thanks to all of you, I feel better now and am not so worried.

Gem