ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-07-2006, 09:32 PM

Hiya.

Finally decided to get serious about PT and am seeing one. I have a Swedish Ball that's sitting deflated in the closet and some Mari Winsor's mat Pilates DVDs. Naturally, I haven't checked them out in depth.

But before I do, can anyone provide warnings on exercises that can hurt me? I know that if it really hurts later (esp. me w/delayed onset pain) then don't.

In short, also, has anyone really profited from a strong PT program using any of these modalities?

Been told I'm a "spondy" and not sure what this means; however, there's an instability factor going on and my sense is that PT can go so far.

Thanks a lot! - Allan

P.S. The check w/be in the mail - sometime.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:05 PM

oh yeah, the tools I have now for coping with pain are invaluable to me.
I do some swiss ball, a lot of yoga, and some exercises. you need a pt therapist that knows back stuff to show you, and you need to listen to your body otherwise you will run the chance of injuring yourself. there are a lot of little things that although will not cause a huge amount of damage, they will hinder your recovery
Old 07-08-2006, 07:02 AM

Good for you being disciplined. I think it'll take quite a while to get there - esp. w/feeling stable on that ball.

Don't know your injuries but have you ever tried paddling or kicking legs up/down in deep water for aerobics?

Just checking..

Be well, Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-08-2006, 05:58 PM

nah, I like to hike when I fell well enough

one of the more valuable things that i have learned is how to squat

feet parallel, below the hips, heels on the ground

not only is it a good stretch, it is how you are supposed to pick up objects (stand up straight while looking at the sky)
and it is one of my more comfortable positions
Old 07-08-2006, 06:56 PM

Sorta like a Cambodian vs. catcher.

When you hike, do you put a day pack on that carries water (as we live in SoCal? Also, and I've not figured this out yet: does downhill hiking hurt the lumbar area?

Man, I used to hike every weekend and race up Temescal - esp. w/a full moon.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Allan, Dylan offer some good advice -- try to find a PT professional that has specifically had spinal rehab training (a special program). I'm not dsure what percentage have actually has this; when I asked around, it wasn't too many.

I need to find one for my mom -- she's 79 and has a really poor spine. What are my chances of finding a PT that knows geriatric & spine?!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-09-2006, 01:34 PM

Rich,

I didn't know that there's a specific spinal rehab. program which makes sense. Mine worked on my multifudus muscles the first day - a good sign.

Maybe a good PT who works with spinal pts. will do - if kind. Nice of your to watch after Mom.

Take care, Allan
Old 07-09-2006, 04:41 PM

I have used Winsor Pilates and Core Secrets with a physio ball. I love both programs for a good workout routine at home. It is extremely important to listen to your body and not over extend yourself with either program. There are some exercises that involve rotation and turning and/or rocking on the spine. I avoid these and modify the program. I would suggest actually watching the routines prior to attempting the exercises.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 07-09-2006, 09:07 PM

I had am awesome PT in San Diego that worked with elderly patients. You can find them.

There are very simple basic things that she can do on the ball but having a PT show her is the best thing.

I crack my upper back and SI joints by rolling down/and bending backwards over the ball, and it is HUGE to help me release a lot of joint tightness...and it's much more comfortable and gentle than using a foam roller which another PT suggested.

I am also supposed to alternate lifting a knee one at a time..but to do this without a PT watching and showing you...she could be doing it with bad form and doing more damage than good.

I also lean against the wall with the ball between my low back and the wall, and roll down bending at the knees for squats. Standing against the ball, in the right position feels very good, and she wouldn't have to bend very far to start. Again, only if a PT recommends this particular exercise.

Just sitting on the ball with proper posture, watching tv helps to strenthen core muscles.

I do light weights for an arm work out while sitting on the ball. Sitting on the ball adds to your balance and gives a little bit of a core muscle work out.

I also put one leg on the ball at a time for gentle stretching of back of thighs.

New ins paid for 2 level lumbar prodisc surgery on 4/7/08 (at age 39) with Dr. Westerlund, at Core Orthop
Old 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM

Another suggestion is to take the instructional card or pamphlet that illustrates the key exercises (12 I believe)to a PT and/or surgeon and have them review the routine in relation to your back status.

Be well!
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."