ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 06-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Banned

I have the flattest feet imaginable and had several orthotics made in the past for arch support. It's a long history of excuses as to why I haven't worn them, tho they always make something hurt it seems and since my low back has been a mess for 20 plus years, yes, my back seems to hurt more when I try to wear them.

Recently I saw a new Podiatrist as I have a bunion that's bothering me. He wanted me to bring my orthotics along so I did however, when I said they increase the back pain I have when I wear them, he went off on me~

He said he didn't have time for negative people, and wasn't going to waste his time listening to someone who complained of orthotics causing back pain.

I calmed him down by changing my wording a bit and stated my back has been painful since my injury and I didn't mean the orthotics caused it, just the pain increased with them on. Most likely (truthfully) because they change my stance altogether and my body has enough problems just dealing handling my normal stance and gait without being thrown off at all in terms of my spine and any new adaptations it might have to make.

So I left the office agreeing to wear the things anyway and boom.. I start wearing them and even tho I'm only in an adjustment stage with less than a half hour under my belt, I started to get nerve pain in my left glute that goes upwards towards my hip. I could hardly walk home..

Same thing next day, however, only with shoes/orthotics on. Take them off and after awhile I was fine.

Today no orthotic, no problem... I don't want to put these things on and adjust to them if it's going to mean increased back pain. I know that there's a period of adjustment time however, my spine gets set off very easily by something and can stay "messed up" for weeks~ meaning more down than up time and I just don't want to create additional pain~

I also know that my feet are very pronated and I could use the arch support however, my back just doesn't feel the same way (like my head and spine aren't attached/don't mind me).

I'm wondering if and when I have ADR, maybe that would be a good time to start over with the orthotics since my spine would be structurally different then and have to make adaptations anyway.

Does anyone here wear orthotics or started wearing them at any point with their back problems, after surgery or any such thing?

This is a pretty off topic so if I don't get any replies I won't be surprised..
Old 06-16-2005, 08:07 PM
Administrator

Not off topic at all! Very important and insightful question to ask! I'll think about this one, as I've been wondering the same thing. I'll jump back in over the weekend.

thx for asking...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 06-16-2005, 09:45 PM

My doctor sent me to a Podiatrist who made orthotics in an attempt to help my back pain because my gait would be different and help decrease my back pain (can't remember what was wrong with the gait). The orthotics were made out of a hard material and just killed my feet (which already hurt from numbness and back pain) plus these made my shoes extra heavy which didn't help matters. I only wore these for 2 partial days and quit. I got a new doctor who again suggested that I wear some sort of orthotics and ordered me a pair of "superfeet footbeds" which are a shoe insert. At first these hurt my feet also but I kept wearing them and now it's been 3 months and they are broken in. My feet don't hurt anymore from the inserts or from the way I walk with them in my shoes. Doesn't seem to help my original foot pain or back pain though. However, I can't see how it corrected a problem with my gait but these do give me more support. These are also much cheaper than getting orthotics made. see www.superfeet.com
11/2000 IDET L 3/4, L4/5
1/2000 Discogram
numerous epidural injections
physical therapy
Old 06-16-2005, 11:37 PM

I'm with you Maria. I have an orthotic to counterbalance pronation from a collapsing knee. Supposedly to put put me back to a normal stance and gait. Well, it doesn't hurt anywhere to wear it, but at night, my back KILLS me! I only wear it every so often now if I'm walking a lot to try and keep my knee from getting worse.

I think your orthotist needs a lesson in listening and asking questions!
Old 06-17-2005, 02:27 AM

Maria, I have had 3 custom orthotics made over the years and they all fit very differently.I couldn't wear any of them all day, but only for short periods of time. Instead I found that if I wear a good shoe with medial support (brooks and asics are both certified by the American Podiatric Society) and add a spenco, a soft pad that gives additional support to my arch I am fine. I do agree that orthodics can cause back pain, I remember an incidence at work when I was standing, forcing myself to wear my new hard orthodic, when my back went out on me. I had to leave work immediately and didn't come back for a week. I know that it was caused by the orthodic. When I use to go to spinning class, I would add a store bought arch support made by Dr. Scholl, it was a 3/4 length support. That worked great. I have a whole box of store bought orthodics and I experiment putting them into different shoes to see what works. I know that if I don't have some medial(arch) support, my knees starts killing me. The key is to find that balance. My son has super flat feet, so I also buy him an expensive pair of asics running shoes with great arch support built into the shoe. His gait is so much better than if he is in an unsupported shoe, and I feel that giving him great support in his feet will help his whole spine as he develops into adulthood. If you still want the support of an orthodic you should try finding a shoe store that specializes in fitting you, they will watch the way you walk and look at your feet. I get most of the support I need because of the shoe instead of the orthodic, it works great for me.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:26 AM
Banned

Spotty,
thanks for the website, and I too have found that depending on the shoe and orthotic, sometimes the combination does seem way too heavy for my already rather numbed right foot~ not to mention how my back feels later!

Fortitudine,
Usually my pain has come after wearing the shoe for while, the legs get really tired, the back aches.. tho if it hurts anytime after wearing the orthotic for any extended amount of time~ that's too long for me!

Paulam,
I always buy a really good tennis shoe that is fitted specifically for pronation. Have to watch that I don't get a heel area that is overly stiff/supported tho had done really well with Nikes for the last 10 years or so. Lately I've not found a Nike style I found comfortable all the way round so bought some Asics that are GREAT.
The podiatrist even stated that they were good shoe (which my feet had previously confimred)
I'd been using a Spenco support that was recommended in a Running Store that I bought my shoes from for a long time. I thought they were very helpful tho according to this Podiatrist, he said they were "useless"...
Like you, I feel I need the shoe instead of the orthotic and I have to fit my foot overall as I have other concerns besides pronation altho created by pronation~

Harrison,
I surely hope your feet aren't bothersome too..

Thank you all for your replies, somehow I didn't think I was the only person with a bad back who wore orthotics and experienced an aggravated case of back pain!
Old 06-22-2005, 10:03 PM

"If the shoe fits..."

I have completely flat feet and I'm not sure if this is a hinderance.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 06-23-2005, 10:51 AM

For me, the orthotics or wearing earth shoes helps. You might try a pair of earth shoes if you can't tolerate the orthotics, they have good arch support and they keep your heel from moving around which is part of what the orthotics do. Plus they have sandals which you usually can't wear if you have orthotics.

Also custom orthotics vary alot. My friend had to get like 3 or 4 made before she found a doc that made ones that worked for her.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:37 PM
imported_pablocruise

Hey Mariaa, after my ADR I had to remove all of my orthodics. It just didn't feel right anymore.
Although I do have to buy specific shoes. Like the ones that are very expensive or the cool Jordan's...
Old 06-24-2005, 12:47 AM

Hi Maria,

I was kind of having similar problems with shoes and backpain prior to ADR. I didn't go to a podiatrist, however I did go to a medical equipment store that specializes in a bit of everything. I had my feet measured for a pair of Birkenstock(sp) shoes. At first they were sooooo comfortable, they were uncomfortable (if that makes sense until I broke them in (about a month or so). After that it has been smooth sailing with them. There an expensive shoe, but well worth it in my book.
Dr. Bertagnoli May 22, 2004 Rudolfinerhaus Vienna, Austria.
Currently DRUG FREE and living life again!
Knowledge is Power!!!