ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-16-2004, 09:08 AM
Administrator

I had a cervical MRI recently, with fairly average results � just a few mildly bulging discs, no stenosis anywhere. I suppose that�s good news�

Meanwhile, I have a lot of twitching in my legs and very sore muscles between my shoulder blades -- presumably from the muscle pull sustained 4 weeks ago in the thoracic area (I still don�t have a diagnosis). So, I am on the hunt for natural remedies to quell the crazy twitching. I know I can chase after a prescribed medication like Skelaxin (Metaxalone - thx Poncharita), but I am looking for natural supplements first. I found some neat recommendations here, but I was hoping to hear first-hand what natural supplements people have used to reduce both twitching and inflammation.

For what it�s worth, my sister had severe arthritis, and started taking fish oil and orange juice every day. She reported 100% relief!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-16-2004, 11:09 AM
Banned

Very interesting Harrison..
I too like the idea of homeopathic remedies where applicable. Especially vinegar and mustard for cramping... those are 2 things I could definately inject into my diet!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:33 PM

As long as the natural supplements come from a reputable source they should be fine, but the JAMA has a recent cautionary article on some of them: http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/short/292/23/2868

I started having thoracic problems after doing a yoga stretch/exercise (extension)in summer 2003 after spending months lying down. All my muscles went into extreme spasm, and since thene I have had pain much like yours. Docs vary, blaming cervical and thoracic discs, but I suspect it is an inflammation of fairly calcified / arthritic ligaments. Being able to move around more normally, time, gentle stretching, and power strengthening seem to help--and expecially, lots of time.

Bruce
Old 12-16-2004, 05:41 PM

I've found that a Glucosamine/MSM/vitamin C complex has reduced my pain levels dramatically. I have to take the full dose to get the effect.
Old 12-16-2004, 08:20 PM

Harrison,
We seem to both suffer from the same type of nerve disfunction post ADR. You and I have both spoke of the muscle pain and just to let you know I also have the lower body twitches. they seem to be at there worse upon relaxing and make my legs jump so much that my family and friends tease me. It seems as if the nerves got angry for the severe stretch they suffered and have taken on a mind of thier own firing off at will. I don't have any natural healing answers the only thing I am trying is hot/cold therapy to try and calm them down. We'll see if it helps!
Old 12-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Administrator

I had something going on before ADR which relates to this. Too much swimming gave some strange tendonitis symptoms. But luckily things are calming down -- thank God bodies heal the way they do! I just wish I knew more about what was causing the problem so I don't repeat it.

Reach, is your body getting enough oxygen (seriously)? Try some deep breathing exercises several times a day. It's also good for your thoracic muscles.

Thx everybody; I am on the mend...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-18-2004, 04:09 PM

You could try drinking tonic water, quinine is good for muscle twitching, cramps and restless legs symdrome.

A doctor can also prescribe quinine tablets if need be.

Sorry your thoracic area is still giving you trouble, I can sympathise!