ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:15 AM

Default referral to surgeon in Europe

I have read some about Dr. Clavel in Spain and Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany; which of these has done the most levels in the c-spine that include the c 2/3 using ADR? Thank you, Cheryl
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 07-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Cheryl,

I'd bet that Bertagnoli is the more experienced of the two. I know that he's been around longer and has been doing ADR's longer. But I wouldn't know who's done the most C2/3's. I know that access above to the spine above C4/5 is difficult. One of the reasons that my double ADR took 3.5 hours was due to the difficulty in accessing C3/4.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 07-09-2013, 02:23 PM

Hi Cheryl;

I would have to agree with JSS that Dr. B. would have more experience. I have been in contact with Dr. B for them to look at my MRI's and I actually have been dealing with Dr. Andrea Fenk-Meyer who seems terrific and has explained everything to me. She mentioned she would do the surgery unless I specifically asked for Dr. B.

The question when considering Clavel and B is not experience as they are two of the most experienced but rather the device you prefer. Dr. B has a investing interest in the Prodisk so you will most likely get that device if going to them where Clavel will do the M6.

Good luck in your journey. I soak all the information up that I can get from all the great people on this forum so that I will be able to make the best decision possible when/if that day comes.

Good Luck.

Mark
Pain/numbness/tingling since 2011
Old 07-09-2013, 02:53 PM

Hi Cheryl,
I am also in a similar situation as you. I have contacted both Dr. Clavel and Dr. Bertagnoli about a multi-level cervical ADR. From my own research, both surgeons are highly rated from their patients based upon excerpts I have read. Both have performed countless surgical spinal implants, and I'm sure that you would have a good outcome with either. At this point in time, my preference is toward Dr. Bertagnoli. His colleague, Dr. Andrea Fenk-Mayer has already been in touch with me and both have extensively reviewed all of my diagnostic tests. Their office required more extensive history and data. After reading about Dr. Bertagnoli, I am impressed with his outstanding credentials and background knowledge. I feel very informed about his philosophy and treatment protocol.
Just for the record, I did read under his "ProSpine" website - under the subtopic of "Engineering" that he is not contracted with any manufacturer of a device and is free to choose the best implant for the patient. I am leaning comfortably toward the M6.
On the other side, Dr. Clavel's office quotes a fee that is inclusive of your surgical experience, hotel, and aftercare. Dr. Bertagnoli's office will assist in discounts and suggestions about your hotel and travel, but I believe, base their surgical fee on the medical aspect of your trip. As I communicate more with both offices (determining my final decision - which I must do quickly), I will be happy to stay in touch. Please feel free to contact me as well with any information or findings you may have. Best of luck to you
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-09-2013, 03:06 PM

I speak on this with no personal experience with Dr. Bierstedt in Germany but have researched him and looks like a good surgeon with some very positive results on this and other forums. What I like about Bierstedt is that physiotherapy is included in his price. I think that is so important with any surgery let alone such a major surgery.
Cheers

Mark
Pain/numbness/tingling since 2011
Old 07-09-2013, 09:39 PM

Just for fyi, I specifically requested the M6 from Dr. B and was refused based on his "center of rotation" theory that is posted on his website. He is patented for the ProDisc and that is what he recommends.
Feb 2013 DDD at L4/L5 and L5/S1
June 2013 Stem Cells at Centeno in Colorado
July 2013 2 level ADR with Clavel
Old 07-10-2013, 08:06 AM

I just need to add my two cents. It sounds like Dr. Bertagnoli is going to lean towards pro-disc, whether it's a financial interest or a patent. It sounds like it's his "baby". If you want pro-disc and have done research and think that is the best device for you, then by all means, use him. If you want the M6, then stick with Dr. Clavel, Dr. Bierstedt, or Mr. Dare. The research ought to be amongst those 3, leaving Dr. Bertagnoli out of the equation. I must add that it is a nice service when hotel arrangements are taken care of and included in the package. When going abroad for surgery, one has enough to be concerned about without having to make these arrangements.
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C
Old 07-10-2013, 08:32 AM

Mary2013 & NJ Gene

Thank you for the clarification of Dr. Bertagnoli's interest in the ProDisc. This is the type of information I have been looking for and may have misunderstood.
In my opinion as well, I agree with NJGene about paying for everything inclusive in one package. There are far too many loose ends when making travel arrangements and you want to consider a surgeon who has a corporate account set up with an airline - in case you need to make date changes (?)
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6
Old 07-10-2013, 09:03 PM

Default Much appreciated

I can't tell you how valuable this information is. You have all given a lot to consider. I think I have what I need for now...Keep me updated if anyting else comes to mind! Cheryl
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 07-10-2013, 09:08 PM

LauraB, Unfortunately I think you are on your own with respect to the flights. I think the most important thing to do is get travel insurance. The cost of it is minimal (perhaps $100.00 per traveler to go to Europe). I always get this regardless of whether I fly domestically or internationally. It paid off a couple of times, once when my wife was diagnosed with Breast Cancer (thank goodness she's now ok). We had to cancel a vacation to the Caribbean. Also, years ago, my Dad was ill and we had to cancel a cruise. Besides non-refundable cancellation costs, it provides coverage for lost luggage, costs incurred in travel delays (i.e. hotel if you miss connection on last flight of the night), costs to change flights (need to come home sooner than expected) due to illness, and supplemental car rental insurance. It even covers emergency medical costs. Unfortunately, herniated discs are a pre-existing condition and this insurance won't cover you for that.

In terms of planning your trip, I believe you should allow for the time that the ADR surgeon you choose recommends. If you need to stay longer, the surgeon can sign off on the insurance claim form to cover the change fee. It can't hurt to ask the surgeons you are considering if they have deals with certain airlines. I know that Dr. Ritter-Lang has a deal with Lufthansa, but I would stay away from him based on everything I've read on these boards.

I hope this helps.

Gene
2008 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on left side
Feb, 2010 - Cervical Fusion C4/C5
Dec, 2010 - Lumbar Fusion L3/L5
2013 - Bulge on C5/C6; herniation C6/C7 right side
Mar 26, 2013 - Foraminotomy at C6/C7 on right side
May 5, 2015 - ADR with Dr Blumenthal of TBI for C5/C6 using Mobi-C