ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 10-11-2013, 08:44 PM

Default great to be here

Hi Laura B and Jerry 5. How fantastic and generous of you all to share your experience and real information. I was so motivated by what I read on the forum I submitted all my scans and files to Dr. Bierstedt's team immediately. Actually I sent a broad enquiry on their site and in a day Kelli was back to me with the links for the uploads of my images etc. I still have to have fresh x-rays done, and will upload these next week. Kelli got straight back to me to tell me that they will begin the assessment with the MRI's and Bone Density tests with Aust Neurosurgeon reports, etc. and let me know if they need the x-rays to clarify. Will do them anyway. I have gleaned mountains of preparation info from your entries and journey's which will save me allot of mucking about. I keep making notes of the tests I should get done - such as the metal alloy test.

Some days I think - Oh, I can manage, maybe I can go on for a while longer... then I do some small thing (heaven forbid), such as clean a floor or pick up a paint brush and do an hours painting, and bang...all the pain is back. Also Laura, when I filled out my patient report, I didn't put down 'leg pain', and a few other 'pain's', that come and go... but later, when I go to pick up a coffee in my left hand, and drop it, I remember. The leg pain is so subtle, but its there all right. I think I read here (was it you or another person) about the issues with vertigo. I don't have headaches (but used to big time when the problem started in 2000), but when I push myself, I feel like I am going to just pass out. The other issue is a sort of feeling as if my head is in a glass jar. Hearing is sort of weird. This creates a sense of imbalance. I reckon its related as after I rest it goes away. And I know its not the 'hormone thing'. I know the difference. Its quite distinct and its coming from the spine. So, here I am, and I am really glad I have found this site.

Hearing about your recoveries is really important to me, so I am going to stay inspired by reading the post op section too often

I was a bit confused when I first found the site - like a kid in a lolly shop - where I didn't know where to look first as there was so much pertinent information. The lollies are all relevant in this case!

I can see that you will all be able to help me with the various questions I have on the actual process, and decision on who to get to do the operation, as well as all these really important little details leading up to the op, during it, and afterwards - re travel, accommodation and other things.

I noted on the video for spine patients video preview that only 4 Aussies were listed there out of the 100% having travelled o/s to Europe to do this in a certain year. Most were from the US, UK and then Germany of course.

I guess this is just a further intro. I will post again with some questions and details. Thanks again to you all.
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 10-11-2013, 10:54 PM

Helen, Glad to be of help. We are all here together with a common bond. You will soon be on this side sharing your experience as well. I'm happy to hear that you are already getting prompt feedback from Dr. Bierstedt's office. The bone density test may be important, but he will also make that assessment during surgery as well (this is what he had done in my case, and I was pleased to find that he felt my bones were still in great condition - in spite of the grinding of the degenerative levels. I had a hard time trying to find a metal test, but Dr. Bierstedt didn't feel it was of dire necessity. I think it is important though for your own piece of mind.

I did have vertigo for about a year. I've had some of the strangest symptoms that may or may not have been a result of my neck injury. My ability to last for five years with my degenerative discs was the same as yours. I would have good days and feel "almost normal," but then I would do a little yard work, vacuum, or reach for something in my upper cabinets - and that would be the end of me for nearly a week. I could deal with the muscle and nerve pain throughout my extremities, but then a dull headache would turn into a monstrous migraine - my last one was so severe that my family thought I was having a stroke.

I have to laugh (sorry) about breaking dishes. I thought I was being a "clutz" but really it had to do with weakness and spasm in my hands (unbeknownst to me). I will be getting new dishes very soon - as I won't be breaking any - anymore.
C4/5 central and rightward bulging of disc and osteophyte causing mild right neural foramen stenosis narrowing and right lateral recess narrowing
C6/7 Central disc bulging and osteophyte and hypertrophy of ligamentum flavum canal stenosis and narrowing of bilateral neural foramina
Sept 9, 2013 Scheduled with Dr. Bierstedt C4/5 & C6/7 M6