ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 03-08-2016, 09:02 AM
Romakis's Avatar
Romakis Romakis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 197
Default to Kris

Do not give up. You still have a chance. Use it. Whatever happens, happens. That is what I told my family before the surgery. Don't get desperate, it will crush you. Go through the surgery, if you believe it is the only chance you got. You still have hope.
__________________
46yo, DDD of L4-S1. Microdiscectomy L5-L4 in 2014. L4-L5-S1 M6 ADR with Dr. Clavel - June 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:19 AM
krisharris2 krisharris2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Thank you. I am hoping that Dr. Clavel can help me. He received my films and reports today. I am going to the hospital this afternoon to check out if I have inflammation of the spinal cord (transverse myelitis or something like it), as it feels like it.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-15-2016, 11:21 AM
Romakis's Avatar
Romakis Romakis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 197
Default Clavel

I truly believe he can help you. My only advise - keep bugging Yolanda all the time - they get so busy sometimes it takes weeks to get an answer. Tell her you are out of time and it is a true emergency. E-mail her or call her every day. It might make her a little mad, but hopefully you will get your answers quicker. Also, try to schedule a Skype conference with Clavel. It is ~ $200, but it might make him review your files sooner.
__________________
46yo, DDD of L4-S1. Microdiscectomy L5-L4 in 2014. L4-L5-S1 M6 ADR with Dr. Clavel - June 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-16-2016, 12:16 PM
krisharris2 krisharris2 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Ok, thank you for this great advice! Do you happen to know a ballpark figure for a 2-3 level ADR surgery nowadays? Also, does insurance help pay? I can get any type when the time comes. Just trying to figure out how astronomical prices are now. I won't hold you to it. Ha
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-16-2016, 12:37 PM
Romakis's Avatar
Romakis Romakis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 197
Default Please do not hold me to it!

Exchange rate is great right now. 2 level lumbar costed me ~ 32K Euro, plus flight tickets and hotel. Third level might add ~ 8K to it.
__________________
46yo, DDD of L4-S1. Microdiscectomy L5-L4 in 2014. L4-L5-S1 M6 ADR with Dr. Clavel - June 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-16-2016, 12:40 PM
Romakis's Avatar
Romakis Romakis is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 197
Default insurance

My insurance denied everything, citing "experimental and unnecessary". Minority of people on this site got reimbursed somewhat, somehow. A lot depends on your insurance, your paperwork and your art of persuasion, notes, doctors, bunch of factors. I would plan for the worst, meaning no help from your insurance.
__________________
46yo, DDD of L4-S1. Microdiscectomy L5-L4 in 2014. L4-L5-S1 M6 ADR with Dr. Clavel - June 2015.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-18-2016, 11:30 PM
adrigail adrigail is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 107
Default

In response to the OP,

Many on here can give you far better technical advise than I, so I will strictly stay with anecdotal advice. My pin symptoms manifested starting in my feet. So logically I saw a Podiatrist. After surgery for Plantar Fascia and rounds of orthotics/injections/PT, and no relief, 5 yrs goes by and out of exasperation the Pod (who is a neighbor) says "maybe it's your back".
Needless to say, that's all he got right. In the 5 yrs, things got much worse according to my sugeon, and had we taken action sooner, I may have avoided the need for ADR and done well with less invasive techniques.
Even after the initial diagnosis and advice for ADR, I wasn't "ready". I didn't feel pain levels warranted surgical intervention. Then "it" happened. Not sure what "it" actually was, but pain thay had been 3 reaching 5 turned into burning, stabbing, shooting pain that ranged 6 to 8.
Four months of that was enough for me and I made the decision to proceed. But, that wasn't as simple as it sounds. From the time I gave my consent to actual surgery and approval of insurance was another 5 months.
Long story longer, knowing all that hindsight brings clarity to, I still dont think I would have moved any faster.
Good luck and godspeed.
__________________
Mike
49

2006-2011 Chiro, epidural steroids, nsaids, PT for L4-5 bulge/annular tear
April 25th 2012 35MPH rear end collision, blows out L4-5 and ADDS a tear in C4-5
Cancelled ADR to continue conservative therapies
April 10th 2013: Insurance re-approved and I'm scheduling lumbar ADR for end of the month!
*schedule* ADR Prodisc L April 29th 2013
5-2-2013 ADR using Prodisc L
7-10-2013 New MRI on neck. Surgeon DOES NOT recommend ADR for Cervical.

"I'll be your Huckleberry"
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-26-2016, 09:27 AM
JinSong JinSong is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 57
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romakis View Post
My insurance denied everything, citing "experimental and unnecessary". Minority of people on this site got reimbursed somewhat, somehow. A lot depends on your insurance, your paperwork and your art of persuasion, notes, doctors, bunch of factors. I would plan for the worst, meaning no help from your insurance.
That ended up being my problem for sure--I had an ACDF two weeks ago because I couldn't get my insurance to approve the ADR, and I couldn't wait any longer for the appeals process. I went through a huge mourning process over the whole thing, and I'm still struggling with the longer recovery associated with the ACDF (still in a lot of pain), but many of my neurological symptoms have resolved, and I had a good surgeon. So I guess that's the upshot: find a good surgeon, do all the research you can, and just do whatever you have to to do keep as much function as you can!
__________________
33-year-old female
C3/4 Disc bulge and bone spurs
C4/5 Disc protrusion
C5/6 Disc extrusion with cord compression, bone spurs due to uncovertebral arthropathy, right foraminal stenosis and bilateral nerve compression.
C6/7 disc protrusion

Lost appeals for ADR. C5-6 ACDF on 3/10/16
ACDF never fused, and ACDF accelerated damage of the other levels. Someone please kill me.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM
Marbakes Marbakes is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 4
Default

Demzee,
My wife and I read your initial post and thought it could be me writing it as my symptoms are very similar. I am a 48 year old male with bulging discs C3/4,
C4/5 and cord compression in C5/6 and worst in C6/7. Severe stenosis in C5/6 and C6/7. I am Canadian and ADR is not approved at the levels that I need and my neurosurgeon has recommended a 4-level fusion. I really don't want a 4-level fusion.
I have had Ritter-Lang look at my scans and he suggests a 2-level fusion at C5/6 and 6/7 and ADR for C3/4 and C4/5. Clavel in Spain suggests a 3 or 4 level ADR with the C3/4 being optional. I have since added a CT to my list of scans and it shows some ossification on C6 and C7 which may affect the decision on ADR, waiting to hear.
For now I am standing pat as my symptoms are not severe as far as pain and balance go but I know I will do something eventually...
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-16-2016, 11:11 PM
aeromarkco aeromarkco is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 20
Default Central Stenosis - Multiple levels

Deemzee and Marbakes,

I have similar symptoms stemming from an accident in my 20's. Its a very slow progression for me mostly level 2-3 neck pain and some numbness and tingling in the hands.

I'm thinking of having the surgery soon ADR if I can but so many options. 2-level ADR, 2-level ACDF, Hybrid 3 and 4 levels, and Laminoplasty.

I generally believe in Occam's Razor which would indicate 2-level surgery but I'm not sure. How are you doing and what is your thinking?
Thanks!
__________________
History of Degenerative Disk Disease:
1983 Laminectomy L3/4 & L4/5
2015 Diagnosed with Cervical Myelopathy C3-C7
C4/5 & C5/6 are worst
C4/5 & C5/6 Mobi-C Surgery 2/1/17 with Dr. Vikas Patel
Still active, working out and cycling - want to stay that way!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
cord compression, disc replacement, stenosis

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Osteophyte comlex @ C5-6 with central canal stenosis TamiJ The Big File 9 11-01-2007 01:29 PM
Central Canal/Foraminal Stenosis & Sleep biffnoble The Big File 0 03-28-2005 01:02 AM
ADR For Congenital Central Canal Stenosis? biffnoble The Big File 3 03-08-2005 03:35 PM
Symptoms: Central Canal, Cervical Spinal Stenosis. biffnoble The Big File 6 03-03-2005 07:29 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 PM.


© Copyright 2006-2023 ADRSupport.org All rights reserved.