ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 PM

I've been lurking for a few days and I figured it was time to say hi. I injured my back at work lifting a box about 6 years ago. What started out as a muscle pull has progressed into what looks like a disc replacement at L5-S1 sometime in the next few weeks. I'm 46 years old and also suffer from depression which I've been on meds for 15 years off and on. Over the years I have seen a couple of Neurosurgeons. The first one diagnosed an inflamed sacriliac and prescribed ibuprofen and pt. the second a couple years later said because I smoked and was overweight there wasn't much he could do. His bedside manner sucked. I left in tears. I learned to live with the pain which came and went. During all this time I had several injections, p.t, chiro, and acupuncture with little or no relief. About 6 months ago the pain cycle came with a vengence and just wouldn't go away. My husband and I saw something on the local news about a new procedure and with a little help from the internet we found Dr Jeffrey Kleiner. After a facet injection and a positive discogram and a ct scan Dr Kleiner says I am a good candidate for a Prodisc at L5-S1. No word from our insurance yet but we do have Aetna (thank god). I'm scared, can't sleep, can't eat but I have quit smoking and lost a few pounds. I have a GREAT husband/patient advocate. Without him I wouldn't be where I'm at.
Dee
PT, Chiro, Acupunture, traction
discogram 07-08 positive
ADR surgery to be done
09-08
L5-S1
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Hi Lurking Dee! Welcome to our community, thanks for finding us. You are among friends here, I hope we can help you. Glad you have a good hubbie!

I'm accessible by email or by phone, let me know if you need help.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 07-23-2008, 08:21 AM

Hi Dee,

Welcome to the forum! Hope you've found it helpful thusfar.

I just wanted to poke in and say that I have Aetna too and they've been really good about approvals, so I hope they are the same way for you so you can get some relief! I agree with Harrison as well, having that extra support is great! I don't know what I would have done without the support of my boyfriend and parents (and my parents live a couple hours away) as well as this forum.

Ask as many questions as you need to. The folks here are great about trying to answer them and calm fears.

~Sara

- Did mild PT, some chiropractics and self regulated pain management since initial sports injury in Spring 1997.
- XRay and Bone Scan Jan/Feb 2007
- PT March to May 2007
- MRI Jan 2008
- Disco positive at L5/S1 Feb 2008
- ADR surgery at L5/S1 on June 23rd 2008 - Prodisc
- Recovery - so far so good!

Old 07-23-2008, 10:00 AM

Welcome Dee. Good luck on your journey. I hope you get approval on your 1st submission. Take care of yourself and ask a lot of questions. You cannot be to informed on this major decision.

Diagnosed with DDD in Nov, 2007. MRI, EMG
C3/4 C4/5 C5/6 C6/7
Surgery 06.04.08--C5/6 and C6/7 with Prodisc was a success.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Welcome Dee! Family support is absolutely crucial--I'm not sure how I would have survived all of these years without my better half. We're here to help...

-Justin
Old 07-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Dee and Welcome to the Community !!

Ditto what everyone else has said, we're here to help and try and answer questions you may have or at least point you in a direction to get the information.

Sorry you have to be on a spinal board at all, but I'm glad you found us and if we can help we'll be happy to chime in

All the Best ! ! !
Severe Vitamin D Deficiency
Spinal Fusion C5-C6, C6-C7 - May 2007
Multiple epidurals, L 3/4/5 & S1
L 3,4,5 & S1 herniated/bulging disks-under control for now.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:42 PM

Welcome Dee,
I agree with all the posts and I'll add my 2 cents also. It's a good idea to get a second or even third opinion before jumping in. Make sure you are confident in your doctor and he has a lot of experience. This forum has been so helpful with every aspect of ADR surgery before and after. Thank goodness for supportive hubbies.
Phylly
Prodisc ADR surgery L4-L5-S1 November 2007
Decompression surgery L4-S1 for left sided sciatica July 2008
Continued back and leg pain, looking at possible fusion
Removal of Prodiscs and L4-S1 fusion February 2009
Old 07-25-2008, 03:08 AM

Unfortunately, you're here but welcome! I agree w/Phylly in getting other opinions and this is a great place for research. I'd ask - not to throw a monkey wrench - how newer forms of fusion compare to ADRs. If fusion's even considered, your S-1 joint needs checking out.

Thank God you have Aetna!

Be well; my best - Allan
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:01 AM

Hi Dee,
I'm new too-and our stories are simular. I'll be watching your progress and hope you can find a solution soon to your back problems. I also have Aetna and going to investigate whether I'm covered for going to Germany for the multi level. My oss is at the seminar this week for learning the insertion of ADR's so I'm looking forward to speaking with her when she returns.