ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-02-2006, 05:28 PM

I was just wondering, is there anyone on the forum that has fibro & has also gone through ADR?

It's now less than 2 weeks until my ADR & the nerves have really started to kick in!!

Cheers

Lyndsay

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
End Stage Facet Joint Arthritis
Chronic Pain
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
15 Nov 06 ~ Prodisc ADR at L5/S1
Need a revision but not a surgeon in the UK will (or can?) remove a Prodisc!!
Prodisc has ruined my life
Old 11-05-2006, 01:28 PM
Administrator

There are a few Lyndsay, but I can't say who at the moment. I think that this any condition like this presents a problem -- to both doctor and patient. How does one separate the symptoms of fibromyalgia from spinal problems? As we've seen in related posts, there can be other complicated conditions (bacterial infections, co-infections, etc.) that make the diagnosis and treatment more challenging.

But this is an aside to your big event! And you're due for ADR tomorrow! Good luck with everything!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-06-2006, 05:26 PM

Thanks Harrison My ADR though is next week, Wednesday 15th November.

Yes I am learning how challenging the fibro & back problems are but have to say that my back problems are very specific, it's when there is a difference that I have to wonder if it's something else with my back or the fibro joining in!!

When you mention fibro patients have more challenges re. infections, is this really common? Gosh I hope not

Before posting this thread I did do a search but didn't come up with much?

Thanks again

Lyndsay

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain
Old 11-07-2006, 03:31 AM

Hi Lyndsay,
Infections following spine surgery are not common, certainly where you are going there is a strict "Sterile" regime in place.

I have never heard of Fybro starting "Other " infections, I think Harrison was referring to general infections which are found in some hospitals.
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 11-07-2006, 03:44 AM

Thanks Alastair, I couldn't quite work it out! I know that London Bridge Hospital has very strict hygiene & even when I went in for the day for my discogram, I was swabbed for MRSA. I have no doubt they'll swab again next week as well

As yet I've not heard from anyone who has fibro & has undergone either ADR or any other spinal surgery. I have found an article on www.myalgia.com that has a set of guidelines for fibro patients undergoing elective surgery which I will forward & hopefully I won't flare after surgery.

Well must go, have a very sad dog problem to sort out today.

Lyndsay

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain
Old 11-07-2006, 12:43 PM
Administrator

There’s a lot here between the lines. I’ll elaborate here a bit on both pre- and post-operative situations.

In the sometimes complicated (and often protracted) diagnostic phase, both the patient & the doctor (try to) untangle and dissect the symptoms associated with the spinal problem. My point was that sometimes (the minority of patient population) a patient may have a condition, which has symptoms that “overlap” or even cause the “spinal pain.” Fibromyalgia, Lyme, CIPD, Rheumatoid arthritis are just a few of these chronic problems. So it may complicate the classic question, “What is the pain generator?!”

In the past several years, there’s been interesting relevations about the causal factors behind these inflammatory conditions; some are caused by cell-wall deficient (or myco) bacteria. Many of these chronic issues are referred to as “autoimmune” conditions; e.g. see Wikipedia's list of autoimmune diseases.

I think the intro paragraph of the Wiki article is out of date; as there are already proven antibiotic (minocycline) solutions for conditions like sarcoidosis – even RA! Any way, the point is that many of these chronic, mysterious diseases are interfering with the diagnosis. As we’ve seen, they can even confuse the patient during recovery – because of infection resurgence.

So far, I've been referring to pre-surgical issues. Now let's talk about post-op infections (of sorts). When I was recovering, I was “gifted” by a staph infection. Luckily, it was epidermal and went away after 10 days. Perhaps coincidentally, I also contracted mycoplasmic pneumonia, shortly thereafter. Since then, I’ve talked to other patients (domestic & international) that have contracted everything from MRSA to flesh-eating bacteria! These exeriences in part explain the peculiar bug sensitivities I have for all patients. There is so much to know, the only thing I can do is try to publish what is relevant. Like many medical issues, it’s all very complicated.

Bottom line: when you talk to your doctor, it wouldn’t hurt to inquire about infection disease control at the hospital. From what I hear about the UK hospitals (MRSA!), it’s a must! Look here for our previous discussion on MRSA.

Lyndsay, thanks for passing along the info you find.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 11-07-2006, 06:11 PM

Lindsay
How long did it take you to be "diagnosed" with Fibromyalgia? and what tests did you have done?i've been having all sorts of tests done lately by my pain management doc, and trigger point injections. (very painful!). my liver saliva and urine tests showed a barely functioning liver and my hormone saliva profile was all over the place, most noticably, my cortisol (stress) hormone was extremely high at night when it should be low.
Im starting a liver detox this weekend and eliminating dairy the week after that.
So far, it's pointing to Fibro,as the slightest touch almost anywhere on my body is painful.
Anyway, good luck with your upcoming surgery, hope it all goes well.
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 11-09-2006, 07:43 AM

Hi Harrison

I'm sorry for the infection problems that you suffered with, I can't begin to imagine how it was. If you click here you can read about the MRSA control at the hospital I am staying in.

I appreciate what you say about overlap pain but trust me when I say my back pain is very specific, it is only when there is something new or different that crops up that it has to be questioned about whether it's from my back or the fibro. I also know from the positive discogram that the disc is at least one of the pain generators.

Cathy ~ took a long time to get fibro diagnosis. Firstly I was diagnosed as having benign relapse remitting MS 3 years ago but the Neuro thought I had some CFS &/or Fibro. Finally this year I saw a Rheumatologist, after taking a full life medical history then examining me including the tender point test. I was diagnosed with Fibro after this & scored 100% on the 18 tender points.

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain