ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:08 PM

hello everyone, I'm new here and thought I'd say hello and introduce myself. I'm 20 years old and live in Scotland. I have been suffering with constant back pain since April time, although I have experienced low back pain in the past. I have found the NHS to be generally unhelpful with my problems. I have been given numerous painkillers which do nothing for me, and I have had 1 appointment with a physio. I was advised to try and exercise more and was given some specific exercises to do to improve the strength in my back. I normally end up in more pain than I was in! I am unsure what to do now about solving my problems and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Smiler
Old 12-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Welcome, Smiler! Glad you found us.

First things first. There are a zillion things (almost!) that can cause back pain. Here’s a nice overview article on things to consider as you approach a diagnosis: http://www.spine-health.com/topics/cd/hurt/h01.html

You are considered young among most of your peers here, so I am curious, what brought on the pain? Is your pain diffuse, or distributed throughout your entire back? Any other unusual sensations? Did have any accidents? What kind of doctors have you visited?

One causal factor that is often overlooked is pathogen-based inflammatory conditions. Examples of this include fibromyalgia, Lyme et al, caused by mycobacteria. Some people in this community have these conditions. But you don’t see much about this complex issue, even on prominent sites – but I predict you will see more in the coming years as people “connect the dots.” (These conditions also can complicate bone growth, I'll address this soon in another post.)

I look forward to learning more, I hope we can provide the support you need. If nothing else, framing the questions for your medical providers may help...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-28-2006, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I have understand that there are many causes of back pain and that its difficult to find the cause of the problem, why can't things be more simple?!

The cause of my pain to me is a mystery. I haven't been in any accidents or injured myself to my knowledge. The pain is mainly in my lower back, however it sometimes spreads down my legs. My arms are legs sometime feel quite heavy to move. I also get pain quite high up in my back. I also have pain in my joints in my hands, which I'm not sure if it is related to the back pain or not.

I have only seen my GP and a physio who is based at the health centre which I attend. I have another physio appointment in the new year, but I'm not sure what my next step is with the NHS. I assume treatment for back pain is basically trial and error until something works? I thought that I would have been sent for some sort of scan/test as surely that would help try and find a sucessful treatment?

Smiler
Old 12-28-2006, 06:21 PM

There are some basic tests such as evaluation of your pain centers and what provokes them, but the overriding test once back pain is picked up is a simple xray, flat view at the least but flexion and extension views greatly help. With the xray in hand, your radiologist can tell if you if your pain is coming from something that's advanced far enough to be visible on xray and therefore needs to be dealt with soon (surgically or not). A clean xray isn't a complete clean bill of health but it is a rather simple step in the right direction.

It's an unfortunate reality that treatment of back pain is two trial and error efforts in sequence. The first is finding a doctor or the right doctor who will take your pain seriously and work with you to resolve it and the second is determining the actual source of your pain and what can be done to help.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 12-29-2006, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Smiler,

I’m sorry your situation is not easily diagnosed and resolved. The sad truth is your treatment falls on your GP’s shoulders. He/she should be asking you many, many questions about your condition, but that goes both ways! If he/she does not have the skills to screen & test you for systemic infections, perhaps they can refer you to a hematologist, epidemiologist or a rheumatologist.

As a layperson, and on nothing more than a hunch, I suggest you read up on systemic infections that may be creating an inflammatory condition. Unfortunately, these are complicated conditions and are difficult to diagnose and treat.

Here are a few relevant discussions that you may find useful:

Fibromyalgia & ADR
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7701036081/m/6...761032612#5761032612

Extreme fatigue. Please help
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7701036081/m/9...821003012#5821003012

Lyme Disease and Discogenic Pain
http://adrsupport.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7701036081/m/8...151045102#8151045102

By the way, I am happy to help anyone like you avoid surgery, as it is a big commitment and not right for everyone. Good luck with your research, please keep us posted on your challenging journey.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I will take a look at the links you provided and research my symptoms, if anything it will give my docs something to think about at my next appointment!
Old 12-29-2006, 12:00 PM

Hi Smiler & welcome to the forum

I too am in the UK so can fully understand your frustration at the NHS Having been where you are regards your pain (many years ago) the advice I would offer you is to make a full list of your symptoms, every ache & pain, keep a diary to see if there is a pattern or if it waxes & wanes for no reason. Like Harrison say's, it sounds like it could be more likely something like Fibromyalgia or another immune problem.

The next step is to speak to your GP about the possibility of one of these syndromes & request a referral to a Rheumatologist plus full blood tests. If you have already had the blood tests or you now go for them, don't be put off by negative results as they use them to rule out other problems.

I will PM you some links to look at.

Once again, welcome aboard Feel free to ask any questions

All the best

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
End Stage Facet Joint Arthritis
Chronic Pain
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
15 Nov 06 ~ Prodisc ADR at L5/S1
Need a revision but not a surgeon in the UK will (or can?) remove a Prodisc!!
Prodisc has ruined my life