ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 09-10-2006, 02:38 AM

Not been on here for a bit but thought I'd give you an update.

I saw Mr Lam last Monday (4 Sept), what a lovely Dr The suprise is seeing what my old Consultant missed ~ a torn disc at L5!! Anyway, it needs to come out & Mr Lam recommends ADR first but until he gets in, can't be 100% sure that he won't have to do a fusion, depends on the state of things once inside.

I'm going for an up-to-date MRI & xrays this week then back to London for the Discogram on 4th October. Depending on how things go, will probably schedule the surgery for early November.

I'm really not looking forward to the Discogram & could have had it done sooner but as I've opted for sedation, it was getting a slot when the anaethetist was available ~ plus being sure my hubby could get time off work.

I'm also off to see a Rheumatologist in 2 weeks to see about the arthritis & also for a possible dx for Fybromyalgia.

I'll update again when I have any news.

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
End Stage Facet Joint Arthritis
Chronic Pain
Fibromyalgia & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
15 Nov 06 ~ Prodisc ADR at L5/S1
Need a revision but not a surgeon in the UK will (or can?) remove a Prodisc!!
Prodisc has ruined my life
Old 09-10-2006, 11:28 AM

Good Luck with all you have done, and all you do Lyndsey Mr Lam is a great surgeon
Best
Alastair
http://www.adrsupport.org/alastair.html
Thank goodness for Dr Zeegers I am painfree
I am here to help,I live in the UK

I now run the UK spine site and can be contacted at

www.adrsupportuk.com/
Old 09-17-2006, 03:26 PM

Having a nervous wobble at the moment Any words of wisdom & how others have got through the nervous stage, if at all, will be gratefully received

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain
Old 09-17-2006, 03:56 PM

Having just had semi-emergency surgery to correct damage done to my knee, I'll pass along a comment I received. I was VERY nervous as the damage done to my knee was more significant than any I'd dealt with before and from the trauma on Sunday to the surgery on Thursday wasn't enough time for me to adjust and calm down. I went into the surgical prep an absolute bundle of nerves and couldn't even pace to calm down as I couldn't walk with the damaged knee. I told the prep nurse that I was nervous and his reply was classic; "I think there'd be something wrong with you if you weren't nervous."

There are many answers as to how to overcome the nervousness. Faith works for some (Laura and I), recognizing that you have little to lose as things aren't getting better on their own works for others (Laura and I here too). I can't offer a complete answer other than to say that everyone's gone through it and we're all willing to talk through it with you if you post concerns.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 09-18-2006, 02:19 AM

Speaking for myself, I postponed my surgery for 3 months due to my depression and anxiety. I knew I couldn't cope with it at that time, but when I rescheduled I was so fed up with the pain and disability that I actually couldn't wait! I surprised myself with how calm I was leading up to the op and aferwards.
I did Tai Chi, meditation and lots of soul searching to get me through and stay calm and focused. And concentrate on how good (hopefully) it'll be when it's all done.
Cathy
Maverick L4/5 Fusion L3/4
July 3 2006

Dynesys Stabilisation L4/5
Lt & Rt Facet Removal +Non-Bone Fusion L5/S1
May 26 2008
Old 10-05-2006, 04:00 PM

Hi, thought I'd give you an update

Well I saw the Rheumatologist & have been diagnosed with Fibro but also Bursitis in my hips & a suspected damaged Median nerve in my right arm caused by too many falls! Now waiting on results of blood tests before going back for what I don't yet know!

I was back down to London yesterday for my Discogram with Mr Lam ~ I have to say, thanks to the sdeation, I remember very little I remember transferring over to the OR bed & feeling a cold wash on my back, next the most excrutiating pressure & pain in my back (think I may have yelled out!) then nothing till I came round in the recovery room!

The staff at the hospital were absolutely wonderful & a real breath of fresh air I've not got any results yet as Mr Lam was held up in surgery & I understand was having a nightmare day!

I've got a provisional surgery date for the middle of November but am waiting for Mr Lam to phone me with results etc before it's confirmed.

I have to say I feel pretty bad today, have been finding it very difficult to get comfortable & have had a lot of pain, I guess it's just my back objecting?

I hope everyone else is ticking along ok

All the best

37 years old
DDD
L4/L5 - L5/S1 DDD
L5/S1 Annular Tear
Chronic Pain