ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Default Need some encouragement please!

I have a question about family support. Has anyone gone outside the country to get the surgery and not had the support of their family? I am getting so much resistance that it makes this decision more stressful. They are telling me to wait, or push for the hybrid. Just met with my PT for pain management help and she can't believe their isn't more concern from the US doctor I've been seeing. She said from the first time she saw me in January that I need to have something done. I have muscle atrophy from my shoulders to my hands. It is so bad that I am unable to use my arms hardly at all.

They are also saying that they don't think I should go alone. But I have small children and feel my husband should stay home. I suggested that if it was too difficult to get home afterwords, he can fly out to come help.

Just got the denial letter from Anthem for Hybrid, so not sure how long that is going to take. And the doctor here only wants to do two level, where Dr. B in Germany (and two other US doctors) have thought I should do all three.
I'm sooo over this. My surgery date is in two weeks. I feel even that is too long. Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2013, 05:05 PM

I can't answer the emotional stress of getting surgery on your own. Laura and I have always been able to be there at least support each other emotionally. Only you know what you'll want but you can use things like Skype to keep in touch and talk so you don't feel like you're alone in it.

If you plan well, getting home is easier than you'd think. Pack light. Plan on buying a few outfits from Goodwill that can be left behind in Germany. Think hard about everything you pack to decide if it needs to go to Germany and if it's something you can leave behind in Germany to drop your load on the way home. You can get help from a driver to get you back to the airport on your way home and let your airline know that you'll need help with luggage and/or a wheelchair. Don't be afraid to ship stuff home if you have to, but the postage will be expensive. Most upscale hotels will help you ship if you have to.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 06-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Thanks annapurna. Those are good suggestions and I will add them to my list of thing to do before I leave. I am not worried about the travel myself. I've been to Germany several times and lived south of Munich for a summer after college. I'm conversant in German as well. The surgery is what is scary and how it will go, but I am willing to make that journey.

Thanks,
Denise (Calvin was my dog's name)