ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:34 PM

Smile Oh boy, it's really gonna happen!

If this was paper it would be wet from tears. I got the OK from Dr Clavel this morning, he has accepted me as a patient, after so many years of pain and treatments to sort the symptoms, not the cause, it is such a relief to know I may finally be out of pain. I really was unsure whether he would consider me because I am 60 years old in June but it doesn't appear to be a problem yeeeaaaahhh!

Now to sort the details, LUD I know you (and others) stayed in apartments in Barcelona instead of the hotel they put you up in, how did you resolve that financially? Did they reduce the price by the cost of a weeks hotel stay, did they pay for one week in the apt?

As I am a celiac staying in an apt where I can fix my own food is imperative but I don't want to pay (via the bill sent by Dr C) for a hotel room as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2008 MRI L4/5 annular tear
2009 MRI L3/4 extruded fragment/bulge/fibrosis/tear Laminectomy L3/4
2010 MRI L3/4 protrusion/extruded L4/5 bulge/protrusion
2011 MRI L3/4 bulge/annular fissure L4/5 bulge/annular fissure L5/S1 bulge
2012 MRI L3/4 protrusion L4/5 bulge Nerve Block L3/4/5
6/5/13 L3/L4/L5/S1 Dr Clavel NO MORE BACK PAIN
Old 04-22-2013, 04:56 PM

Default Congratulations!

HI,

I stayed with my family in an apartment in the El Born district, just around the corner from the church Maria del Mar. I made sure it had an elevator and a washer/dryer. If you don't speak spanish, bring your own entertainment as the tv is all spanish and the dvd's wont play US DVDs.

As far as pricing, I had him price it without the hotel. I also took a temperpedic style overlay and was soooo glad I did! The beds are hard as rocks! Worked like a charm. I just packed it in a suitcase.

The area I stayed is considered the tourist area. We liked that as there were many interesting things within easy walking district, the sea, restaraunts & bakeries. Not everyone's taste, I know LUD stayed in a residential area and was very happy with her choice as well.

We did have Yolanda arrange airport transfer, we needed a van as 2 in our party of 4 were 6'6" and 6'3" plus all our luggage. Last time I went to Europe we were picked up in a car that my poor hubby had to hang his head out the window.

May I recommend my preop meal of Paella with Sangria looking over the Mediteranean Sea? Perfect! Best wishes, Dr. Clavel did a 3 level lumbar L2-L5 with M6 March 14/2012. Say hello for me

Laurie
2009-facet inj, radiograph ablation, SI joint injections, cryoablation stubborn no relief
2010-retired d/t pain. more injections
2011-IDET of L3-L5. Pain unchanged, up 50 lbs!
2011-Lumbar ADR recommended by Ortho and 2 neuros. In appeals w/ins. May choose Europe for M6
Need to lose lbs
Old 04-22-2013, 07:56 PM

Default Thanx Laurie

I'm English by birth and have been in the US for 13 years (citizen in 2009) so I know Spanish beds well LOL I holidayed there a lot as the Brits do.

I looked into the url that LUD gave but can you tell me how you found your apartment and what you paid roughly? I like the idea of being in the tourist area but I'm not really fussy. The main thing is we both HAVE to work, we run our own business so no work no pay ;o(

All we need is internet access in the apartment, did you have that and if so how good was it? I know speed can be diabolical in rented apartments so that is a real worry. Yeah I know you'd think the op would be more of a worry but after 4 of them it's a been there done that.

I also notice the the El Born district is about 45 minutes away by public transport, did you find that a problem?
Old 04-22-2013, 08:10 PM

Congratulations!!

You will find everyone very kind & accommodating, we fell in love with Barcelona, and the people. We stayed at the AKO Suites and for simplicity and ease we let Yolanda book it for us, thinking it would be easier on the driver and for the physical therapist since they were familiar with the location.

Again, congratulations - Dr. C is the BEST!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonjaB View Post
If this was paper it would be wet from tears. I got the OK from Dr Clavel this morning, he has accepted me as a patient, after so many years of pain and treatments to sort the symptoms, not the cause, it is such a relief to know I may finally be out of pain. I really was unsure whether he would consider me because I am 60 years old in June but it doesn't appear to be a problem yeeeaaaahhh!

Now to sort the details, LUD I know you (and others) stayed in apartments in Barcelona instead of the hotel they put you up in, how did you resolve that financially? Did they reduce the price by the cost of a weeks hotel stay, did they pay for one week in the apt?

As I am a celiac staying in an apt where I can fix my own food is imperative but I don't want to pay (via the bill sent by Dr C) for a hotel room as well.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
2 level M6 ADR, Dr. Clavel - Oct. 2012
Insurance paid
Not a day goes by that without me whispering a silent "thank you" to Dr. Clavel
Post Op 2+ years
Cross Fit 3-5 times a week
Running 5ks
Old 04-22-2013, 08:49 PM

Glad to hear of your upcoming journey to other side!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 05-09-2013, 08:45 PM

OK we have a date: June 5th!!! We fly out June 2nd and arrive the 3rd, pre-op the 4th, under the knife the 5th.

Definitely L3 to L5, possibly L5/S1, we need to talk about that when we get there.

Rented a nice apartment (I hope) with a lift and ADSL/Internet so hubby can work, it is a top floor and has a huge patio at the back of the apt so hopefully nice and quiet. Well as quiet as you can be in the middle of a big city. I think it's the Garcia district but google maps doesn't seem too helpful when it comes to districts.

It's taking forever to get everything ready, that's because we have 2 businesses one of which is a rental company so making sure the houses are covered when we are the ones who do all the management is a challenge. At least the web marketing company is just that, on the web ;-)

We are staying a total of 3 1/2 weeks, being a 'bit' older I figured it might take me that much longer to get back on my feet. We also have friends who live on the coast about 4 hours north who will come down to visit of a few days the last week, that will be fun.

Will post more when or if I have more news. Otherwise will start a new post on the 'had the op' thread.

Thanks for all your replies and help everyone. I wouldn't be here without you all.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:21 AM

Congratulations Sonja! I know you're going to do great. Since you'll be there so long, if you have the average recovery you should be able to see at least parts of the city. You are the oldest lumbar ADR recipient I recall seeing on this page; so I'll be very interested in what you share about your recovery.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011
Old 05-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Default Travel Insurance for Barcelona?

Well its 23 days till we leave and I think by back is rebelling because 2 weeks ago another piece of a disk broke off . I didn’t want to go to ER coz that would have meant a report to my surgeon who wants to do fusion and….

Anyway, the pain scale obviously went up 10x and I have been managing with Lortab but realized I was not going to make it on the plane or packing or anything without more ‘stuff’. The beginning of this week my Doc prescribed a Fentanyl patch which I will stick on tonight. It’s a Friday so if I am spaced out over the weekend, even for mother’s day, it won’t be the end of the world but as I have to work and I am the one sorting all these travel details I have to have some semblance of brain activity during work days. (like I did have to start with haha)

At least using it over the weekend will let me know how I cope with it. He has also give me suck on nausea pills which I hope will help, they are for those going through chemo and that makes you pretty sick so I have my fingers crossed they work.

One question I do have for those of you who have ‘been there’ did you buy travel insurance and how did you get past the fact that you were going there for surgery? A lot of travel insurance companies nix you as soon as you fill out the part that says ‘reason for travel’.

Not to be morbid or anything but I am a detail person and one detail that crosses my mind is what happens if I die (I am prone to walking in front of buses and walls jump out and attack me for no reason) getting an evac can really cost. Any ideas?
Old 05-13-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jss View Post
You are the oldest lumbar ADR recipient I recall seeing on this page; so I'll be very interested in what you share about your recovery.

Good luck, Jeff
Thanx Jeff, I'm not only the oldest but the prettiest and the sassiest....... or is that most self delusional and cantankerous ? (Unfortunately me thinks its the latter

Only 20 days till we leave now , the body is ready even if the packing isn't !
Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 PM

Oh my..... I'm beginning to wonder if I'm gonna make it, the pain today is sooooo bad. I've checked my patch an it seems to be OK, I've taken a 7.5 lortab and it hurts so bad I really really really want to go to ER or urgent care and get a morphine shot but I fear they will look at the meds I've taken this am and say no. Then all I've done is cause more pain from being in the car and more costs.

I have a $7000 deductible and then 20% after that, it's only May and I've spent $3500 already (not taking into account the $40000+ upcoming surgery, flights, apt in Barcelona) so I don't want to go to see the dr or hospital unless I know the outcome and the money will be worth it.

Sorry, I know I'm just being a moany old sod but it helps to get it out. Thank goodness for my hubby. If I had to go through this alone I think I would have done myself in a long time ago.

I think pain is one of the most demoralizing things ever and the worst part is no one can see your pain, you can grimace and moan all you want but all you do is worry those around you and the docs just think youre an addict and putting it on to get more 'stuff'.

6 days till we fly out, I was just thinking I hope I can make it but I don't exactly have a choice I certainly can't keep going like this.