ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 PM

Best wishes,
I have a hard time saying good luck to patients of Dr. Biestedt because I believe the doctor does things so meticulously that luck is not a factor.
Make sure you check out all the great breakfast buffets the hotels have.
Again best wishes.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:27 PM

You are in good hands. I keep you in my thoughts. If you have any questions while you are there that you think I could help with feel free to contact me.
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 11-11-2013, 12:04 AM

Hang in there Dave. We're all pulling for you. Just remember you have good support and are in good hands.
C4/5: moderate left neural foramina narrowing
C5/6 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C6/7 moderate canal stenosis and severe bilateral neural foramina narrowing
C7/T1: Unremarkable
Old 11-11-2013, 01:22 AM

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. Had a bit of trouble sleeping last night. Tried some better living thru chemistry (Jet lag meet Ambien), which helped. I'll plan on posting more after I get settled in at the hospital.

It all feels a bit surreal. Makes you really appreciate how brave others who have gone down this path have been. All the stories and shared experiences in this community really do help take some of the mystery out of it and prepare you better for forging ahead with surgery in a foreign country. Not to mention all the folks who were willing to speak with me over the past few months, many of whom are on this site. I plan on posting throughout this process so others can benefit as much from this great resource as I have.
July 2012: discogram reveals L4/5 and L3/4 have grade 3 annular tears and produced concordant pain
Nov 12, 2013: 2-level ADR (L3/4 and 4/5) by Dr. Bierstedt
Old 11-11-2013, 03:00 AM

Default Day 4 Post Op

Hi Dave
Welcome to Germany! Thinking of you as you come up to the starting gate.

Had a bit of a pain filled night, and surrendered to a few extra doses of Ibuprofen which sorted it out enough to get some good rest. They give you your 'normal' pain medication (taken at 3 meals), and then you can ask for extra Dave and I think its well worth doing that - mostly so you can get good sleep (heals the body more than anything). For me I havent had to take sleeping pills yet, as long as I can control the pain.

Its now 4 days post OP, and I had a chat to the nurse about how the night pain is worse now than the first days. Its tricky because in between you might actually feel great! She said that an increase in the shoulder pain post OP at about 3-4th day was very normal I found that the Ibuprofen alone (600mg) was quite all that was needed. My aim is to keep it simple if possible. She gave me something else in a little cup earlier and it only lasted a few hours - but the Ibuprofen got me through from 10.30pm till 4.30am. Its quite tricky because you may really feel great in between. As mentioned yesterday I have an issue with breathlessness. The doctor this morning is going to give me one of those breath trainers. I did do some googling on this, and it seems it can be a post op problem for some. If the training does not help he will send me somewhere to check this. Stuff like this makes you really get the point about how important the week in hospital is. So much trauma (not just from the site surgery) but from the trauma of 'surgery' itself with pipes and things going where they havent gone before!

I note also that it is now Monday, and I am really hoping that we get some more of that lovely physio massage. I have only had one so far (Friday), and a great big hot wrap around the shoulders.

Dave if you can get your partner to see where the pressure points are in the shoulders (you will feel it when you are on it) this is a huge help in post surgery days. I can reach some of them myself at a pinch - and it does help more than anything to press on these for a while.

Dont forget if you like fresh air, they can open the window in a way from the top so it does not let the rain in. This is vital for me, especially with the breathing thing. I rather have the fresh air and put an extra jumper on. Much healthier too.

Yesterday a remarkable act of kindness was bestowed upon me by one of the senior nurses. She brought in for me a whole heap of fruit, plain yoghurt and little healthy Gluten Free nibbles. This has saved my sanity.. Faith in human nature is reaffirmed by these sorts of gestures. A gift she said! And I felt so much happier. The cheese and stale bread (with a gerkin at night) meals twice a day are bordering on insane. Thanks to the gracioiusness of staff helping me to source a bit of fruit, I have not had trouble with bowels.

I just don't feel quite right about the walk to the shops on my own. When I went outside the other day my airways felt too raw and vulnerable, and its too dodgy without someone to help if it gets too hard (especially with breathing issues). If you do go out, cover your mouth with a scarf I think.

Ok back to watching the 50th episode of Rich Man Poor Man again...
C5/6 - disc markedly degenerate w very prominent left paracentral/foraminal component, producing mod-to-high grade stenosis right C6nerve root exit foramen + early facet joint degen. Some deformity & indentation on cord.
C6/7 advanced disc osteophyic complex, effaces anterior CSF space and posteriorly displaces the cord. Mod-to-high grade stenosis of both C7 nerve root exit foramina. Facet joints - minor degeneration.
2 LEVEL ADR Surgery performed by Dr. Bierdstedt - NOV 7th 2013
Old 11-15-2013, 04:22 AM

Hi Heidi - I hope you are feeling great! Thanks for your kind words of encouragement and advice. Apologies for not getting back sooner, but the past few days have been a blur. It looks like I will be on track to got to Medicos this Monday. Will you still be there, or is that the day you fly home?

Best,
Dave
July 2012: discogram reveals L4/5 and L3/4 have grade 3 annular tears and produced concordant pain
Old 11-25-2013, 01:38 PM

I am sending positive vibes for surgery.

When you have time and are feeling better, I would really appreciate your thoughts on the disc restorative solution by Dr. Derby. I have inquired with his office and I am unsure if it is really worth my travel and time. I already had a stem cell injection that was unsuccessful and was warned by Dr. Eek (co-worker of Derby) to not have it done. I did it anyway.
*After extensive testing, prolo therapy, and a stem cell injection into my disc it was determined I have severe DDD at L5-S1
*small annular tear L5-S1
*small central herniation L5-S1
*Been approved for ADR by 4-5 surgeons, one recommended fusion but ???????
Old 11-25-2013, 04:01 PM

Thanks, jevenson. I saw both Dr. Derby and Dr. Eek several times for consultations and treatments. I'd be happy to talk with you -- can you pm me your phone # and I'll try to get in touch with you later this week after I get back to the US?
Old 11-29-2013, 12:51 PM

Hi Dave my name is Henry and I received Dr Bierstedt's intervention plan today. I should not be shocked but it is a 3 level ADR L3-S1. I have not signed off yet, not even sure if I can borrow enough to cover costs. While I am hopelessly depressed about my condition, I was still overwhelmed when I saw that it was for 3 levels. I have mild or minimum facet arthropathy at L3/4 & L5/S1 and just plain 'facet arthropathy' at L4/5. I had a huge ruptured disk at L4/L5 in 2001 and it was repaired with laminectomy. I have read on this site that patients with prior laminectomies often don't fare as well and it scares the hell out of me.
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision
Old 11-30-2013, 06:08 PM

Hi Henry - if you haven't already, I'd set up a time to speak with Dr. Bierstedt about the diagnosis and treatment plan. During your call, you can ask him how come he recommends 3 levels, as well as how your prior laminectomies will affect your outcome. I'd also discuss with him the facet arthritis you mentioned. My consult with Dr. B went well -- he answered all of my questions and made me feel that I'd be in good hands if I went with him.

The other thing you may want to do if you haven't already is get a discogram. Discograms are controversial and are said to have a relatively high incidence of false positives... On the other hand, 3 levels is a lot and you want as much confidence as you can get that all 3 levels are pain generators before moving forward.