ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 03-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Thanks. Its just that I'm in discussions with him also and wanted to compare notes and you're right. He mentioned to me about M6 at the L5/S1 because its easier to get in(and taken out) as it has no major vessels and he prefers the Activ L on the L4/L5 because he can go in laterally avoiding those vessels(and also remove it if need be with better tech in 10 year or more if need be). Probably a safer approach, both in and out.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.
Old 03-06-2014, 06:55 PM

Henry I am glad you made a decision you feel comfortable with. JSS stated many of thought so well I will just 2nd what he added. I understand the thoughts of both relief and questioning once you made your decision. It is normal, you got to the place you are with a lot of research and an innate ability to know what you think is best for you. Even though we are the doctors we still still know the most about our own bodies. Good luck!!
*12/28/11 ESI L L4/L5 - 1/13/12 ESI R L4/L5 - 1/24/12 L SI joint capsule - 3/8/12 TPI - 3/23/12 L L5/S1 - 4/11/12 ESI caudal - 5/23/12 TPI - 7/10/12 Facet inj L3/L4, L4/L5, L5/S1
*9/12/12: 30 - DRX9000
*12/21/12 schedule. for L4/L5 fusion-CANCELLED 1/7/13
*7/16/2013: 3 level M6(S1-L3) w/ Dr. Bierstedt
Old 03-07-2014, 11:09 AM

Cool

Henry,

Take a deep breath and calm your mind as best you can. You have made a very self educated decision to get better and it will take time. It took many years of agony to get where you are now so try to give yourself the time feel better. It is going to take time to feel great. Seek comfort in your choice as well. Docs Here wanted to do L5-S1 on me and Poo Pooed L3-4. The wind up was Clavel did L3-5 and left L5-S1 alone due to it being almost fused already and guess what there is no pain anymore. I get the conflicting opinion stuff and am glad Zeeger's is addressing the Coccyx.

For me I am so very thankful that I made the choices I did. 9 weeks out from double lumbar L3-5 and 7 months out from double Cervical. I would do both all again in a heartbeat! I won't say I was not nervous the first one. The Lumbar I really had no reservations at all. What I am trying to say is the unknown is what plays with your head. Believe it, work at it and let your mind at ease and you will see it. Staying positive is hard but do your best.....

You WILL do well and feel alot better! Let that part of your life (or lack of ) go. Go into the surgery with the clearest mind possible and try to quell the feelings of fear angst and I will 3RD Jeffs post.

Hang in there brother and we will be praying for you!

Frank

PS edited. Dont be surprised or hesitant if he wants to fuse L5-S1 They (the Euros) have been looking at this much closer depending on sacral slope. Not trying to give you doubt but be prepared and maybe ask.
Cervical herniation symptoms 2011
C5-7 M6C by Dr Clavel on June 5 2013
L3-5 M6L by Dr. Clavel on 12.18.13
Living life instead of living the condition
Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 PM

thanks Frank & Todd
I just typed in a long response only to loose it when I went submit it, that pisses me off, it's happened to me before.

I'll make this one short. Frank I am aware of a fusion possibility, but in my case it's more likely to be at L4-5. So, what about L3-4 if that occurs?
It will all be ironed out on Apr 15th when I have several more tests done there. I should post a pic of a mri slice that shows just how meesed up my L4-5 is.
Un-diagnosed til 09. (Cannot sit)
Low back pain mild until 2011 - pull started a generator from knees.
rhizotomy Nov 2011 - zilch
Facet joint inj. 18 mo. (no impact)
Can only stand/walk for approx. 30 min
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision
Old 03-07-2014, 02:56 PM

Henry,

Im glad to hear you have confidence in your surgeon and an open mind. All or most of these guys want to do right by us. I think moreso than here (unfortunately) due to us paying out of pocket. Think if I listened to the Ortho here as in my post. He would have done a MLD on L5S1 as well with L45 so I would still be in agony after all that wit 3-4 annular tear which by the way wound up being worse than L45 and actually torn almost 75% around.

I doubt L4-5 would be fused on you. Like you said you are getting more testing done to finalize the plan. Dont rack your brain, it will all turn out well with a good plan of attack that you are already on.

Continue to have Faith Henry and try to look forward to better minutes, hours and days to come. They will become weeks and so on before you know it. They are all blessings when you are in constant pain.
Don't forget massage therapy (gentle) when you return. It really really helps since everything is angry and a good one will pull all the bad energy out of you.
Frank
Old 03-07-2014, 03:58 PM

I am relaxed in the sense that I trust Dr Zeegers to do what is necessary. I wish I was where you post-op guys are but I know to get better I must push through the recovery period - I pray that it's not too long.
Anything I could be doing now that might be beneficial post-op (like stretches etc). I can do almost anything I want in the pool and I still go 2-3 times a week. BTW, once I can go back into the water I plan on utilizing the pool during my rehab. Hopefully someone can give me some rehab routines I can do in the water.
I know everyone's pain is different and impossible to compare but do you think my post-op distraction pain will more or less tolerable than my current pain level?
21 hrs/day in bed
L3-5 Activ-Ls (April 2014) Dr Zeegers - walk every day, swim 3 x week. Pain free, no pain meds. Extremely pleased with my decision
Old 03-07-2014, 08:52 PM

Cool

Henry,

Anything you can do to strengthen yourself prior to will be significant. I tell you this from my experiance with both surgeries that working out through the pain will pay off in spaids afterwards. Push yourself as best you can and you won't regret it. What's the worst that can happen more pain??? You can push thorugh and you will!!

Post will be long and get your head wrapped around it now but let it go as in like free falling while skydyiving. You will get through to the other side and fell wonderful. Don't set yourself up for failure with too much expectation on time frames. It will play with your head as you ride the seesaw. Don't fret as it takes time as I found out and am finding out with the lumbar now. It took you many years to get here any give yourself the time it takes to return to the new normal. It cannot be understated enough with the ups and downs so just prepare yourself and you will be ahead of the game.

I feel fantastic today buyt tomorrow maybe not so much.
Trust me!! You will be OK if you can just relax your mind and take what comes.

Be peaceful my friend and i wish you clarity of mind.. It is really imoportant that you do so. You decided, action plan, and follow through. Easy peasy!! NOT

Having a vodka tonic now since its been three months!!

Frank
Old 03-29-2014, 01:39 PM

Default 2 weeks before I leave

I've only had one episode of real trepidation since I started thread. I stay busy with my software app (writing code) and have done a pretty good job of blocking it out of my mind.

This is it - it will happen - I have positive attitude

btw, believe it or not Zeegers now believes my L5-S1 is not problematic and the most likely surgery I will get is a hybrid. fusion at L4-5 and activL at L3-4 at 1st I was upset, but it is what it is and it's now in God's hands
21 hrs/day in bed
Old 04-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Default A song that lifts me (when in doubt)

I know there are a wide variety of people on this site (spiritually speaking). Most of you who know me, know I am a Christian and this song by Jeremy Riddle has lifted my spirit and strengthened me in my darkest times during the last 3 years. I empathize with anyone whose in this fight alone. I would not have made it this far without the incredible support I get from my wife and ultimately the unwavering presence of God in my life, manifested best by this song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9T1IrNmx7E
21 hrs/day in bed
Old 04-01-2014, 09:39 PM

It's going to be okay br'er Henry. Of anyone here I am most excited about you. Continue to trust in The Lord and allow His power to overwhelm you.

Can't wait to see you walk again the way God intended.

Chronic back pain started in 2010 while shrugging weights that a 40 yr. old shouldn't even try.

MRI in 2012 showing L4/L5, L5/S1 herniations and L2/L3 bulge.

L5/S1 taking on new shape, chronic sciatica, etc.

DEXA bone scan performed 5/7/14 showing mild osteopenia.

Surgery performed July 9th, 2014, Dr Clavel, hybrid three level lumbar.