ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Set for Pro-Disc L5-S1 Bertagnoli

Hello; I am scheduled to have a TDR with Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany in a few months. It appears it will be the Pro-Disc L. The Orthopedic surgeon that performed hand surgery on me in the U.S has a Pro-Disc C in his neck. He stated that there are very good surgeons in the US that perform said surgeries, and to not go with the oldest TDR design nor the newest. I have checked here in the U.S. One surgeon associative of the Cleveland Clinic informed me that he has taken out as many TDR's as he has put in and that I was not a candidate for TDR, and that TDR is dangerous especially in regard to the arteries. Another surgeon recommended fusion. After long hours of research I decided on Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany. I guess when it is over I will know and post my results. Wish me luck...
Old 03-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Administrator

Hi Dav, pls tell us more about your spinal history. And see:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f58...-health-11053/

Let me know if you need help with the above. Also, this multi-page topic is a must:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ications-9620/
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-24-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Signature Post Completed

Harrison; I completed the Signature Post.
Retired Verizon Engineer. I had a L5 - S1 Discectomy in 1999 with a few complications. Physical therapy exceeded expectations and I was pain free from that point until 2007. In 2007 I was put in a bad situation that required Herculean physical abilities, thus I damaged the L5-S1 region area. My wife and I flew to Bogen Germany in May of 2014, where I had L5-S1 ADR Surgery performed by Doctor Bertagnoli. We were very impressed with Doctor Bertagnoli, the hospital and staff.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:26 AM

Default Texas Back Institute

Hello Davros -

Welcome. You are in the company of many back pain people.
People on this board don't seem to be going to Bertagnoli so much now; I'm not sure why that is. If you are interested in consulting with experienced U.S. ADR surgeons I would try contacting the Texas Back Institute. All three of the surgeons there are extremely experienced. I saw Dr. Blumenthal recently and am considering him. There is also Dr. Zigler and Dr. Guyer. Expertise and experience, from what I understand, is critical if you are to have ADR surgery and they definitely have it.
Most U.S. surgeons will discourage ADR. It is extremely confusing to know who is more right on this issue. The FDA studies showed ADR to be at least as safe and effective as Fusion. Despite what many here will say about the FDA, their studies on the Prodisc are, to date, the only thorough, objective and multi-center studies done on the procedure.
I hope that helps get you started. Many others will add to this, I am sure.
Microdiscectomy at L5S1 at HSS - failed
Lost successful business, went on disability; more "conservative" treatments
At 3 years fed up and deciding upon ADR or Fusion
Scared and uncertain
Old 03-24-2014, 10:12 AM

Default ProDisc

Hi Dav,
First, I wish you all the best in your surgery with Dr. Bertagnoli. I chose to use Dr. Blumenthal, at TBI for my 3 level LUMBAR hybrid (2 ADR and 1 fusion). From what I'd researched, the ProDisc C had pretty good success rates as well.

You can find more information on here by doing a simple search. Just type in your keywords (such as ProDisc, Bertagnoli, Insurance, etc)... While I haven't been on in a while, I can't imagine not going through what I did without all of these friends.

Best of luck,

Quote:
Originally Posted by davros354 View Post
Hello; I am scheduled to have a TDR with Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany in a few months. It appears it will be the Pro-Disc L. The Orthopedic surgeon that performed hand surgery on me in the U.S has a Pro-Disc C in his neck. He stated that there are very good surgeons in the US that perform said surgeries, and to not go with the oldest TDR design nor the newest. I have checked here in the U.S. One surgeon associative of the Cleveland Clinic informed me that he has taken out as many TDR's as he has put in and that I was not a candidate for TDR, and that TDR is dangerous especially in regard to the arteries. Another surgeon recommended fusion. After long hours of research I decided on Dr. Bertagnoli in Germany. I guess when it is over I will know and post my results. Wish me luck...
2012 trauma lumbar following yard work
Nov 2012 MRI Bulging discs L4,5, S1
Mild stenosis
Dec-Jan PT
Jan 2013 Discogram
Results Level 5 Annular tears L3-4, L4-5 and L5-S1
Need 3 disc fusion
Facet Joints injections, March 2013- no relief
Transform.., Epidural Injections 4-23-13 Right L2-3 No relief
2nd ESI 5-14-13 L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 No relief ugh.
ADR L3-4, L4-5, Fusion L5-S1 Fusion Dr.Blumenthal TBI July, 2013
Old 03-24-2014, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the advice and the links that appeared at the bottom of the page. It is all very helpful.
Retired Verizon Engineer. I had a L5 - S1 Discectomy in 1999 with a few complications. Physical therapy exceeded expectations and I was pain free from that point until 2007. In 2007 I was put in a bad situation that required Herculean physical abilities, thus I damaged the L5-S1 region area. My wife and I flew to Bogen Germany in May of 2014, where I had L5-S1 ADR Surgery performed by Doctor Bertagnoli. We were very impressed with Doctor Bertagnoli, the hospital and staff.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Default Many Types

Davros,

Please look at the Spinal Kinetics M6.

If I can get pre-authorization from BC World, I will have three of these.

They best mimick the natural movement of the (natural) disc.

The ball and socket, seem to cause much unnatural movement, and cause (hypertrophy, I know, I have this already) (wear and tear) on the facet joints.

The M6, has motion in six degrees, hence, the name M6.

There are many that can put this in, and have implanted thousands.

Will not recommend who you should see, but if you send me Private, I can give you more details and who I will go see.

All the Best, one issue for sure, this is a game changer.

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 03-24-2014, 08:46 PM

Dave,

After your "long hours" of research it sounds as though you've done your due diligence. Finding someone with more experience than Bertagnoli would be difficult.

Good luck, Jeff
Conceded defeat to a manifestly disingenuous BCBS-TX in my quest for reimbursement, Jan 2011