ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > International Assistance

International Assistance Any topics relating to traveling or communicating with international treatment locations are here.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:50 PM

Default ohip

Anyone from ontario canada know if ohip will pay for 2 level adr overseas? Been waiting 12 yrs with no end in site and I have to get off the meds because my liver is about done. If not anyone know about finacing?
Old 05-03-2014, 09:14 PM

Default Canada

Need to find a PA, Patient Advocate.

Look for help with your condition

L2-3 herniation, two days before Thanksgiving, 2012, Discectomy/Laminectomy, 3/13 Numbness in the right leg, lateral femoral, gone, July 10, 2014 L45 M6 ADR, July 15 PLIF L5-S1, Not able to access L51 Anterior.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:17 PM

Default Ohip

I met with another member recently. Her name is Maddie and she informed me that OHIP does not pay for ADR surgery abroad. While she spent significant time fighting OHIP, she was unsuccessful in the end. However, she did travel and was glad that she did. You may have better luck as my recollection is that she had surgery a few years back. You may want to PM her. Good luck.
2013/2014 – Dessication and significant disc height loss at L4-L5 & L5-S1; L3-L4 disc bulge with hypertrophy; mild spinal stenosis; Grade 1 anterolisthesis (3mm); L4-L5 - marginal spurring and moderate hypertrophy causing neuroforaminal narrowing; L5-S1 - moderate-severe neuroforaminal narrowing; lumbar lordosis is straightening.

New pains & functional limitations in late 2013 led to exploring ADR procedures. Consulted with 8 surgeons domestically and 9 in Europe.
May 2014 – Anterior and posterior incisions in a 5-hour surgery resulted in 2 M-6s and one facet joint prosthesis (dynamic stabilization system). On the road to full recovery.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 PM

Default simenad

I'm from Manitoba and from what I checked there is no health insurance that covers ADR surgery in another country available in Canada. You can write off some of the cost as a medical expense on your taxes but that is about it.
I spoke with a number of local back surgery patients that went to Germany and they all basically told me that. From what I gather ADR surgery is considered experimental in Canada. I have yet to hear from any Canadian being reimburesed for adr surgery in another country. If there is one I'd love to hear from them and let me know how they did it. I have heard that some that have their own business can get a certain insurance policy that would cover the surgery, problem being is that the premiums are so high they were uncertain that it wouldn't cost more in the end.
Why do you think you need a 2 level ADR?

Last edited by Stonewall_Boris; 05-04-2014 at 11:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2014, 09:58 AM

I've found two hospitals that do minimally invasive spinal surgery in Ontario, one is not taking new patients and the other is a 1-1 2/2 year wait for an appointment. Have you looked at the OHIP site and the Out of Country section?
Old 10-29-2014, 11:20 AM

Default 2 level ADR OHIP

Been doing some research and OHIP will accept out of country referrals. I know that they have a come a long way with ADR and do not know much about 2-3 level ADR but they will look at it if you can present new information that demonstrates the value etc. I know Prof Dr. Bertagnoli has a lot of scientific studies etc on his website just for this purpose but he will not accept health care insurance. Does anyone know of a quality doctor/clinic that is willing to accept the Ontario Government Insurance (OHIP) payments? I have also inquired through some of the websites that offer assistance.
Old 11-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Simenad
I know the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center will accept OHIP but I don't know if they do multiple level ADR procedures. I got as far as going there for an exam ($200) and was most impressed. Unfortunately shortly after returning home I had a minor stroke, so I'm out of it. LOL, just had lumbar nerve blocks and they seem to be working, for now.
You absolutely have to have your Dr. on board, he has to complete and submit the forms to OHIP. As I understand it OHIP will pay a sizeable portion but not all, UPMC has an individual that handles the transaction.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:18 AM

Have all the out of country forms filled out. I know OHIP does cover one level ADR that is done in London Ontario but the consider 2 or more levels experimental. They also state that they will look at the new research if we present it to them so that is where I am now, trying to educate them on the 97% success rate multiple ADR has been experiencing the last 2-5 yrs.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:07 PM

Default Ohip

Simenad,

im Mac living in Ontario need a multi lever ADR. Your post is dated 2011. Can you update me on any new information?

Mac
Discectomy L4,L5 2006
Reinjured 2013
Noninvasive spine decompression no lasting effect
Told 2014 that I have to live with no strength and unstable walking.
April 21,2016 Arcadius cage fusion L5-S1, L4, & M6L L3 Dr.Clavel Bacelona Spine Centre
Old 09-10-2015, 01:13 PM

Default post 2011

No change, found some wording that OHIP will look technology if you can present data etc but have found no matter how many stats you present them with, they do not even look at it. Our basic medical community is not interested in repairing it especially if it means we will no longer be supporting the pharmaceutical companies.