ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

ML...

While I was traveling abroad, "earthing" helped me in many ways -- including sleep -- in terms of REM, dreaming and feeling full of life the next day. In terms of how I was connected to the ground, it just means that I walked barefoot and did morning exercises outside.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator

Default Earthing, Continued...

BTW, the first 50 pages of the earthing book can be downloaded here:

Earthing - Connect to the Earth and feel better...fast!

The entire book in audio version is available too.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:09 PM
Administrator

From the earthing web site, a few abstracts are listed on pubmed, one below. The results are impressive.

J Altern Complement Med. 2011 Apr;17(4):301-8. Epub 2011 Apr 6.
Earthing the human body influences physiologic processes.
Sokal K, Sokal P.

Department of Ambulatory Cardiology, Military Clinical Hospital, Powstancow Warszawy 5, Bydgoszcz, Poland. psokal ( at ) wp.pl

OBJECTIVES:

This study was designed to answer the question: Does the contact of the human organism with the Earth via a copper conductor affect physiologic processes?

Subjects and experiments:

Five (5) experiments are presented: experiment 1-effect of earthing on calcium-phosphate homeostasis and serum concentrations of iron (N = 84 participants); experiment 2-effect of earthing on serum concentrations of electrolytes (N = 28); experiment 3-effect of earthing on thyroid function (N = 12); experiment 4-effect of earthing on glucose concentration (N = 12); experiment 5-effect of earthing on immune response to vaccine (N = 32).

Subjects were divided into two groups. One (1) group of people was earthed, while the second group remained without contact with the Earth. Blood and urine samples were examined.

RESULTS:

Earthing of an electrically insulated human organism during night rest causes lowering of serum concentrations of iron, ionized calcium, inorganic phosphorus, and reduction of renal excretion of calcium and phosphorus. Earthing during night rest decreases free tri-iodothyronine and increases free thyroxine and thyroid-stimulating hormone. The continuous earthing of the human body decreases blood glucose in patients with diabetes. Earthing decreases sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, total protein, and albumin concentrations while the levels of transferrin, ferritin, and globulins α1, α2, β, and γ increase. These results are statistically significant.

CONCLUSIONS:

Earthing the human body influences human physiologic processes. This influence is observed during night relaxation and during physical activity. Effect of the earthing on calcium-phosphate homeostasis is the opposite of that which occurs in states of weightlessness. It also increases the activity of catabolic processes. It may be the primary factor regulating endocrine and nervous systems.

J Altern Complement Med. 2011 Apr;17(4):283-5.

Last edited by Harrison; 12-23-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: Deleted comment about related studies
Old 12-25-2011, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Question Post-op Relief?

Maybe when you are recuperating, you can figure out a way to get grounded. If you live in a warmer climate, just walk outside -- it's that easy! Besides, walking is the BEST thing you can do to help your body recover.

This study concerns DOMS, but other studies (both formal and anecdotal) show the same effect for helping people recover from trauma. Note the embedded graphs on pubmed - demonstrating dramatic changes in blood chemistry and pain levels.

J Altern Complement Med. 2010 Mar;16(3):265-73.
Pilot study on the effect of grounding on delayed-onset muscle soreness.
Brown D, Chevalier G, Hill M.
Human Physiology Department, University of Oregon, Eugene, Eugene, OR, USA.

Abstract

OBJECTIVES: The purpose of this pilot study was to determine whether there are markers that can be used to study the effects of grounding on delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS).

DESIGN AND SUBJECTS: Eight (8) healthy subjects were exposed to an eccentric exercise that caused DOMS in gastrocnemius muscles of both legs. Four (4) subjects were grounded with electrode patches and patented conductive sheets connected to the earth. Four (4) control subjects were treated identically, except that the grounding systems were not connected to the earth.

OUTCOME MEASURES: Complete blood counts, blood chemistry, enzyme chemistry, serum and saliva cortisols, magnetic resonance imaging and spectroscopy and pain levels were taken at the same time of day before the eccentric exercise and 24, 48, and 72 hours afterwards. Parameters consistently differing by 10% or more, normalized to baseline, were considered worthy of further study.

RESULTS: Parameters that differed by these criteria included white blood cell counts, bilirubin, creatine kinase, phosphocreatine/inorganic phosphate ratios, glycerolphosphorylcholine, phosphorylcholine, the visual analogue pain scale, and pressure measurements on the right gastrocnemius.

CONCLUSIONS: In a pilot study, grounding the body to the earth alters measures of immune system activity and pain. Since this is the first intervention that appears to speed recovery from DOMS, the pilot provides a basis for a larger study.

See the link and charts here: Pilot study on the effect of groundi... [J Altern Complement Med. 2010] - PubMed - NCBI
Old 05-05-2013, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Another update on Earthing, including an interview with Clint Ober and Dr. Mercola.

Might Electron Deficiency Be an Underlying Factor in Most Chronic Disease?
  • Electron deficiency syndrome is a groundbreaking discovery that could be an underlying factor in all chronic disease.
  • Industrialization and the introduction of plastics and other synthetic materials have disconnected us from the earth, which has interrupted the natural flow of electrons between the earth and you.
  • Electron deficiency has been shown to increase inflammation in your body which is a major risk factor for disease.
  • Bringing yourself back into contact with the earth via a process called “Earthing” can help reverse this deficiency, decreasing inflammation and reducing your risk for all of the diseases that are inflammation-based, such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis, and many others.

Source: Chronic Disease: The Biggest Killer in the U.S.