ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Naturopathic Corner

The Naturopathic Corner This forum contains posts relating to natural and alternative therapies, general nutrition and nutritional therapies, supplementation and more.

Old 01-13-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Default Prunes for building bone density

Pretty convincing study! Besides, grandparents always know better.

September 20, 2011

What Ten Dried Plums (Prunes) a Day Can Do for Your Bones - The Florida State University Study - Understanding the Science Behind the Prune's Effect Upon Bone Health
“Over my career, I have tested numerous fruits, including figs, dates, strawberries and raisins, and none of them come anywhere close to having the effect on bone density that dried plums, or prunes, have. All fruits and vegetables have a positive effect on nutrition, but in terms of bone health, this particular food is exceptional.

Dried plum(s) significantly increased bone mineral density of the ulna & spine in comparison with dried apples.

In comparison with corresponding baseline values, only dried plum(s) significantly decreased serum levels of bone turnover markers, including bone-specific alkaline phosphatase and tartrate-resistant acid phosphatase-5b.

The findings of this present study confirm the ability of dried plums(s) in improving bone mineral density in postmenopausal women in part due to suppressing the rate of of bone turnover and bone resorption."
-Bahram H. Arjmandi, Florida State’s Margaret A. Sitton Professor and chairman of the Department of Nutrition, Food and Exercise Sciences in the College of Human Sciences.

Hooshmand, S et al "Comparative effects of dried plum and dried apple on bone in postmenopausal women," British Journal of Nutrition 106(6):923-30, September, 2011. Epub 2011 May 31.

More here:

Happy Healthy Long Life: What Ten Dried Plums (Prunes) a Day Can Do for Your Bones - The Florida State University Study - Understanding the Science Behind the Prune's Effect Upon Bone Health
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Couple of thoughts: First, apparently cherries are of the same family as prunes. Don't know if they'll have the same effect on bone density but you'd have two kinds of fruits so you don't find yourself growing tired of prunes each day.

Second, having done some research after yet another disappointing dexascan, the drug holiday makes more sense than most would realize. My life-long need for antihistamines was re-evaluated when it turned up that they are linked to poor calcium absorption.
General joint hypermobility

Jim - C4/5, C5/6, L4/5 disk bulges and facet damage, L4/5 disk tears, currently using regenerative medicine to address

"There are many Annapurnas in the lives of men" Maurice Herzog
Old 01-14-2013, 08:43 PM
Administrator

Thanks Jim, for that update, sorry about the way you found out though. On a related note, a reminder to others that might not have seen this very meaty topic on osteoporosis and what to do about it:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...porosis-10179/

One of the documents in the multipage topic is attached -- it lists the substance (e.g., drugs or diuretics) and the mineral or vitamins that it depletes from the body. However, I don't know how comprehensive this list is. E.g., I noticed that fluoride did not indicate that it depletes iodine from the thyroid; this was proven decades ago by Dr. Max Gerson. So, take this information with a grain of salt.
Attached Files
File Type: doc SubstanceDepleted Nutrients.doc (42.5 KB, 4 views)
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate