ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 12-13-2006, 08:27 PM

Hi,

I am new to this site but would like to introduce myself to the community. I am 42 years old and have been in pain for around 20 years now.. Left upper thoracic pain, left neck and left head/face pain. Have tried injections, chiropractic (I am a chiropractor), phys therapy, massage, accupuncture, NMT and many other modalities to no avail. I have lived with the pain with a very poor quality of life. Have had X-rays that show a 22 degree Cervical-thoracic scoliosis that I assumed was the cause of my pain. However no Orthopedic surgeons or neurosurgeons agreed that this curve was significant. MRI's showed DJD and disc bulging at C6-7 but not outright herniation. In September had a Discogram which showed large tear in the C6-7 disc with much leakage of disc fluid. I believe this is my cause of pain and am now seeking ADR surgery.

Was looking at Stenum until reading this forum and hearing many horror stories. Is ADR on the cerical spine being done in the US? Is it only in the clinical stages here? Will I have to go to Germany to have this surgery?

Any recommendations are appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

Louis
Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Administrator

Louis, welcome! I am glad you found us. I answered part of your question in Arthroplasty Central...I'll chime back in after other members say hello.

Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-14-2006, 11:45 AM

Hi Louis,

I am also new to this site, but have been a "cervie" for eleven years. I have been investigating ADR for two months now, and will probably have a two-level ADR at C5-6 and C6-7. I have never heard of a C6-7 causing face pain. More typical for this level is scapular and arm pain. How big is the bulge? My experience is that once the disc fluid stops leaking, the climbing-the-walls pain eases up. It is my non-medical opinion that you need to get a better diagnosis as to what is causing your pain unless the discogram reproduced the type of pain you normally suffer. 22 degree scoliosis sounds like it might be a big factor in your pain.

Dr. John Regan in Los Angeles, who does ADRs and other surgeries, will examine your films and tests and do a telephone consultation for $100--this might be your best initial step. The Alphaklinik in Germany will also do a brief e-mail consult (possibly for free) if you send your films and reports electronically.

I have been trying to find out about the possibility of cervical ADR in the U.S. and it seems to be available only in clinical trials or under appeal to the FDA (called something like compassionate use).

I am a Workers' Comp patient in California and if have surgery that is not FDA approved, I will lose my rights to future medical costs related to my injury.
New injury + re-injury C3-7 in 8-06, initially causing "claw hand."
Latest MRI shows: 4.5mm disc protrusion,