ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:40 AM

Default Hi everyone! Freedom Disc/ ActivL?

Hi! I'm a 36 year old female with a re-herniated L5/S1 disc. My surgeon gave the options of a 2nd microdisectomy or a fusion. He said he is not a fan of the ADR's due to the anterior approach. So, I am making an appt with a local neurosurgeon that has more experience with them. I was looking at the AcivL but last night I stumbled upon the Freedom disc. It looks very promising. Everything says it will be approved by the FDA in 2018 but as far as I can tell it hasn't been approved yet.
November 2017 - Started PT - Did PT for 4 months
April 2018 - MRI shows severely herniated L5/S1 disc.
April 16th 2018 - Microdisectomy
October 2018 - MRI shows I'm re-herniated even worse this time. Options are 2nd microdisectomy or a fusion. (surgeon states he doesn't care for ADR due to the anterior approach) I am wanting the Freedom Disc
Old 10-15-2018, 02:43 PM

Hi J!

I just had the anterior approach TDR surgery with the Activ-L a couple of weeks ago in the same area you're you're looking to have it. The recovery was a little rough because of the anterior approach, and my surgeon went head-on instead of obliquely, for about the first week, but other than that it's been fantastic!

You can read my full story in the Surgical Outcome section of the forum, or click here:
https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13945

The Activ-L is the only artificial disc designed specifically designed for the L5-S1 junction. I would recommend it. Its given me my ability to walk back. It is FDA-approved and I had my surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia, the co-developing surgeon of the Activ-L, in Aventura, Florida.

The Freedom Disc for the lumbar is not FDA approved, which means it will likely not be covered by your insurance.

Best regards,
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American
Old 10-15-2018, 08:51 PM

Hi! That is GREAT news that you are doing so good. I have looked at the ActivL alot. I plan to get the Activ L if the Freedom does not get approved within the next couple of months. It has finished the trails in July 2018, just seem to be waiting for final results. I have an appt with Dr. Coric in Charlotte on Nov. 7th. I was scheduled for fusion on Oct. 22nd but have cancelled that appt in order to explore this ADR a little more before going for a fusion. Thanks so much for the link to your story. I will definitely give it a read. I'm so glad you are doing well. Gives me hope!!
November 2017 - Started PT - Did PT for 4 months
April 2018 - MRI shows severely herniated L5/S1 disc.
April 16th 2018 - Microdisectomy
October 2018 - MRI shows I'm re-herniated even worse this time. Options are 2nd microdisectomy or a fusion. (surgeon states he doesn't care for ADR due to the anterior approach) I am wanting the Freedom Disc
Old 10-16-2018, 03:56 PM

Thank you J!

Good choice on canceling the fusion and great job on finding this forum. You have a phenominal resource of information and people on here to help make your decision.

Everyone here certaibly helped me make the right choice to opt for ADR over a fusion. I champion the Activ-L for the L5-S1 junction, but any artificial disc is better than a fusion.

To put it simply, a fusion will likely lead to a faster breakdown on your adjacent joints. In the case of your L5-S1, a fusion could put your SI joints, hips and L4-L5 disc at the greatest risk following a fusion.

Most surgeons agree that the L5-S1 level is the most important level of the lumbar to keep mobile as it is the junction between the pelvis and spine. To immobilize it would be to restrict great movement from your core, and as mentioned above, the surrounding joints will try to compensate as much as they can in abnormal ways. Likely leading to their faster breakdown over time.

Any artificial disc placed at this level will be beneficial to preserve natural movement, however, they do not all restore normal disc height, nor do they all mimick the unique articulation of the joint at this level. The Activ-L is the only disc designed to do both.

All other artificial discs increase the disc height beyond the natural, normal level, which can lead to stress on the facets. The Activ-L is deisgned to copy the L5-S1 junction by mimicking natural articulation and disc height.

Would this at all be a problem for you? Potentially not. The freedom disc could work just fine for the rest of your life. There are plenty of people, I would certainly say the majority of patients, on this forum that have discs at that level that are not Activ-L and they're doing great. I don't think you can make a bad decision when it comes between Activ-L and the Freedom Disc, but just thought you should have some additional info.

Best of luck on your upcoming appointment and decision!
2017 - Blew out my back on leg-press. MRI showed L5-S-1 disc herniation and grade 1 retrolisthesis.
2018 - Successful ADR surgery with Dr. Rolando Garcia using the Activ-L implant.
2019 - In physical therapy for burning in feet, L4-L5 diffuse disc bulge and SI joint pain.
2020 - Getting better with one-on-one PT.

30 - Male - American