ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:22 AM

Default It's only a matter of time...

Hi,

I've had back problems for almost 30 years and things seem to be acting up again. Thought it would be good to do my research before I actually have to do something about it.

I've only looked a little, but I'm very impressed with this site and am glad to have found it. I have all the usual questions about options for treatment including trials, and how to deal with the costs / insurance.

My history:

1984 - Herniated disc @ L4-L5 (shoveling snow)
1994 - Discectomy / Laminectomy @ L4
2010 - Herniated disc @ L5-S1 (don't actually know when this happened or how)

I had an MRI recently and a report with all the technical detailed proper language (annular tear, disc protursion, bilateral facet hypertrophy, foraminal stenosis, DDD, facet arthropathy, etc.) but decided to keep this message relatively short.

A summary of my symptoms follows - I have low level pain in my back and legs all the time that intermittently gets worse (especially if I have to cough or sneeze) and can occasionally cause significant loss of strength in my left calf. I'm not currently taking any medication. I do some stretching every morning, but have gotten to the point where it's difficult to do any real excercise.

I try not to let my back stop me from doing most things (work, household chores, etc.). If it does start to interfer much more than it does today, I'll get serious about taking some kind of action...
Old 12-10-2010, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Welcome, but sorry you are here. You may have seen this long, important topic already:

http://www.adrsupport.org/forums/f51...ications-9620/

It sounds like you are really struggling to get out of pain, while also researching the best treatment options. Thirty years of aggravation? My gosh.

Facet arthosis, especially if advanced, is definitely a contraindication. So be careful as you research and talk to doctors!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 12-11-2010, 02:12 AM

Hi Harrison - thanks for the welcome! I'm sorry I'm here also, but very happy to have found this forum (and impressed).

As I indicated in my earlier post, I recently had an MRI and there was no mention of Facet Arthrosis (plenty of other problems).
Old 12-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Hey again Colorado,

Regarding facet issues, terminology can be confusing. You said that facet arthropathy was noted on the MRI, right? Any facet issues must be carefully assessed. If any of these are noted on the MRI, pursue further research on your condition and eligibility:
  • facet arthropathy
  • facet arthrosis
  • facet arthritis
  • zygapophyseal degeneration
There are two facet joints (zygapophyseal joints) between the vertebrae of each spinal segment along the spinal column. Either can be problematic!

Here's a concise review of the Z joints: Lumbosacral Facet Syndrome: eMedicine Sports Medicine
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate