ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Hi. I'm quite confused trying to figure out what "ergonomic" chair is best (w/check with friend who has Consumer's Report tomorrow) for sitting at a desk causes pain.

Thanks in advance, ans
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-09-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Mariaa has a neat technique -- a physio ball!!!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 PM
Banned

More than a year before my surgery, my dad bought me a relax the back store zero gravity chair. They are very expensive. I was on disability and never would have forked over that much money. In retrospect, it was worth much more than we paid for it. I'm not sure I would have survived until my surgery without it.

Mark
Old 03-09-2005, 08:17 PM

Working in IT, I sit at a desk all day, I had originally bought a cheaper desk chair, but had to go back and buy one of those slick Mesh Manager's chairs with the movable lower lumbar support and neck support (Russell Executive Mesh Chair Item # 609880). Office Depot had them on sale a few weeks ago for about 190....

The chair makes a huge difference, I thought I could make do with a cheap chair, but I was wrong, ..... I can sit for more than hour now.....

Also Office Depot delivers it to your door free!!

John
Greensboro, NC
DDD L5-S1
Lost all ADR Appeals w/ UHC PLIF Fusion L5-S1 on 5/17/05.
Pars Defect L3-L4
DDD L3-L4 L4-L5
3 LVL Fusion Scheduled 4/08
Old 03-09-2005, 09:49 PM

great post ans.
I am a 3rd year law student and find myself having to write and read standing up, but then that starts to hurt. I have one of those kneeing ergo chairs, the ones the kinda tilt you forward, but I am not sure that one is any good either. let me know what you find out as I am going to be doing a lot of sitting as I study for the bar.
ciao
Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 AM

Mark, looks like this would be the one. Thanks for answers; I'll look around and dmh, if I find anything w/let you know here. Good luck on the Bar exam.
Severe, extensive DDD, considered inoperable by Dr. Regan, Lauressen, & some guy at UCLA. Severe foraminal stenosis (guess they can't operate!) and some spinal cord compression that Lauryssen would fix if gets outta hand.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:15 PM

The following article by a good pt discusses what types of chairs are good for what types of back problems and how to fit chairs to a patient

Once you understand the principles, I think it's easier to get a chair that works for you.

The thing is there is no one best chair, it depends on your specific back problem, what you do while sitting, and your dimensions.

This store fit me to a chair and it's the only one I sit for any length of time.

Eileen Vollowitz. "Furniture prescription and the conservative management of low back pain"

http://www.backdesigns.com/AB1921000...nrx.pdf?SID=1&
Old 03-10-2005, 03:24 PM

Thank you Lisa for the article.

Btw, I mysteriously found this in my junk mail folder today:

http://www.sit4less.com/?OVRAW=ERGONOMIC%20CHAIR&OVKEY=...0chair&OVMTC=con tent