ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:33 PM

Default New Member

Hello everyone,
Like so many others, I have been lurking here and there trying to find more info on ADRs. First, a little about me:
I survived three auto accidents in three years (none my fault - autos were total loss) 1986, 1987, 1988.

The first time I was diagnosed by chiropractor with whiplash injury in my neck and middle of my back. I was treated for 3 months before being pain free. The next two wrecks aggrivated the condition. Each time I needed therapy for neck and back pain/burning sensation. Each time required a couple months of therapy to overcome the pain. No more problems until,...
2004, I'm shoveling heavy wet snow and "SNAP" my neck and back were in excruciating pain. X-rays and MRI reveal bulging discs. Physical therapy, muscle relaxers & pain pills provided only temp relief but CESI and two weeks rest did the trick. No problem until,...

2008, I'm attemping my first Dive Roll over another TKDer and landed on my neck and shoulder. X-rays and MRI reveal bulging discs have not changed. Again, Physical therapy, muscle relaxers & pain pills provided only temp relief but CESI and rest did the trick. However, as I trained harder in martial arts, the pain began to return. Stiff neck, muscle knots that keep recurring and acupuncture, physical therapy, massage, muscle relaxers and pain pills only postpone the inevitable. Now, just sitting upright in a chair makes my left arm ache and my left hand tingle.

Latest MRI reveals herniation at C5-6 with little change to C6-7.

Orthopedic surgeon has recommended 2 level fusion. I'm looking for other alternatives. I am not looking forward to battling BCBSIL for 2 level ADR, but that seems to be my best bet.
Chiropractic, physical therapy, TENS, acupuncture, massage, epidural steroid injections
Metaxalone !!! Massage in a pill !!!
Old 04-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Default Welcome

Hey TK, sorry you are here, but welcome to our community. Are you looking for general information about disc replacement? Do you have also have specific questions? Have you read the risks and contraindication topic yet?

Also, tell us more about the "TK" thing...what's that all about...

Thx!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 04-23-2010, 04:03 PM

Default Newbie Thanks

I've done some considerable research on ADRs already but I still need to find info on FDA approval updates, insurance coverage (specifically BCBSIL), and how to find the contraindictions topic.

TK (TKD) refers to Tae Kwon Do. I am a 1st Dan / Assistant Instructor. I plan to continue my training / teaching and need a solution that doesn't limit my motion.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their experiences.
Chiropractic, physical therapy, TENS, acupuncture, massage, epidural steroid injections
Old 04-24-2010, 02:53 PM
Administrator

Wink

Hey TK, the contraindications topic is the first one in Arthroplasty Central.

And thanks for spelling out Taekwondo! I should know better since I took that in 1996. I was amazed how challenging it was for me to learn, though I thought I was athletic. I'll never forget doing a round the house and falling right on my butt! But I loved how strong I felt in my lower body after just 4 weeks. I continued for 4 more months until I moved.

That said, I can't think of a more stressful sport for the lower body and any possible prosthetic hardware in your spine. I am pretty sure there are martial artists with artificial discs, but maybe you would consider moving into martial arts for old men like me -- Tai Chi or Qigong?!
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM

HAS IT BEEN A MONTH?
I've been so preoccupied with my condition and worrying about what I'm can do (self indulgent self pity) that I've been hiding in my rest-and-recovery recliner.
I saw my ortho again and he feels that I'm making some progress (however slight) and that I should give it a little more time. He also prescribed a new muscle relaxer - metaxalone - which is like a massage in a pill. Nothing like cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril). WOW! What a difference! When the muscles in my neck and shoulders start to tense up, I take 1/2 a pill and it stops (an hour later). No sleepiness, dopiness or loss of control. Just relaxed muscles. Now I can continue my traction, PT and TKD (slow and easy for now! I still get pins-and-needles in my arm & hand sometimes, but it's managable, for now.
Give up TKD? I don't think so. Tai Chi or Qigong? I might supplement my training with those. TKD isn't the hardcore military boot camp it used to be (at my dojang, anyway). But it's still an excellent workout. It's kept me going for the last 4 years!