ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 01-02-2016, 12:19 AM

Default C2-3 Artifical Disc Replacement??

Does anyone know if you can have ADR done at the C2-3 level, and is it safe?
I have right foranimal narrowing with an osteophyte that is compressing my Vagus and Accessory Nerve roots, causing pain in my face, throat, SCMs, cranial, ears, teeth, and jaw with a gagging reflex. These nerves innervate at the C2-3 and are 100 percent causing my issues. I know that the spur can be removed, but my axial cut also looks like my disc is slightly touching my thecal sac as well.
Just food for thought, as everyone's advice and assistance is greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

FYI, I do have consults with Dr. Lauryysen and Dr Clavel within the next 2 weeks.
1 ADR M6-L at L4-5 (1 10mm)
-Torn disc (fissuring), loss of disc height (mild DDD), approaching thecal sac as well
*Gained 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in height due to M6 disc height, and perfect lordosis now

Last edited by TheGrt8; 01-02-2016 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:55 PM
Administrator

Sorry about the late reply, Grt8. Did you already have an appt with your doctor?

Upper level cervical procedures are rare. I recall Dr. Bertagnoli has done "many," meaning more than a dozen. It's likely more than one-hundred but I can't say for sure.
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 01-10-2016, 07:30 PM

Default about your question

I too know that Dr. Bert'. has done that level. I have heard of surgeons in the US doing facet joint replacement there. I would still refer to Dr. Clavel. I mentioned mine to him when I had my 2 level ADR last May. It's the last level of my neck that hasn't had surgery. I wanted to know what my options were if that level ever went out. He said hopefully it wouldn't as that level the disc is stronger for some reason.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 01-11-2016, 08:47 PM

Harrison and Cheryl thanks so much for your reply, it's greatly appreciated!
Dr Lauryssen said that ADR at that level can be done, and that I definitely have a lateral bone spur in my fornamen, but does not think it's causing my symptoms. Then again, everyone is wired differently and he is curious to know what Dr Clavel states. All my symptoms add up to that level, being compressed on my accessory and vagus nerve. There's no explaination for my constant gagging reflex, pain in face, head, ears, neck (which is also locked up), and the consistent stiffness in my traps and deltoids. When I tilt my neck or sometimes turn it, I get referral in my pelvic area. After my surgery with Dr Clavel, the majority of my symptoms are back. My neck still was never right, but after 3-4 weeks of PT and her doing 3-4 dry needling sessions in my adductors and hamstrings, my lower extremity symptoms came back. I still have a huge underlying issue that's neurological, or is it possible that my mechanically I'm fixed, but my brain isn't registering my new spine, or am I doomed for life? The Vagus and accessory nerve at C2-3 is your sympathetic nervous system, so it would all make sense.
I've sent Yolanda a couple of emails and waiting for my consult. I'm getting desperate as I cannot sit, and my hips and IT bands lock up and tighten as well. Nothing seems to help me (massage, stretching, etc). Just flares me up.
-Torn disc (fissuring), loss of disc height (mild DDD), approaching thecal sac as well
*Gained 1 1/2- 1 3/4 inches in height due to M6 disc height, and perfect lordosis now
Old 01-12-2016, 01:41 PM

Default not much help though

I really don't know a lot about the C 2/3 level other than what I have read on line and Dr. Clavel did not expand on what option would be if something did go wrong with that level. He merely told me that he did not seeing anything with mine at the time that warranted treatment.
There are dynamic stabilization devices that I have read about on here under "The Cutting Edge" new facet joint replacements etc. Most of what I read here in the US docs just wants to fuse it. They try to say that it dangerous at that level. If you can fuse it; it's no more dangerous than placing an ADR.
I would continue to talk with Dr. Clavel or the other you mentioned Dr. L.

I have had some occipital nerve pain in the past but nothing like what you are describing; so I would not be any help to you with that.
2009 fusion with Roi-C @ C3-4
2015 MRI & CT mjr ddd @ C6-7, segmental kyphosis at C7-T1, 2-level M6-C prosthesis by Dr. Clavel Barcelona Spain
2019 H.O. formed behind M6-C @ C6-7 left nerve rt & in spinal canal.
2020 Revision C6-7 to a CP-ESP prosthesis by Dr. Schmitz Dusseldorf Germany
Old 01-12-2016, 02:39 PM

Thanks for the reply Cheryl, and best of luck with your continued healthy and speedy recovery :-) I'll keep you posted, as I have my consult with Dr Clavel next Thursday afternoon.