ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 PM

Well, now that my wedding day has come and gone , I have decided that it's time to get serious about this crazy back of mine. I have been seeing one of the top orthopedic surgeons in NY. After 2 discograms, it was found that I had a nasty bi-lateral tear of L5-S1. I have exhausted the bed rest, P/T, injections, etc options & had an IDET done. Well, after 1 year, that was a failure as well.
The past few weeks have been very trying for me pain wise, so I decided that it's time to get the ball rolling here on getting a 2nd & possibly a 3rd opinion about this ADR surgery. I really like my current Dr., it's just that he's only done a handful of these surgeries & that's just not enough to make me comfortable about having him do the surgery. I'd also like to have another opinion as well. Can anyone here suggest an orthopedic surgeon who accepts No-Fault Insurance who is in the New York area? I live about 2 hours north of NYC. Thank you all in advance for your time. Wishing everyone all the best with their health!
Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 11-22-2005, 02:25 AM

Hi Karin,

If you want THE most experienced ADR surgeons in the NorthEast - see below. I don't know if they take no-fault insurance.

James, J. Yue, M.D.
Yale University
Department of
Orthopaedic Surgery
800 Howard Avenue
New Haven, CT
203-737-5656
http://info.med.yale.edu/ortho/clinical/yue.html

Fabian Bitan
Spine Institute of New York

130 E. 77th Street, 7th Floor
New York, NY 10021-1896
Phone: (212) 744-8115
Fax: (212) 744-8407

Dan
Charite @ L5-S1 8/2/05 with Dr. Regan
Struggling with facet joint pain.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:04 AM

Dan,
Thank you so much for the info. I will be looking into contacting these doctors. I had an appointment with my ortho 3 days ago & he had mentioned that he had met with Dr. Bitan at a meeting & they were discussing how Dr. Bitan would proceed with implantation of an ADR in one of my Dr's patients. My Dr, is expecting to do his 6th ADR surgery next week. He was kind enough to give me 3 phone numbers of his patients that he's done the procedure on (including a 2 level) that I can call & speak to about the surgery. We'll see how that goes. Thank you again & all the best on your continued recovery!
Karin
Disc Bulge C4/C5, Disc Degeneration T11/T12, Bi-Lateral tears L5/S1, Diagnosed w/ Lumbar Disc Derangement w/ Radiculopaphy. Treatment: IDET, Percutaneous Discectomy, SI Joint Injection, Facet Block. All failed. Empire BC/BS Denied Coverage for ADR-lost all of my appeals. MVP also denied coverage.

ALIF/PLIF Fusion 1/20/09
Old 11-25-2005, 02:10 AM

Hi Karin,
Congratulations on your wedding! I too was married this year and underwent ADR 4 months later. I am from across the country, but would second Dan's recommendations.
http://www.myspace.com/luvmysibe
http://www.xanga.com/luvmysibe
"A smile is contagious, be a carrier ."
Old 11-25-2005, 09:06 AM

Do any of these doctors do the Maverick disk? I know Bitan doesn't, however he is probably the most experienced Charite disc Dr. in the USA. I personally am holding out until the FDA approves the Maverick. There are Dr's doing trials of these next-generation discs in NY. I believe HSS on NY is but I'm not sure of the Dr's name. (Sandhu?, Cammisa?) You may want to consider holding out for the better disks to be approved next year. I'm all about the titanium...

Just my 2 cents.

Good luck!
Epidurals and facet injections
5/15/06 Discogram confirmed L4-L5 DDD also an asymptomatic L5-S1 tear
10/24/06 L4-L5 Prodisc surgery with Dr. Goldstein
CAT scans & X-Rays show ossification
Trigger Point Injections, Medial Branch Blocks, Acupuncture, Weekly Deep Tissue Massage
10/27/08 Discogram (positive L5-S1 tear)
11/25/08 L5-S1 fusion with Dr. Goldstein
FAILED BACK SYNDROME
Liberty Mutual WC