ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > The Big File

The Big File All issues not easily categorized in the above forums are here. Comments on general health, diet, "getting comfortable," and more are here.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:31 PM

I have read lots of information about different hospitals & doctors. I finally got up the nerve last Friday to call Texas Back Institute to find out what I needed to do for an appointment. I was shocked when she said I could see Dr Zigler this Wednesday for a consultation.

I am excited and anxious about about the result. I hope to find out if I am a candidate for ADR and what the next steps will be if I am.

I am also anxious about surgical recovery and possible complications.

Any advise on what questions to ask?
Thanks,

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler
Old 05-08-2007, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Jane, there are a zillion questions you CAN ask, and this forum is good for helping you figure those out.

Perhaps the most helpful question I asked in 2004 to my doc was, "can you explain my diagnosis to me, and show me with the imaging (XRays)?" After Dr. Banco did that with me, it changed my world -- and I knew I was on the right path! Gotta run...
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 05-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Harrison brings up a good point about asking Dr. Zigler to explain your MRI and X-Rays to you. Ask him if he thinks a disc will fit in the L5/S1 slot or if he thinks that there is a possibility of fusion (and what that possibility is). He has tons of experience and he really tries to put a disc in that location instead of fusing it.

He had to try extra hard to replace my L5/S1 with a disc but he did it.

I just realized that your post was last week, so you've probably already met Dr. Zigler.

How'd it go? You can private message or post to this board any questions you might have.
L4/L5, L5/S1 herniated and bulging, Discogram confirmed
Three spinal nerve blocks, One SI joint nerve block, 8 wks of PT, pain/anti-inflammatory meds
L4/5, L5/S1 ProDisc ADR with Dr. Zigler at Texas
Old 05-11-2007, 06:14 PM

Thanks, Paula.

Actually, I had had my MRI and xrays explained so many times I didn't ask that. It never occured to me that if the surrounding bones were in good condition they couldn't get a disc in the space. I asked more questions about recovery periods and activity restrictions.

I really like Dr. Zigler and feel he will do everything possible to put in a new disc. However, he did explain that since my disc is completely gone and has been for awhile he may not be able to get the space open enough to insert a disc and there may not be any option but a fusion. He knows I am pretty adament against a fusion, and said he would do his best and not give up easily. BUT I have to understand that if he can't get the disc inserted, then there is no choice but to fuse the area.

I have every confidence in him and I do not feel another doctor could do any better. The office staff is also very supportive. That young assistant doctor who is there for the next year learning (I don't remember his name) was the most negative. He said I was possibly looking at a fusion, would probably still have some pain, etc. Of course, it did open my eyes to some very real issues.

I had read and thought I understood some of the complications, but I had never really considered a partial improvement as a possiblity. I have had reconstructive surgery on both my feet in the past and after the recovery period all the pain went away. While they are scarred I can walk without foot pain or any other foot problems. I guess I thought a successful back operation would be the same after the recovery period. It certainly has given me things to ponder. It is all very complicated.

Jane
20 years of back problems, no known specific cause
5/9/07 at Consultation Texas Back Institute, Dr. Zigler
7/5/07 Insurance struggles
7/19/07 Prodisk surgery, TBI, Dr Zigler