ADRSupport Community  

Go Back   ADRSupport Community > General Discussion > New Member Introductions

New Member Introductions If you just joined, please introduce yourself here. Please add a signature describing your spinal history (use the "User CP) and ask us how we can help you get started.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:52 PM

Default Contact sports and adl...

Hello, I'm Aln. I had an active l placed an l5 s1 in early December, 2018. So I'm 8 weeks post op, and feel that I'm coming along well. No real pain to speak of other than the normal stuff. I have a couple questions if you don't mind.

I started physical therapy at 2 weeks and have been doing my exercises daily since then. I do take one day off per week to recover. I walk around a pretty good bit and it feels great. I plan to ask the questions to my surgeon, but the questions that I've asked have had different answers each time,you lol. Also I tend to forget to ask these questions so it would be nice to have some real world experience from the patient's side.

Is it normal for me at this point to not be able to bend very much and not work on it directly as therapy? I know bending and twisting are no nos, but I feel like I'm maxing out my flexion pretty quickly when getting around throughout the day. Therapy has focused on core, which is very important, and legs. I also stretch my hamstrings which I'm sure will help with my back. My surgeon did say that I need to definitely avoid extending my back because it could pop the disk forward since they implanted it anteriorly. He said he wasn't as concerned about flexing forward as much. I'm just double checking since I think I'm the first Adr patient she has had, and she may just be going through the protocols for fusion patients.

What is the prognosis for me as far as combat sports? I have a background in martial arts and want to continue them. My surgeon told me no grappling until a year, but I forgot to ask about boxing. It is definitely less stressful on the back than grappling, but the mechanics of throwing a punch require a rotation of the hips, which I'm sure utilizes the lumbosacral joint (l5 s1). At say, 6 months, am I crazy to think that there is a chance that I could start light training in boxing? I read a study where folks were sky diving, rock climbing, etc with the same surgery at 3 months, which seemed crazy to me. I imagine that my bone will have remodeled into the active L pretty well after 6 months of healing.

Thanks!
Old 02-04-2019, 11:00 AM

Who performed your ADR?
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hi Aln, welcome.

It's only my opinion, but there should be no rush to perform PT. I would wait at least eight weeks. In fact, many people have been injured by starting to early!

And you need much, much more time to heal. What you are experiencing is typical.

When you can, please see:

https://www.adrsupport.org/forums/sh...ad.php?t=11053
Founder & moderator of ADRSupport - 2004
Founder Arthroplasty Patient Foundation a 501(c)(3) - 2006
Creator & producer, Why Am I Still Sick? - 2012
Donate www.arthropatient.org/about/donate
Old 02-05-2019, 07:13 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll get on that signature asap.

It did seem strange to me that people in that study were sky diving 3 months post op with the same exact surgery that I'm having. I'm in my early 30s and in good health, I usually heal up pretty well.

I was encouraged to get going with physical therapy early on because they were worried about scar tissue forming on my nerve and causing problems.

I am curious about why I can't bend forward.... Is it swelling? Too much pressure on the prosthetic? Core muscles cut during surgery?
Old 02-05-2019, 11:38 PM

Signature test
MRI showed DDD at L5 S1 with height loss
All conservative treatments failed
Doctor referred out for ADR, surgeon agreed
Surgery performed 12/18, pain is mostly gone from back and gone from glut. Can't bend forward.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aln View Post
Thanks for the info. I'll get on that signature asap.

It did seem strange to me that people in that study were sky diving 3 months post op with the same exact surgery that I'm having. I'm in my early 30s and in good health, I usually heal up pretty well.

I was encouraged to get going with physical therapy early on because they were worried about scar tissue forming on my nerve and causing problems.

I am curious about why I can't bend forward.... Is it swelling? Too much pressure on the prosthetic? Core muscles cut during surgery?
Who did your ADR?